Anyone up for a Gratuitous Space Battles Modding Cult?

Welcome to the shipyards. Here you can discuss how to re-calibrate the positronic neutron flow to double power to the aft shields. Or you can discuss how to add new ships, new maps, new scenarios, new modules, etc. have fun!
Zina Lazo
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Anyone up for a Gratuitous Space Battles Modding Cult?

Postby Zina Lazo » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:58 am

During the times when everyone has moved on to GSB2 or from GSB entirely a few of us remain creating mods for GSB 1. I propose a:
(The Image could probably use some work I admit)

Simple, sharing and a little community within a community (,within a community?,) that will focus on a last stand of Gratuitous Space Battles Modding until we move on or forget.

If at least some of who remain join the cult member list would go up to two. ;)

All jokes intended, I personally intend to stay until GSB2's modding gizmos and toys get to fun lookin' not to play with. Hope to see some of you here.
AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: Anyone up for a Gratuitous Space Battles Modding Cult?

Postby AcePalarum » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:47 pm

I promise my GSB modding efforts are not dead, just in sleeper-ship suspension while my attention is being consumed elsewhere. Guaranteed you will see me active here again, just maybe not for a little while yet. :)
While my ability to succeed is finite, my capacity for failure knows no bounds.
*Basement Tinkerer and OCD Savant of the Friendly Community Mod Squad*

Mods: Matmos Rift, Antares Expanse, Great Powers Stations
Zina Lazo
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby Zina Lazo » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:58 am

AcePalarum wrote:I promise my GSB modding efforts are not dead, just in sleeper-ship suspension while my attention is being consumed elsewhere. Guaranteed you will see me active here again, just maybe not for a little while yet. :)

Sooooo, should I put you down for joining the cult or delayed joining or what? :P
AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby AcePalarum » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:16 pm

Zina Lazo wrote:Sooooo, should I put you down for joining the cult or delayed joining or what? :P

I suppose that depends on how good the dental plan is. ;)

Call it a deferred membership for the moment. Full membership to follow as time and circumstances permit.

Zina Lazo
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby Zina Lazo » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:55 pm

AcePalarum wrote:I suppose that depends on how good the dental plan is. ;)

Okay if you want to...
Maveth
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Postby Maveth » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:02 pm

Though I've never posted any of my personal (very satisfying to me) mods, I might consider something like this.

After all, I've found that I don't really care for GSB2 -- and that I continue to play and tinker with GSB1.

YMMV.

Mav
Zina Lazo
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby Zina Lazo » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:24 pm

Maveth wrote:Though I've never posted any of my personal (very satisfying to me) mods, I might consider something like this.

After all, I've found that I don't really care for GSB2 -- and that I continue to play and tinker with GSB1.

YMMV.

Mav

Welcome Maveth, (A very lively name,) And feel free to post your mods or just stay with this community, my laptop that I had all my modding stuff on is suffering problems so I can't do much right now, witch sucks but now I am going off tangentially from what I was doing...
N3MES1S
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby N3MES1S » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:37 pm

Zina Lazo wrote:During the times when everyone has moved on to GSB2 or from GSB entirely

Nobody has moved to GSB2. The modding community of GSB2 is almost non existent. The game is probably inferior to GSB1, specially talking about modding. My guess is , people just finally got real lifes, and modding for GSB1 is a really time-consuming thing. Others were very dissapointed with GSB2 and they left the modding scene for good. I am debating on return to modding for GSB1 or to wait if someday GSB2 receives better modding support. At this rate, i dont think this second option will ever be come true, so i dunno. The only thing i like right now about GSB2 is the ligthing effects on the ships, and the possibility of make total conversion mods in a easy way, but of course thats only theory. As i noticed, sadly that is just that, theory.

One of the things that made me leave modding for GSB1 was the graphic glitches. One of em, was that my beams were firing under my turrets. This was fixed?? because if it is not.. ...... the other big issue i had that was the impossibility to use full custom bullets in my mods without replacing the whole game set. This was promised as a feature of GSB2.. but again, i dont think it has been implemented without doing a full conversion mod... maybe not even then. Im assuming things didnt change?
Zina Lazo
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby Zina Lazo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:01 am

We here at the GSBMC would welcome you. Blatant recruiting aside, while I am not the most knowledgeable about the beam bug you mentioned I have not had a problem with fully custom bullets. I would be glad to help in a mod but as I cannot currently work on my own mod with my laptop down, all I can provide right now is lore. Hope to see you around and thanks for the clarification. I guess I never really poked around GSB2's forums.
N3MES1S
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby N3MES1S » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:57 pm

Zina Lazo wrote:We here at the GSBMC would welcome you. Blatant recruiting aside, while I am not the most knowledgeable about the beam bug you mentioned I have not had a problem with fully custom bullets. I would be glad to help in a mod but as I cannot currently work on my own mod with my laptop down, all I can provide right now is lore. Hope to see you around and thanks for the clarification. I guess I never really poked around GSB2's forums.

