Feedback on what to change / improve. ADD YOUR VIEWS

General discussion about Rock Legend, including tech support requests and game feedback
Gigabyte
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby Gigabyte » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:03 pm

My idea of an addition would be some sort of critics. So that critical acclaim, based on song quality, musicianship & performance, would bring hype by itself, while bad reviews would demotivate even a commercially successful band.
JuuL
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Postby JuuL » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:09 pm

cliffski wrote:very strange. what video card do you have? and what version of windows? do you have the latest drivers for the card?
Thanks,

I use Windows XP and a GeForce 4 MX 460 video card. I don't think I've updated the drivers since I bought my computer so that's probably the problem. Unfortunately I don't know much about computers... what is the easiest ways to upgrade my drivers?
procyonone
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby procyonone » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:29 pm

I use Windows XP and a GeForce 4 MX 460 video card. I don't think I've updated the drivers since I bought my computer so that's probably the problem. Unfortunately I don't know much about computers... what is the easiest ways to upgrade my drivers?

Go to the following web address to download the current most up to date driver for your graphics card. Hope this helps.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp_2k_94.24_uk.html
NoseBagUK
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby NoseBagUK » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:52 pm

draggar wrote:
procyonone wrote:I have come up with an idea for another version of the mini game for players like myself who find the mini game harder later on. How about less notes to copy but with a timer for you to input the correct sequence. The better your musicianship the shorter the timer.

Edit the notes that come up.

(game directory)/data/practice/melodies.txt (I think it is .txt) :D

Hi,

I edited the meldies.txt file to make all the melodies short, as I was having problems but it still has lots of complicated ones, does it only effect new games?

Thanks
Eddy
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Eddy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:54 am

I think the keyboard is actually hard coded in the game while the other instruments are not.
JuuL
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Postby JuuL » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:56 pm

procyonone wrote:

Go to the following web address to download the current most up to date driver for your graphics card. Hope this helps.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp_2k_94.24_uk.html

Well, that didn't work. The program I downloaded couldn't find any drivers that were compatible with my hardware. Whatever that means. Well, never mind. I'll be bying a new computer in a few months anyway and it's not like I can't play the game.
Thanks for your help.
Thanakil
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby Thanakil » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:42 pm

Something a little weird :

I started making lots of money at one point in the game, so I thought of buying the best instrument for the 3 members of the group (from original to best), but they kept complaining they were using weak instruments, after buying every quality of each instrument the next day, they stopped complaining.

Same thing with the Van + Limo, using Limo without van = They will moan about needing a van, or using the luxury rider, but not the cheap rider, they'll say that they are dying of hunger.

I'm only wondering if we could only have one quality of something (like the best guitar) and still have the effect, so we don't have to buy every guitar.

But anyway, awesome game!
dildur
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby dildur » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:01 pm

I think I'm annoyed by a rare bug, as I'm playing from my laptop...

I cannot see images of the characters, of my singer, and even of the thing (gold medal?) I should get when I do a "classic" song.

I must admit it's killing a good part of my fun, as I'm getting black squares in auditions, at the bottom left :/
As I didn't see anyone else getting that bug, I suppose it must be rare.

If you have time to check this, nevertheless, and you want some screenshots, PM me what you want and I will send that to you :)

Anyway, a nice game, with an excellent music and a good gameplay, even without pictures. :wink:
Jonfun
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Jonfun » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:02 pm

Being able to release singles.

Charts etc.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:34 am

missing / black textures may well be caused by a video card with relatively low memory, do you know how much memory your laptop video card has?
Jacky13
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby Jacky13 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:42 pm

Hi Cliff!
Fantastic game:)
Just asking when will the patch come:)
It would be awesome when you could add some more things to buy as effects or something! And it would be cool if you could set the playlist for the gig so you don't have to play bad songs or something:)
Waiting for patch!
Thx!
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:02 pm

What I'm currently working on is some playbalancing code to smooth out the game for those who find it a bit tricky. This will also involve a system of events that might trigger, so for instance, the manager of a local music shop might award you a free guitar if you have a talented guitarist, as a way of promoting his store.
I also plan to make the GUI a bit clearer and tidier.
Jacky13
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby Jacky13 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:41 pm

Great:)
But i would like to know when it would be ready, because i'm really looking forward for updates :wink:
There was an idea about website and i think it is cool idea! It would be awesome when you could make your website.. like you choose what color it is, what there will be! And later you could hire an programming expert or a journalist who makes stories after every gig or song or album:)
I now it is hard to make but it would awesome:)
thomrocktyourface
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby thomrocktyourface » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:13 am

Suggestions:

1. A DIY (do it yourself) approach to music; recording albums with home equipment (and possibly building up a recording skill), manning your own merch table, and possibly getting punk rock credibility for doing so.

