Campaign balancing needs a serious overhaul...

Discussion of the space strategy game where you design ships, issue orders to your fleet, then play hands-off battles against human or AI designed enemies.

Re: Campaign balancing needs a serious overhaul...

Postby The Boz on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:20 pm

Frigates are useless. I've had success with fighterspam and a single cruiser, or all cruisers. Moderate success, mind you. I can't seem to get past turn 15 or so, I just lose too much.
Also, two planets passing each other by and attacking one another's planets... that is severely retarded. Why can't there be an auto-intercept battle in the middle of the warp lane?
MAKE LOVE, NOT SPAM!
The Boz
Ships Engineer (senior)
Ships Engineer (senior)

Postby joe1512 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:40 pm

I haven't had any luck with frigates either. In theory there are the armored-nomad frigates, but by the time I can get 0.8+ speed, 15 armor, I only have room for like 2 ion cannons which is laughable firepower relative to the cost of the ship.

When I first started playing Id use the Weapons Platforms with 7 plasma launchers(frigate), ok shields and a bit of armor. However, a frigate plasma launcher deals 1/2 the damage at slightly slower reload speed and less armor penetration relative to the cruiser version. So cost-wise, I really wasn't doing any better than going with a cruiser which has much thicker shields and better armor mitigation.

For those who are still trying the campaign, give yourself a boost and download the UniTy, Union, and Unity Viral races in the mods section. It takes a good deal of honor to unlock it all, but all 3 races give you a distinct advantage which makes the campaign more doable.

Unity Viral - basic ship components, but a vast number of hulls. Can make a 'tribe-like' MWM cruiser and put a universal tank in front of it as a damage soak, and other strats that you normally couldn't do. Their fighters are freaking awesome due to inclusion of special weapons like the frigate anti-fighter missile, and the corvette torpedo.

Unity basic - Lots of hulls, tho many are filler for scenarios. All weapons are modded to be double range, firing rate, or damage for 50% more cost,weight,etc. Can make some seriously strong fighters, good corvettes, and they have some very large hulls available.

Union - Fewer hulls. Able to make strong but very expensive fighters/corvettes. Frigates are lumbering monsters with crappy frigate-based weapons. Cruisers run from small cost-effective to enormous dreadnaughts, and cruisers have a full line of overpowered ship components and advanced weapons.
joe1512
Plasma Torpedo Loader
Plasma Torpedo Loader

Postby fusillade762 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:29 am

The biggest thing for me: I don't understand why the "AI" is allowed to conjure massive hard counter fleets from the ether at the drop of a hat. I'll win a couple battles, then encounter a fleet FIVE TIMES the HPs of anything I could have created up to that point. On CADET?

There has to be a way to tone this down.
fusillade762
Ships Engineer (junior)
Ships Engineer (junior)

Postby darkstar076 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:35 am

fusillade762 wrote:There has to be a way to tone this down.

Welcome to the forums Fusillade.

Yes there is a way to "tone down" the AI in the campaign but it would require a little text editing.
(something i have yet to try)
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
-=Modding Guru & Egon Spengler of the Friendly Community Mod Squad=-
darkstar076
Admiral
Admiral

Postby fusillade762 on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:25 am

darkstar076 wrote:
fusillade762 wrote:There has to be a way to tone this down.

Welcome to the forums Fusillade.

Yes there is a way to "tone down" the AI in the campaign but it would require a little text editing.
(something i have yet to try)

Thanks. Yeah, I just discovered the .ini editing trick. I was reluctant to cheat, but it's that or quit the game entirely. Just giving myself a bit more money (50k vs 30k) and some more pilots has already made a HUGE difference.
fusillade762
Ships Engineer (junior)
Ships Engineer (junior)

Postby 123stw on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:10 am

Frigate and campaign do not mix. In normal online challenges it doesn't matter rather you win 100% or 20%, a win is a win, so frigate rush has a place. If you ask frigate rush to actually win with a high percentage, well that's just not happening.
123stw
Admiral
Admiral

Postby March_Wizard on Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:12 pm

The problem with Campaign mode is that it isn't finished. You have fleets for "barbarian" planets, but there is no agency out there suffering through the same limitations as yourself. This makes the entire mode unsatisfying and a difficult sell when trying to get friends into the game. Galactic Conquest is wasted potential. I think it could have been the breakthrough expansion of GSB.
March_Wizard
Space cadet
Space cadet

Postby Rich12545 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:26 am

The campaign seems to be DOA. Obviously. It's still in beta while Cliffski was working on a GSB expansion and there still seem to be problems. There's been no input in the campaign forum since May. I haven't played in a long time (never did play a lot) waiting for it to be finished but I think I'll reinstall the base game, play that, and forget about the campaign as a waste of money.
Rich12545
Ships Engineer (senior)
Ships Engineer (senior)

Postby finebone on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:00 pm

I've been enjoying the campaign.

After I unlocked everything with honor points I jumped right into campaigns. It tought me to make fleets with at least .2 speed and survivability. (Which actually made my challenges harder!)

I'd eventually claw my way across the board and then BAM! hit a fleet that just owns me. I figure that's just part of the game. What I find really annoying is when I scout a fleet (using the single fighter approach) then save the game, it seems like the next time I load the game there's a different enemy fleet there. Very annoying.

Anyway, overall I think the campaigns are pretty balanced.

My only trick is that I don't build anything right away - I wait until turn 9 or so (just before threat level gets to 100%) In that way, I have more money and crew to build with initially.
finebone
Plasma Torpedo Loader
Plasma Torpedo Loader

Postby Archduke Astro on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:42 pm

finebone wrote:My only trick is that I don't build anything right away - I wait until turn 9 or so (just before threat level gets to 100%) In that way, I have more money and crew to build with initially.

I admit my campaign experiences aren't as current as yours, but still -- 9 ??? Hell, I routinely waited until at least turn 70 before sending out my major expeditionary fleets. Sometimes I wait even longer. With that amount of cash saved up, I can actually build fleets that are worth my effort and (usually) won't get mauled by the very first enemy fleet which sees them.

Sending out lone fighters as scouts is a different matter of course; I do that much earlier than turn 70. :D I share your frustration with the enemy fleet mix changing by the time your second force arrives. Formerly, the campaign didn't do that. :/
••• Positech GLOBAL MODERATOR / Forum Sheriff •••
________Keeping the forums clean & useful_______
GSB Lore Master / Guardian of the Great Powers' history

∞¢∆……Curator of Creative Concepts for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆¢∞
Archduke Astro
Admiral
Admiral

Postby akenatum on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:45 am

I found campaign rather quick to finish on the lower difficulties and i started aggressive from word go... you need to be willing to back up and lose worlds to push back out sometimes and i find holding a strong fleet behind a choke with 1-2 ships at te choke so i see what they got when they are coming for me till i'm ready to push them out works best for me.
akenatum
Space cadet
Space cadet

Postby finebone on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:59 pm

akenatum wrote:I found campaign rather quick to finish on the lower difficulties and i started aggressive from word go... you need to be willing to back up and lose worlds to push back out sometimes and i find holding a strong fleet behind a choke with 1-2 ships at te choke so i see what they got when they are coming for me till i'm ready to push them out works best for me.

Yeah, losing a world (escpecially if it's only a turn until a retaliation attack) is no big deal. Since you don't build infrastructure that gets destroyed by war that you have to rebuild, all you're usually out is a little income, be it money or pilots.
finebone
Plasma Torpedo Loader
Plasma Torpedo Loader

Previous

Return to Gratuitous Space Battles