Indie Bundle

bugs and support requests for gratuitous space battles. welcome to main engineering...

Indie Bundle

Postby devosdk on Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:06 am

I bought GSB as part of Humble Indie Bundle #4. I want to buy the expansions off of Gamersgate, but the original game is on Steam. Often, games bought on GG have codes that are used to actually play the game on Steam. I wondered if anyone knows whether the DLC for GSB is this way before I buy it. If not, then I will just pay a little extra and get them all off Steam Store.
devosdk
Space cadet
Space cadet
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Indie Bundle

Postby Archduke Astro on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:23 am

devosdk wrote:I bought GSB as part of Humble Indie Bundle #4.

Excellent.

devosdk wrote:I want to buy the expansions off of Gamersgate, but the original game is on Steam. Often, games bought on GG have codes that are used to actually play the game on Steam.

Why not purchase the DLC directly from Positech, so that GSB's developer (Cliffski) gets a bigger slice of the pie and can commit to further support of this game??? You're not going to find many folks on this forum who concur with short-changing Cliffski. Think about how your request sounds from our point of view.

devosdk wrote:I wondered if anyone knows whether the DLC for GSB is this way before I buy it. If not, then I will just pay a little extra and get them all off Steam Store.

I truly don't know if it works in the way you speculate.
.
••• Positech GLOBAL MODERATOR / Forum Sheriff •••
________Keeping the forums clean & useful_______
GSB Lore Master / Guardian of the Great Powers' history

∞¢∆……Curator of Creative Concepts for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆¢∞
User avatar
Archduke Astro
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: my mod's Orbital Shipyard

Re: Indie Bundle

Postby darkstar076 on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:00 am

Archduke Astro wrote:
devosdk wrote:I want to buy the expansions off of Gamersgate, but the original game is on Steam. Often, games bought on GG have codes that are used to actually play the game on Steam.

Why not purchase the DLC directly from Positech, so that GSB's developer (Cliffski) gets a bigger slice of the pie and can commit to further support of this game??? You're not going to find many folks on this forum who concur with short-changing Cliffski. Think about how your request sounds from our point of view.

Couldn't have said it better Archduke

The more people that buy direct from Cliff (rather than 3rd party vendors) the more money Cliff has to provide further support / enhancements / features / upgrades for the games . . . So basically you benifit again.
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
-=Modding Guru & Egon Spengler of the Friendly Community Mod Squad=-
User avatar
darkstar076
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2116
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:14 am
Location: Lurking somewhere in the Forum

Re: Indie Bundle

Postby devosdk on Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:07 am

Because I prefer to have my games from as few sources as possible. The only reason I use Steam is that some games require it. It is why I do not buy from Direct2Drive or Impulse, either. I understand the position that it will help him out, but I doubt he wants paying customers to receive a lecture for not buying it directly either. But thank you for your help.
devosdk
Space cadet
Space cadet
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Indie Bundle

Postby darkstar076 on Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:18 am

devosdk wrote:Because I prefer to have my games from as few sources as possible. The only reason I use Steam is that some games require it. It is why I do not buy from Direct2Drive or Impulse, either. I understand the position that it will help him out, but I doubt he wants paying customers to receive a lecture for not buying it directly either. But thank you for your help.


Sorry if you thought it was a lecture, chief.

I was under the impression from your original post that you were considering where to get the DLC from (other than steam). Since you had a choice, I was advocating the benifits in going direct to the source. However based on your reply it seems i was mistaken and you are limited in your options on where to purchase the DLC - so, apologies on that count. (Since i try and avoid steam where possible, I cant answer the GG and Steam question)
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
-=Modding Guru & Egon Spengler of the Friendly Community Mod Squad=-
User avatar
darkstar076
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2116
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:14 am
Location: Lurking somewhere in the Forum

Re: Indie Bundle

Postby XViper on Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:41 am

The DLC Bundle directly from Positech is the cheapest option as far as I can tell anyway.
There's really no reason NOT to give Cliffski all your money. :D
XViper
Ships Engineer (senior)
Ships Engineer (senior)
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:07 am

Re: Indie Bundle

Postby cliffski on Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:39 am

I should humbly point out that I've been selling from this site since before

The Humble Bundle
Impulse
GamersGate
Direct2Drive
GoodOldGames
Desura
Steam

Were ever invented.
Granted, that means it's pathetic that I'm not rich yet :D, but it also means I'm not going anywhere, if thats a concern. Meanwhile, Impulse and Direct2Drive have both been sold (to gamestop and gamefly). Who knows who goes next?
User avatar
cliffski
Supreme Space Admiral
Supreme Space Admiral
 
Posts: 6351
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK

Re: Indie Bundle

Postby quae2Cae on Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:34 pm

First of all: Yes, I know this thread is quite old, but I think it's better to revive it than to e-mail cliffski directly or opening a new one.
Second order of business: Thanks for adding your game to the mentioned bundle and for supporting linux.

I quite recently took up desura as it is in my opinion the only valid digital distribution platform that has cross-platform support (I use linux exclusively). While there have been some bundles with desura keys enclosed bundle #4 only featured steam keys. I was rather pleasantly surprised to find GSB on desura as well, but that raises the question why there was only a Steam key for it in the bundle #4. For some this might be old news but I'm interested in the thought process that led to the decision to include a Steam key but no desura key. I realize you get access to a much bigger market by just releasing on steam but I can't believe that desura would actually cost you any money (instead of adding a little profit). Would you consider adding the keys retroactively (if at all possible)? Would you mind sharing your thought process? My impression was that you can set the price on desura yourself, so it would even be possible to add the DLC there for a higher price than on your site in order to get as much profit as you get by directly selling from your site? That way the users would be charged for the added comfort of having many of their games in one library.