I dont need help.. (i shoudnt anyways xD) i am a experienced modder (in general) but specifically for GSB. I did the galactic concordium mod, and others (at least i tried to finish em, but i was required in my real life). What i meant is, if you use custom bullets, you are replacing the ones vanilla races use. Thats have been that way since the beginning of times. So, when you fight against vanilla, they are going to use your bullets instead... so maybe by now i thought that in any past update cliffski made possible to use separated custom bullet sprites. For total conversion mods that is not a problem, but for anything else.. not being able to use different bullets than the vanilla races is a really huge wall to modding.

The main problem is, even with every single file correct and every single thing in place, mods dont work in GSB2.. period. And since its impossible to know what could cause a mod to not work (its not like GSB1 that you receive messages about turret mappings not found, and things like that), and cliffski is not around anymore and nobody will help you..its pointless. I tried for 5 days to get my stargate-daedalus ship to just show up, without success. Yesterday i started to make the same mod for GSB1, and in 5 minutes i had it working perfectly fine in the game. So, do you see the difference?? lol. It seems, for some reason the code of GSB2 is not prepared to handle custom hulls or watever. I dont have a clue whats the problem.
AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby AcePalarum » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:46 am

N3MES1S wrote:What i meant is, if you use custom bullets, you are replacing the ones vanilla races use.

Actually, custom bullet textures were implemented in GSB1 a while back. So you don't have to mangle the vanilla tech to get the look you want. :)

Zina Lazo
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby Zina Lazo » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:54 am

N3MES1S wrote: I dont need help.. (i shoudnt anyways xD) i am a experienced modder (in general) but specifically for GSB. I did the galactic concordium mod, and others (at least i tried to finish em, but i was required in my real life). What i meant is, if you use custom bullets, you are replacing the ones vanilla races use. Thats have been that way since the beginning of times. So, when you fight against vanilla, they are going to use your bullets instead... so maybe by now i thought that in any past update cliffski made possible to use separated custom bullet sprites. For total conversion mods that is not a problem, but for anything else.. not being able to use different bullets than the vanilla races is a really huge wall to modding.

I believe that you can actually now specify which file for the weapon access to create the projectile so that you can create fully custom bullets, if that helps.
Sorry if I misunderstand what you say about separate custom bullets but I take it that from your post that you did not know this. Again sorry if I misunderstood.

Also I agree about the difficulty of modding GSB2 its why I started my mod in GSB in the first place. :)

*EDIT* I will also try to continue my mod once my laptop works or I can get the files off of it, and your Galactic concordium mod was good, I played with it installed quite often.

*EDIT2* I just realized that AcePalarum ninja'd me, all well now he is doubly informed.
N3MES1S
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby N3MES1S » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:12 am

Yay, i think the custom bullets update was just befor i quit.. i think i remember it. How was it? what parameter needs to be added in the module file?

So many things i totally forgot lol.
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:01 am

N3MES1S wrote:So many things i totally forgot lol.

Thats alright, thats why this thread exists ---> [Guide] GSB Modding 101

Scroll down until you see - Custom Bullets.
(I do not think its appropriate to clutter this thread with the how-to.)
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
-=Modding Guru & Egon Spengler of the Friendly Community Mod Squad=-
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:08 pm

darkstar076 wrote:(I do not think its appropriate to clutter this thread with the how-to)

Thanks, Darkstar; you're quite correct. Going forward from this point, further discussion of custom bullet sprites belongs in the Guide.

BTW, thank you for linking to the Guide itself. :) Too many people foolishly ignore it.

============================================================

All GSB1 modders:
Right at the very top of this forum, there is a special "sticky" thread named the GSB Modding 101 Guide. It's super-easy to see, so there is no excuse for not reading it. Because this forum for GSB1 Gratuitous Modding is a nearly uninhabited "ghost town", everyone with a modding question would be wise to read that guide before asking their questions. This is not merely a polite request from the site leadership to the public.

For more information, check the new P.S.A. (Public Service Announcement) I've just created for this subject.

============================================================

Now returning back on-topic to the GSB1 Modding Cult.
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞

Return to “Gratuitous Modding”