2. Appeal to different types of fans. Perhaps a list of locations and fan types for each location as well as a location's affluence and interest in music.

3. Music industry and economy that varies either randomly or with different events for various locations.

4. The incorporation of radio, especially payola (the act of a record company setting up a subsidiary company which pays radio stations to play a certain song).

5. Ability to hire an agent to haggle with venues, possibly dropping the hire costs or negotiating a guarantee that might be a bit higher than the higher cost but to be paid after the show as opposed to a week beforehand. Including a feature such as SoundScan, an industry standard used to measure the amount of records sold by a band, as well as keeping record of ticket sales in the past would give an agent more leverage when negotiating with venues.

6. Ability to hire a music attorney to negotiate with record labels, potentially getting the band more royalties from each record sale or the ability to negotiate a contract. Basically, more in-depth record contracts. Who gets the rights to the mechanical recordings? Who gets the rights to the performance of the songs?

7. Ability to purchase and run your own studio to make money off mechanical royalties on other bands' records and, of course, the ability to record your own records.

8. Ability to sell rights to songs you've written in return for performance royalties. This includes selling the rights to other bands, or even for commercials (in which case the band would receive mechanical royalties as well, assuming that the original recording of the song was used).

9. Option to sell songs online. This should give the band more money per song than a major record deal would, but the band would have to worry about generating their own hype; either that or the quality of music OR appeal to a large enough fanbase of a certain type could create a word-of-mouth campaign, boosting the band's popularity. The option to release songs for free with a donation option would be nice, too. The online option would be especially nice for DIY-ers as they could avoid a major record deal altogether.

10. Labels with different personalities. Will the label try to push the band as the next pop sensation by spending millions on marketing and payola if they believe in the band, but neglecting them if they don't? Or will the label push all bands equally regardless of current fame? This would also impact the ability of a music attorney to negotiate with labels. If a label stereotypically will not budge on a certain issue, it'll take an amazing skilled attorney to negotiate. Also, is the label going to want you to play with that emo band just because they're on the label too?

11. Staff members of different skill levels: not all mixing board dudes are created equal.

12. Managers should not be paid a flat rate, but instead paid a percentage of a band's gross income.

13. An ASCAP equivalent; a company which pays an artist based on fees collected from radio stations, bars, restaurants, etc. These fees are blanket memberships, however, and the fees are divided among the company's represented bands based on an estimate of plays during a period of time. This is where it would be almost essential to have a more fleshed-out game world in which other bands exist and are in direct competition with yours; the more famous bands would receive more ASCAP fee royalties than the less famous bands.

14. The ability for a band to create a distinctive sound; as it is, it seems like, during songwriting, each song is a strange amalgamation of classical, sci-fi, funk, blues and tribal drumming. It makes it hard to believe that anybody would actually want to listen to my band in reality. Maybe an overhaul of the songwriting system is in order?

15. Perhaps a scale of attributes for each band member instead of simple labels such as "egotistical" or "destructive" to help distinguish them from each other. Dealing with a 65% egotistical member would be much different from dealing with an 88% egotistical member.

16. The ability to hire a street team to fly poster and hand out flyers instead of making your poor band members do it.

17. The ability to build relationships with other bands via interviews, etc. so that one might be able to tour with a more popular band or let a less popular band tour with them. An overhauled gig system could see a band's agent trying to find a fitting opening act for the band in each location the band is visiting. Imagine trying to find a classical/IDM band in Montana for the big tour! Also, labelmates would generally have a better disposition with you and may be more willing to tour with you.

Phew.
That was a lot.
Take it from a music industry studies student, though. ;)

(edit: take these as you like. I know how hard coding is. I can barely get C++ to spit out a random variable to a text file for me without crashing five times over.)
Eddy
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Eddy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:08 am

Some really good ideas there.

Return to “Rock Legend (General)”