How easily you will be able to change Kudos: Rock Legend

Discussion of modding the game, plus links to new mods and additional resources for the game
Eddy
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Eddy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:57 pm

RS_ABILITY_DEGRADE is for the band members.
princessaurora5484
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby princessaurora5484 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:29 am

procyonone wrote:I am currently trying to modify the melodies you play in the musicianship game. I have tried editing the melodies.txt file with both notepad and wordpad but it won't allow me to save the updated file. Error message as follows.

Cannot create the C:\Program Files\Rock Legend\data\practice\melodies.txt file.
Make sure the path and file name are correct.

Anyone know what the problem might be. I am running Windows Vista and do have administrator access.

And should the Rock Legend directory be Read-Only. When i untick the box and apply the change as soon as i go back into the properties menu again its back to Read-Only again. Could this be causing the editing problem and does anyone know how to fix it?

Changing it seems to crash the game on mine. Crashes to the desktop every time I try to practice with the modified file.
theskyisfalling
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby theskyisfalling » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:11 am

procyonone wrote:I am currently trying to modify the melodies you play in the musicianship game. I have tried editing the melodies.txt file with both notepad and wordpad but it won't allow me to save the updated file. Error message as follows.

I am having the exact same problem. (Windows Vista too.)
Rocky
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Rocky » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:32 pm

princessaurora5484 wrote:and does anyone know how to fix it?

Yeah ... go back to XP :roll: :shock:
Eddy
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Eddy » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:39 pm

Just a quick check, are you modding the melodies file with notepad or Word? If you use Word, it could be altering the file.
theskyisfalling
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby theskyisfalling » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:32 am

I've tried modifying in both notepad and word. I get the same thing.
Eddy
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Eddy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:07 pm

Notepad shouldn't give you a problem unless you edited the file with Word first.
theskyisfalling
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby theskyisfalling » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:41 pm

I think I tried notepad first. It shouldn't matter though, since I haven't gotten it to save even once.
Exzar
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby Exzar » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:09 am

Make sure the file itself isn't Read-only.
theskyisfalling
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby theskyisfalling » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:27 am

No. It's not read only.
Kutaplex
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Kutaplex » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:12 pm

I tried to modify Rock Legend/data/simulation files but whatether i change game crashes to windows. Why?
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:16 am

make sure you don't use a text editor that formats the files badly (some of them do). You can open a file, change 1 character and save it, and if that breaks it, the formatting is being changed. I recommend textpad.
procyonone
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby procyonone » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:17 pm

I am currently trying to modify the melodies you play in the musicianship game. I have tried editing the melodies.txt file with both notepad and wordpad but it won't allow me to save the updated file. Error message as follows.

Anyone know what the problem might be. I am running Windows Vista and do have administrator access.

And should the Rock Legend directory be Read-Only. When i untick the box and apply the change as soon as i go back into the properties menu again its back to Read-Only again. Could this be causing the editing problem and does anyone know how to fix it?

I sorted out that problem by making a copy of the file in My Documents. You can then edit it to your hearts content and save it without problem. Then you just copy it back to your Rock Legend directory. I have noticed that modifying the more difficult melodies and shortening them doesn't work. Maybe they're coded into the exe file.
dari
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby dari » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:09 pm

I have noticed that modifying the more difficult melodies and shortening them doesn't work. Maybe they're coded into the exe file.

actually it does work except one set (piano or similar instrument) that seems to be hard coded - i just shortened the practice to 5 notes - now iam able to have practice with 130bpm after a long working day :D
Maybe one needs to start a new game to make this work - dont know about this.
dari
Line Manager
Line Manager

a few questions

Postby dari » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:44 pm

1. is most of the Text (like names of abilities - and that what is shown at the gig screen) moddable ?

2. is the computation for the results of a gig (like motivation - inspiration, stress,..) moddable - i dont mean the upper and lower limits that can be set in the config but the actual formula ie the input variables and the output - thats what i want to mod !

3. what is the default level of stress - cause i seen something that reduces stress but the reduction has a degrade value - so it seems that after a relaxing day at the spa i would slowly "recover" to a higher stress level (unless that default level is zero which i dont know yet)

4. is there a function that makes a band member leave immediately once the stress level reach 100% or another se level ?

5. i guess the names for the auditionees are also taken from the fe/maleforenames.txt ?

6. a) any way to mod how the sales amount of merchandise and CDs is calculated ?
b) if not can you give the formula
c) the sellvalue for the merchandise is that *.99 value near the end of the corresponding line ?

7. is it possible to add something like durability for items such as instruments and the stage effects.
kinda like "flaming guitar of loudness+2 durability 20/20 :)
you know something that doesnt survive 21 gigs , even without someone destructive around.

8. need to know what this is used for (config.txt):
a) SLEEP_DURATION = 15.00
b) PB_MARGINOFERROR = 0.1
c) PB_MAXDIFF = 0.35

9. i guess that the effects of items or other options are fixed values ie. there cannot be formulas in it (like in kudos , unlike in democracy) ?!

Return to “Modding”