Smiley's Mods (Democracy 1)

Discuss how to make your own events, policies and dilemmas, even whole new missions for the games
Smiley
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby Smiley » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:02 pm

This is my fourth term;

noachian
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby noachian » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:14 pm

Your United Kingdom sounds alot like mine :D I also have tight boarders, no foreign aid, and quite police inforced. I basically have everything inforced to reduce crime :lol: which makes it quite authoritarian.

I mainly piss liberals off :lol: Liberals and motorists; motorists because of my outragious car and petrol tax, aswell as massive investment into public transport at the cost of the roads budget. Hardly anyone uses a car lol :lol:

I got rid of the environmental crisis quite quickly, by just simply taking as much money out of motorcars and putting it into pollution controls as possible. However this can be really expensive and I'm now in huge debt :? :lol:

Looks alot like mine, except your much richer lol :lol: Your doing much better than me
Smiley
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby Smiley » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:43 pm

I renamed it to 'Great Britain' 8)
noachian
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: Smiley's Mods (Democracy 1)

Postby noachian » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:01 pm

Why's that then? Have you de-evolved Scotland or became a Republic? :lol:
Smiley
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby Smiley » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:01 am

Nope. "United Kingdom" just sounds too politically correct and girly. It also encourages devolution because it suggests Britain is made up of different countries.

I still hold the view that Britain is one nation.

Great Britain takes me back to the days of Britain as a superpower. I've expanded the military and intelligence services, re-established national service.

I love playing on games like Civilization III & Imperial Glory, as Great Britain colonizing the world.

I have strong Royalist roots (well, bound to coming from the County of York!)
noachian
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby noachian » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:15 am

Yes, I see your point. I never really looked at it that way. Great Britain is refering to one nation, United Kingdom is refering to a Federal unity of two different Kingdoms. I guess it does incourage Scottish and English Seperatism.

I love the times of British Imperialism, not that I see Imperialism as justified today but back then I think it was good for the development of other nations. Like South Africa for example, a once little tribal nation now one of the worlds most powerful countries. All because of us :P

I've also expanded the military and intelligence services and re-established national service. :)

I have Civilizations IV but not keen on the layout of the game. How you move and stuff :cry: I took over the entire world on Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots as Great Britan lol 8)

My whole family are Monarchists, which living in Cumbria is rare, since we hate anything outside of Cumbria :roll:
Smiley
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby Smiley » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:14 am

Ha ha ha yes, we're very similar then!

I don't like Civ IV, Civ III is much better I reckon.

I love Imperial Glory, too. When you have 6 battalions of Grenadier Guards standing in double line formation.

"Aim.. aim lads, mark your targets... FIRE !!", "Hold your ranks!".

I'm currently in a huge war with France on the game.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:21 am

I loved the RTS bits of Imperial Glory. It was a great game, but there was only a very small number of units. Didn't the battle of waterloo involve around 200,000 men? It would be awesome to see that kind of thing with that engine. They really got the cannons feeling just right. And the smoke from muskets was great too.
noachian
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby noachian » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:11 am

Haha, sounds good.

You made any more mods Smiley? :D
Smiley
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby Smiley » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:10 am

I edited the Imperial Glory files, Cliffski to include much, much more troops. :D

Imperial Glory is fairly easy to mod once you translate all the files from Spanish into English.

No, Noachin, haven't had time. I run a chat site so 90% of my time goes towards modding my phpBB boards :lol:

I'll make more mods next week for this. It doesn't have a Space Agency policy.
noachian
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby noachian » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:57 pm

Ok :)

I thought about a space agancy policy, I think its a good idea :)

but I can't make mods lol :oops:
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:21 am

How many units does the Imperial Glory engine support when modded? Although I lost my disk, so I'd have to find that first :D
TomPhil
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby TomPhil » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:53 pm

I have to intervene in the discussion of the UK and GB. You misunderstand the meaning of "United Kingdom".

Great Britain refers to England, Wales and Scotland, while the United Kingdom refers to England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. The full name of the United Kingdom is the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". This has nothing to do with political correctness or anything else. They are different things with different meanings. "Great Britain" refers only to England, Wales and Scotland, and the United Kingdom to England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. If you rename your country to "Great Britain", what you are effectively doing is disowning Northern Ireland. This seems to me to be doing a lot more to encourage separatism and the break-up of the Union than using the term United Kingdom.

It's nothing to do with England and Scotland: both come under the description of "Great Britain", and thus under the description of Great Britain in the phrase "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". The "United Kingdom" comes from the Act of Union 1800, when the Kingdom of Ireland merged with the Kingdom of Great Britain. What was "United" was Great Britain and Ireland, not England and Scotland. In the present day, therefore, what is "United" are "Great Britain" on the one hand and "Northern Ireland" (traditionally of course "Ireland") on the other. You therefore misunderstand the situation when you say that this encourages the concept that Scotland and England are separate countries. The United Kingdom title has nothing to do with Union between England and Scotland - it is used to describe Union between Great Britain and Ireland.
TomPhil
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby TomPhil » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:06 pm

P.S. By the way, if you want to play as Great Britain, you're using the wrong flag.

You should be using this one:

Click here for the flag files
Stickystopa
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby Stickystopa » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:50 pm

hey smiley!

how did you get four fists(turns) on yourimage there?

Return to “Modding (democracy 1)”