New car design system (in progress)

MaN1aC
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: New car design system (in progress)

Postby MaN1aC » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:36 pm

In the meaning of simplifying the game mechanics MeduSalem is right. But in real life there is a difference because of the possible profit margin (and the need to maximize profit). E.g. a climate control needs to be priced cheaper when fitted into a compact car then when fitted into a sports car. So because the premium/discount is based onto the same value (as MeduSalem mentioned) and higher possible price for more luxurious car it makes sense to use different premium/discount per feature and body type.

So atm I'm undecided which would be better for most of the players. And I have no idea how much efforts have to be done to implement global premium/discount per feature but it could be part of the difficulty or simulation level (simplyfied for lower level and as atm for a higher level) ...
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:38 pm

Interesting question. I do suspect that the price of similar features on different price model cars are very different. For example I bet people who buy a $100,000 sports car have to pay more for a spoiler than someone buying a $15,000 one, and likely for no reason. Obviously no two features are exactly the same, and the game doesn't go into such minute detail.
Hmmm... Good question.
MeduSalem
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby MeduSalem » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Yeah, I agree that in reality companies charge different prices for the same features on different models... because they are either more capable or just for the sake of branding.

But for the sake of simplicity I thought about... what if the base price of features is set globally... So the feature list only appears once.

And for each car model there is a slider that determines the base car price (the bare model so to speak) and a second slider that determines the margin of the features added to the car.

Like for example if the combined value of the features is 2000$ and you set the second slider to 20% then 2400$ will get added to the base car price.

But on a second thought this might also end up being confusing... so might as well leave it at the proposal of MaN1aC because it seems to be the most flexible one.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:18 pm

Well the reason that individual components need adjusting is that you may decide to research ahead or behind the curve in terms of adoption. For example right now Tesla can charge an extra $3,000 per car for autopilot because nobody else has it, but they cant charge more than the going rate for leather seats, because they are a generally available tech.
MeduSalem
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby MeduSalem » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:26 pm

Makes sernse...
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:09 pm

Implemented a similar thing:
screenshot_20-03-2017_20-07-07.png
screenshot_20-03-2017_20-07-07.png (308.88 KiB) Viewed 433 times
MeduSalem
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby MeduSalem » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:12 pm

Looks good so far... the horizontal scrollbar might become a little fiddly if there are too many models around at some point... especially if people start adding additional models through modding eventually.

So might consider doing it as a vertical list at some point.
MaN1aC
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby MaN1aC » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:24 am

The thumbnails on top with a horizontal scrollbar was my first idea but when beginning with a mockup I found some disadvantages of such thumbnails:
  • the color of the displayed car may change every time you open the Car Designs window so players may be confused
  • regarding the size it will be hard to identify the body type, especially on high dpi screens, e.g. Compact Car and Mirco-SUV // Sports Car and Coupé will look very similar
  • it does not show clearly the '1 car design per body type' concept
  • the horizontal scrollbar might become a little fiddly (as also mentioned by MeduSalem)
The advantages are that pictures are more sexy then simple words and you can see a preview of the design.

So my next idea was to use icons instead of thumbnails. This would improve the first disadvantage of the thumbnails but all others would still exist. Additional it would be hard for an artist to create a bunch of icons that clearly shows the differences between each of the body type so most of the people would recognize the correct meaning. But there is also an advantage: Coloring the icons would allow to mention if the related body type is unlocked or not.

So the third idea was to use just the names of the body types. At the moment there is only a sedan but you already started a poll for the next (Compact Car, Sports Car or SUV) but maybe others will follow ... So to fill the mockup I added 'BodyType X' and 'Bodytype Y' with the purpose to show that there could be more body types as shown atm. Instead of using a scrollbar I prefer colored [<] and [>] buttons. If no scrolling is possible to one direction the button should be grey and if scrolling is possible it could be green (or blue to respect the people who can't see green)

Of course: This design has its own weaknesses: letters are less sexy than pictures and without a scrollbar you can't see how many designs will be shown as unless you scroll through. But the advantages are a clear meaning (which could be translated) and the possibility to use colors for funktionality (like the icons, e.g. body types that need to be unlocked by a research project can be greyish and inactive while the unlocked body types are colored as regular tabs in the game) and a clear pointing out of the '1 car design per body type' concept.

So I did the mockup as it was and even one night later I'm still happy with it.

And some additional suggestions while talking about this window:
Please let us finetune the premium/discount by using [-5%] [-1%] [+1%] and [+5%] buttons. They don't need to be translated and provide more control to people who like to maximize even the last $ margin.
Please add a lock/unlock per feature so the player can prevent that the premium/discount will be changed when the overall premium/discount will be changed.
When thinking about brand and image (as part of the marketing) it would be a nice feature to set a font and material to create a 'unique' design name logo. E.g. modern font in combination with stick could provide a logo like the name logo of the first Twingo for a bit more immersion and maybe a benefit to sales for a proper combination.

So without the last point (but with a placeholder) the second version of my mockup:
Suggestion_CarDesigns_v2.png
Suggestion_CarDesigns_v2.png (149.15 KiB) Viewed 420 times

[Edit: corrected some text mistakes]
Last edited by MaN1aC on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lemlin
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Postby Lemlin » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:46 am

I prefer MaN1aC:s suggestion, labels looks much better than pictures. Much cleaner UI.
If the idea is to have multiple designs of the same car type then you could add a dropdown list where the name is.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:35 am

Hmmm interesting discussion. I shall put this to a twitter vote...

Return to “Alpha discussion”