[SUPPORT][WIN] Game crashes before startup

Problems with side effects? problems with the game? ask your tech support questions and submit bug reports here!
TwiceCircled
Big Pharma Developer
Big Pharma Developer

Re: [SUPPORT][WIN] Game crashes before startup

Postby TwiceCircled » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:49 am

Oh OK, well that has thrown me again. For me to get to the bottom of this I'm going to need a very detailed description of exactly what causes what. Here's my understanding so far, please correct me where wrong and answer my additional questions.

You start a new level, play the game with no problems. You go to the menu, click save, and confirm the save dialog.

From here the game performance goes down hill? Low framerates, jittery animation, stuff starts to be unresponsive, that sort of thing? Does this happen immediately after the save or degrade gradually? Can you confirm that saving causes poor performance but does not cause a crash? Does this happen every time you save?

Then when you try to load a game at any time, the game crashes to desktop? Does this happen immediately? Does this happen every time? What about if you load from the menu? If not, please explain exactly what does happen.

Thank you very much, I think we are getting somewhere now.
TwiceCircled
Big Pharma Developer
Big Pharma Developer

Postby TwiceCircled » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:09 am

OK I've got an idea. I've made a few leaps in my logic, but based on what you've described, it could be an issue with creating the thumbnails (little preview pictures that appear when you select a save game from the list) for the save games.

Basically, looking at my code, I've seen a possible issue where if there is an error while saving the thumbnail to the disc, then it will keep on trying to generate that thumbnail every frame. This would be OK if it was a temporary problem, but if it continues to fail then it will be doing lots of extra work which could result in a performance drop.

Now, I can add a little code at my end that will stop this performance drop but it won't fix the underlying issue of your thumbnails not saving.

I need you to do two things:

1. First go to the save game folder here: C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Big Pharma\Saves . Are there any thumbnails for your save games? Or in other words: For every save file e.g. "Beginner - Bottom Line 1.sav" there should also be an image file e.g. "Beginner - Bottom Line 1.PNG".

If there are .pngs for each save, then that means my diagnosis is incorrect. This is not the issue. If there are no .pngs, then it looks like my diagnosis is correct. Wahoo, that means we can probably fix it. Please let me know which one.

2. Please send my your latest output.log file after saving a game. Hopefully it will contain some errors which I can try to use to pin-point this issue. It's probably to do with the game having insufficient access rights to save in this folder. You have been running the game in administrator mode right?
RobDewar
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby RobDewar » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:53 pm

For some reason I can't attach the output files here but the one I found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Big Pharma\Big Pharma_Data\output_log.txt I've pasted at the bottom. I am getting the PNG files though and I've attached one of them here.

I checked and it wasn't ticked for running as administrator so I've ticked that and will try it again and see if it fixes things.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Big Pharma\Big Pharma_Data\output_log.txt:

Initialize engine version: 4.7.1f1 (68064779abd0)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
Version: Direct3D 9.0c [igdumd32.dll 9.17.10.4229]
Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
Vendor: Intel
VRAM: 944 MB (via DXGI)
Caps: Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=1 INTZ=1 RAWZ=0 NULL=1 RESZ=1 SlowINTZ=0
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Big Pharma\Big Pharma_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Big Pharma\Big Pharma_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Big Pharma\Big Pharma_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Big Pharma\Big Pharma_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Big Pharma\Big Pharma_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Big Pharma\Big Pharma_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Big Pharma\Big Pharma_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Big Pharma\Big Pharma_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
- Completed reload, in 0.790 seconds
<RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

desktop: 1920x1080 29Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Big Pharma\Big Pharma_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Big Pharma\Big Pharma_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
The referenced script on this Behaviour is missing!

(Filename: Line: 1773)

Cannot find config.ini, creating...

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

[SingletonPrefab] Using instance already created: Backbone

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Unloading 3 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 1 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 14619.
Total: 22.054018 ms (FindLiveObjects: 2.133045 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.914284 ms MarkObjects: 18.285267 ms DeleteObjects: 0.060724 ms)

Start loading save game

Number of gameobjects = 11657

Start loading save game

Number of gameobjects = 11860

Unloading 2 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 1 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 42994.
Total: 127.973351 ms (FindLiveObjects: 7.079078 ms CreateObjectMapping: 2.922461 ms MarkObjects: 116.121857 ms DeleteObjects: 0.195429 ms)

Start loading save game

Number of gameobjects = 12586

Unloading 0 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 101429.
Total: 448.430573 ms (FindLiveObjects: 17.965824 ms CreateObjectMapping: 2.669728 ms MarkObjects: 425.774017 ms DeleteObjects: 0.366911 ms)

Start loading save game

Number of gameobjects = 12286

Unloading 0 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 45188.
Total: 164.832535 ms (FindLiveObjects: 7.171447 ms CreateObjectMapping: 1.706693 ms MarkObjects: 154.426453 ms DeleteObjects: 0.213817 ms)

Start loading save game

Number of gameobjects = 13017

Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 101973.
Total: 400.203979 ms (FindLiveObjects: 16.834299 ms CreateObjectMapping: 2.517490 ms MarkObjects: 378.596832 ms DeleteObjects: 0.514873 ms)

Start loading save game

Number of gameobjects = 12430

Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 45628.
Total: 184.968185 ms (FindLiveObjects: 10.462958 ms CreateObjectMapping: 1.968406 ms MarkObjects: 171.479263 ms DeleteObjects: 0.203126 ms)

