Research tree modding, and some other modding questions

Want to change the way the big pharma universe works? Have your own cool ideas for mods?... discuss them here!
Perryvvelzen
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Re: Research tree modding, and some other modding questions

Postby Perryvvelzen » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:32 am

TwiceCircled wrote:Yes you are right, you cannot change the in-game menus. I could possibly expose this if there is high demand. It would have to have some strict limits on numbers to stop it messing up the entire GUI.

I think you shouldn't really impose limits at all, after all mods are meant to break the game and make it do things the developer did not think of. By imposing limits on what can be done and can't be done it reduces the moddability of the game. The more free modders are, the more whack things you will see done (just look at Skyrim)
enzymus
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby enzymus » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:27 am

Perryvvelzen wrote:
TwiceCircled wrote:Yes you are right, you cannot change the in-game menus. I could possibly expose this if there is high demand. It would have to have some strict limits on numbers to stop it messing up the entire GUI.

I think you shouldn't really impose limits at all, after all mods are meant to break the game and make it do things the developer did not think of. By imposing limits on what can be done and can't be done it reduces the moddability of the game. The more free modders are, the more whack things you will see done (just look at Skyrim)

Generally agreed. Ideally what the game would have would be an API that a simple scripting language (LUA is typically populate, but there are others), could then be used to modify the game.

As it stands the game has extremely limited modibility, we can only set values in JSON files, we can't create any new logic.
sleeper_service
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby sleeper_service » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:59 am

TwiceCircled wrote:I would say the main moddable elements are:
- Cures
- Machine process costs, times and concentration changes
- Scenarios
- AI
- Research
Interesting. What about ingredients? Are they fixed? What if one would mod more cure trees then there are ingredients? Does the game just create additional ingredients with the new effects, using old art? To which extend are effects and ingredients randomized?
TwiceCircled
Big Pharma Developer
Big Pharma Developer

Postby TwiceCircled » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:09 pm

Btw I've added a new moddable file called gui.data in one of the updates. You can now added additional machines to the menus. Of course you still can't update the graphics but you could have, say, an Agglomerator 2.0 which changes the concentration by 5 instead of 3.

Here's what it looks like:

Code: Select all

{
   "basic":["dissolver","evaporator","ioniser","agglomerator","autoclave","cooler"],
   "advanced":["chromatograph","uv_curer","sequencer","hadron"],
   "auxiliary":["fixed_belt","incinerator","multimixer","shaker","packer","centrifuge"],
   "makers":["pill_maker","cream_maker","sachet_maker","syringe_maker"]
}

All you need to do is add a new machine to equipment.data and then include that name in one of these lists. Of course to be able to research it you'll need to add a new project to research.data etc.

Return to “Pharma Modding”