Does Obama stand a chance?

Discuss the game here, strategy, opinions on policies, and tech support issues.
Glinka
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Glinka » Fri May 04, 2007 12:45 pm

Just read an op piece here that does some interesting and positive analysis of the three leading Democratic presidential contenders. Well worth reading, for what it says about each.
Glinka
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Glinka » Fri May 18, 2007 9:15 pm

And here's a fascinating, very well-researched article on Clinton's PR team. It's a very well-oiled team. The problem is, many Independent and Democratic voters perceive Clinton as more spin than message.

This no doubt has interntional resonance, what with a departing prime minister who has led Labour to victory through three successive elections. Yet there are plenty of differences, too; and at this point, Clinton hasn't opened up the heavy lead that her well-heeled staff has predicted. Interesting times lie ahead.
keltic07
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby keltic07 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:25 pm

How about Ron Paul? He may not be that well known but his fanbase is passionate enough to land him in the hearts of the American people. Mabye at least a vice president? :idea:
Glinka
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Glinka » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:26 pm

keltic07 wrote:How about Ron Paul? He may not be that well known but his fanbase is passionate enough to land him in the hearts of the American people. Mabye at least a vice president? :idea:

It can be said of every presidential candidate for the two main parties that they have a passionate fanbase, so this is a wash. As for "landing him the hearts of the American people," I don't understand what it means. Just because some people are passionate over A's candidacy, doesn't mean another 75 million who could care less are going to get all emotional for unspecified reasons over that same candidate. With respect, it doesn't work that way.

And since Paul's views are far outside the mainstream of his home state, Texas (where he represents a small district in the national Congress, instead of the entire state), it is unlikely he would be added to a presidential slate in the hopes of bringing those voters into the Republican column. But who knows how this will go? The Republicans are trying to appeal to their far right base, instead of going after the mainstream center, and this has led to some remarkable stands being taken and candidates floated. Anything is possible, including the enbalming of Reagan's corpse and attempts to get him re-elected.

Strange times, these.
keltic07
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby keltic07 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:32 am

jeez don´t be so harsh :!: Just saying if you watched Ron Paul speak he seems to be a honest and clean kind of guy which is something the other candidates kind of lack. Because of that his fan base seem to be more in the majority of being fanatic then "well he´s not a great man for the job but better than the rest". And think he gets little publicity in most medium networks but still manages to be known thanks to things like YouTube and MySpace.

It´s still a long way in the politcal timeframe until the primaries and even a lot longer until the elections. Anything can happen...
Glinka
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Glinka » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:48 am

keltic07 wrote:jeez don´t be so harsh :!: Just saying if you watched Ron Paul speak he seems to be a honest and clean kind of guy which is something the other candidates kind of lack.

I didn't realize until I read your second sentence that you clearly favor him--which is probably why you find my very neutral comments harsh. ;) Perhaps you can point out to me which of my remarks were harsh, above?

Because of that his fan base seem to be more in the majority of being fanatic then "well he´s not a great man for the job but better than the rest". And think he gets little publicity in most medium networks but still manages to be known thanks to things like YouTube and MySpace.

Again, I can only suggest that you check out the fanbase of other candidates, whose supporters run the gamut from "she/he's fantastic" to "she/he's not perfect, but the best we can find." But then, you may find my saying so as proof that I positively loathe Paul. Which is hardly the case. :D
keltic07
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby keltic07 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:43 am

I just said it was harsh because it just seemed like you just spitted out facts with no reaction to my clearly optimistic way of writing :lol: Sure Ron Paul fanatics may not "win the hearts of the american people" or 75% of the population as you put it, but what I'm saying is that the fans out there are getting the message out of the guy. This is unique of his campain because his only getting this type of advertisment, (not from the major news networks).
Glinka
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Glinka » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:25 am

keltic07 wrote:I just said it was harsh because it just seemed like you just spitted out facts with no reaction to my clearly optimistic way of writing :lol: Sure Ron Paul fanatics may not "win the hearts of the american people" or 75% of the population as you put it, but what I'm saying is that the fans out there are getting the message out of the guy. This is unique of his campain because his only getting this type of advertisment, (not from the major news networks).

But it isn't unique, surely. If you ignore the top 3 contenders on the Democratic and Republican side, there are at least another 5 Democrats and 8 Republicans, all of whom are pretty well ignored by the media. When's the last time you saw a lot of time spent by the mainsream media on Tancredo, or Dodd? Meaning no offense, but Paul falls well within this group.
keltic07
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby keltic07 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:27 am

Eh, (rasies shoulders) I`m only 15 anyway, can`t know everything about the world.
keltic07
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby keltic07 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:28 am

By the way, putting away reality and plausibility just for a second, who do you guys want to win?
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:22 am

so after yesterdays speeches, has anything changed regarding Obamas chances?
keltic07
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby keltic07 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:38 am

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:23 pm

Interesting. It always amazes me how low African-American turnout is.
Glinka
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Glinka » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:16 am

cliffski wrote:so after yesterdays speeches, has anything changed regarding Obamas chances?

I don't think so, in large part because Obama is far better as a speaker than he is at debating. And because the questions didn't permit followups, which would have allowed those who provided the questions to zero in on major weaknesses--such as Clinton's statement that she would keep a major US military presence (50,000 soldiers) in bases after supposedly leaving Iraq.

Right now, Obama still runs a close second to Clinton, and Edwards is a fair third behind them both. No changes, there, but also no improvements from the Republican side of the equation against them. ...And there's always the possibility that Gore will enter the race. It's really too early to tell how any of this will turn out, self-absorbed Beltway pundits to the contrary.
Mooney
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Re: Does Obama stand a chance?

Postby Mooney » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:03 pm

Ahh... the difference a year makes. :)

Return to “Democracy 1”