Game saved to position: Autosave

Start loading save game

Number of gameobjects = 13224

Unloading 2 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 102340.
Total: 335.457825 ms (FindLiveObjects: 14.202203 ms CreateObjectMapping: 2.269889 ms MarkObjects: 317.135376 ms DeleteObjects: 0.975436 ms)

Start loading save game

Number of gameobjects = 13359

Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 54277.
Total: 153.548096 ms (FindLiveObjects: 9.830485 ms CreateObjectMapping: 1.731496 ms MarkObjects: 140.907181 ms DeleteObjects: 0.219804 ms)

Start loading save game

Number of gameobjects = 13935

Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 103333.
Total: 260.173889 ms (FindLiveObjects: 13.835291 ms CreateObjectMapping: 1.417611 ms MarkObjects: 243.711624 ms DeleteObjects: 0.356648 ms)

Start loading save game

Number of gameobjects = 13874

Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 60298.
Total: 172.201553 ms (FindLiveObjects: 7.392535 ms CreateObjectMapping: 1.131951 ms MarkObjects: 162.699493 ms DeleteObjects: 0.217238 ms)

Start loading save game

Number of gameobjects = 14791

Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 103862.
Total: 234.119751 ms (FindLiveObjects: 14.217170 ms CreateObjectMapping: 1.757581 ms MarkObjects: 216.911697 ms DeleteObjects: 0.369904 ms)

Start loading save game

Number of gameobjects = 13879

Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 60636.
Total: 337.103790 ms (FindLiveObjects: 13.346076 ms CreateObjectMapping: 2.586767 ms MarkObjects: 318.958374 ms DeleteObjects: 0.470826 ms)

Start loading save game

Number of gameobjects = 14538

Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 104781.
Total: 493.496948 ms (FindLiveObjects: 14.915499 ms CreateObjectMapping: 2.587622 ms MarkObjects: 474.000183 ms DeleteObjects: 0.401977 ms)

Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 30020.
Total: 361.743713 ms (FindLiveObjects: 7.080788 ms CreateObjectMapping: 2.960093 ms MarkObjects: 349.713928 ms DeleteObjects: 0.280956 ms)

Start loading save game

C:/Program Files (x86)/Big Pharma/Big Pharma_Data/GameData/Buildings/bigroom.data loaded!

C:/Program Files (x86)/Big Pharma/Big Pharma_Data/GameData/Buildings/bwing.data loaded!

C:/Program Files (x86)/Big Pharma/Big Pharma_Data/GameData/Buildings/cells.data loaded!

C:/Program Files (x86)/Big Pharma/Big Pharma_Data/GameData/Buildings/fizz.data loaded!

C:/Program Files (x86)/Big Pharma/Big Pharma_Data/GameData/Buildings/glass.data loaded!

C:/Program Files (x86)/Big Pharma/Big Pharma_Data/GameData/Buildings/hall.data loaded!

C:/Program Files (x86)/Big Pharma/Big Pharma_Data/GameData/Buildings/hedge.data loaded!

C:/Program Files (x86)/Big Pharma/Big Pharma_Data/GameData/Buildings/house.data loaded!

C:/Program Files (x86)/Big Pharma/Big Pharma_Data/GameData/Buildings/hub.data loaded!

C:/Program Files (x86)/Big Pharma/Big Pharma_Data/GameData/Buildings/hut.data loaded!

C:/Program Files (x86)/Big Pharma/Big Pharma_Data/GameData/Buildings/log.data loaded!

C:/Program Files (x86)/Big Pharma/Big Pharma_Data/GameData/Buildings/sandwich.data loaded!

C:/Program Files (x86)/Big Pharma/Big Pharma_Data/GameData/Buildings/sbend.data loaded!

C:/Program Files (x86)/Big Pharma/Big Pharma_Data/GameData/Buildings/school.data loaded!

C:/Program Files (x86)/Big Pharma/Big Pharma_Data/GameData/Buildings/small.data loaded!

Number of gameobjects = 2805

A drug should have moved on but was unable at TBelt at 5,25

Warning: new drug entered belt before old output drug was moved on

Start loading save game

Number of gameobjects = 17060

Unloading 20 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 109884.
Total: 448.255249 ms (FindLiveObjects: 15.904620 ms CreateObjectMapping: 1.920083 ms MarkObjects: 425.579468 ms DeleteObjects:
Attachments
Beginner - A game of margins 1.png
Beginner - A game of margins 1.png (152.8 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
TwiceCircled
Big Pharma Developer
Big Pharma Developer

Postby TwiceCircled » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:12 am

OK, dam. Guess it's not the thumbnail thing. It was a bit of a long shot. ;)

Well looking at the log everything seems to be working just fine. Are you still having the performance issues/crashes?

If so, how often? You seemed to be able to load the game many times and continue playing without problems? :)
RobDewar
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby RobDewar » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:28 pm

Yep actually everything seems to be working well now. I even saved without it slowing down. Could be because I've set it to run as administrator as default now so maybe you were right about it getting stuck trying to write somewhere it didn't have permissions.

Thanks for all the help
TwiceCircled
Big Pharma Developer
Big Pharma Developer

Postby TwiceCircled » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:26 am

Wahoo! You're very welcome, sorry it took a bit of time to get there. Slow and steady! ;)

Return to “Pharma Support”