Yes, I realize this post is much more mail-like but it seems to me from browsing through the boards that cliffski is responding quite often in threads.

So as a questions to the community: Would you like the DLCs to be available on desura? Would you be willing to pay a bit more so that cliffski makes the same profit as by selling through his site?

[edit] aaaaand i just realized this is the support forum, so at least the questions to the community are a bit misplaced here. That happens when you just use the search ;)
quae2Cae
Space cadet
Space cadet
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:13 pm

Re: Indie Bundle

Postby dahlgren on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:38 pm

Cliff,

Although I'm sure it's daunting to keep track of all those systems, now that Steam has a Linux client any chance we can see GSB show up there in the future?

Thanks in advance!
dahlgren
Space cadet
Space cadet
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:33 pm

Re: Indie Bundle

Postby cliffski on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:08 pm

Possibly, I just need to find time to arrange stuff like that. The linux version was only really made for the humble bundle, and TBH I have no idea what versions of linux it does and does not support and all that jazz. It was ported by a third party company. I only ever work on the PC builds of my games.
User avatar
cliffski
Supreme Space Admiral
Supreme Space Admiral
 
Posts: 6351
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK

Re: Indie Bundle

Postby Radwulf on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:12 pm

Just to add my interest for seeing GSB on Steam Linux. Getting games to work on Linux has often been a pain but of the games I've played in the Beta the experience has been seamless and I can easily imagine Steam becoming the dominant platform for Linux gaming. To not have GSB on it would be a shame. It would also help with the Linux dlc problems some people seem to be having.
Radwulf
Space cadet
Space cadet
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:00 pm

Re: Indie Bundle

Postby dafrandle on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:45 pm

cliffski wrote:I should humbly point out that I've been selling from this site since before

The Humble Bundle
Impulse
GamersGate
Direct2Drive
GoodOldGames
Desura
Steam

Were ever invented.
Granted, that means it's pathetic that I'm not rich yet :D, but it also means I'm not going anywhere, if thats a concern. Meanwhile, Impulse and Direct2Drive have both been sold (to gamestop and gamefly). Who knows who goes next?



OK i have to contest something here steam was released September 12, 2003 that's means your game needs to be about 10 years old, everyone here says "a few years now" this game looks a bit to fancy to be made in 2003
potato potato potato potato..... potato
lackluster imitation of thing that was good: http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7702
thing that was good: http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7516
User avatar
dafrandle
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:04 pm

Re: Indie Bundle

Postby Archduke Astro on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:50 pm

dafrandle wrote:
cliffski wrote:I should humbly point out that I've been selling from this site since before

The Humble Bundle
Impulse
GamersGate
Direct2Drive
GoodOldGames
Desura
Steam

Were ever invented.
Granted, that means it's pathetic that I'm not rich yet :D, but it also means I'm not going anywhere, if thats a concern. Meanwhile, Impulse and Direct2Drive have both been sold (to gamestop and gamefly). Who knows who goes next?



OK i have to contest something here steam was released September 12, 2003 that's means your game needs to be about 10 years old, everyone here says "a few years now" this game looks a bit to fancy to be made in 2003

Emphasis mine...please re-read what Cliff wrote.

He did not claim that he was selling GSB since before all those other game sellers first existed.

He did say that he has been selling games (as in, Positech's games in general) from this site since before those other vendors opened. Above, he singled-out no particular game of his; he was referring to all of them collectively.
.
••• Positech GLOBAL MODERATOR / Forum Sheriff •••
________Keeping the forums clean & useful_______
GSB Lore Master / Guardian of the Great Powers' history

∞¢∆……Curator of Creative Concepts for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆¢∞
User avatar
Archduke Astro
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: my mod's Orbital Shipyard

Re: Indie Bundle

Postby Maveth on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:44 pm

Archduke Astro wrote:
dafrandle wrote:
cliffski wrote:I should humbly point out that I've been selling from this site since before

The Humble Bundle
Impulse
GamersGate
Direct2Drive
GoodOldGames
Desura
Steam

Were ever invented.
Granted, that means it's pathetic that I'm not rich yet :D, but it also means I'm not going anywhere, if thats a concern. Meanwhile, Impulse and Direct2Drive have both been sold (to gamestop and gamefly). Who knows who goes next?



OK i have to contest something here steam was released September 12, 2003 that's means your game needs to be about 10 years old, everyone here says "a few years now" this game looks a bit to fancy to be made in 2003

Emphasis mine...please re-read what Cliff wrote.

He did not claim that he was selling GSB since before all those other game sellers first existed.

He did say that he has been selling games (as in, Positech's games in general) from this site since before those other vendors opened. Above, he singled-out no particular game of his; he was referring to all of them collectively.


Nice catch, AA. I oftentimes wonder if people actually pay attention to what is written...and you make a good point.

Mav
Maveth
Ships Engineer (senior)
Ships Engineer (senior)
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:36 am
Location: Arizona, United States


Return to Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests