Upgrading GSB1's Hull Editor for GSB2 use

Welcome to the galaxy of modding. Ask your questions, post your mods, explore the universe of galactic modding...
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Re: Suggestion - Create, remove, and move module/turret slot

Postby cliffski » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi, where is your new ship file? Is it inside the main games folders or the /my documents/my games stuff?

(0_o)
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby (0_o) » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:58 am

All of the hardpoints and firing arcs can be changed in the text files if you don't mind doing some math.
Gratuitous Space Battles 2\data\hulls

Here are some pictures of one ship I edited.

Capture 123.PNG
Original Hardpoints
Capture 123.PNG (422.31 KiB) Viewed 3930 times

Capture 789.PNG
Two Additional Standard Hardpoints
Capture 789.PNG (416.33 KiB) Viewed 3930 times

Capture 1011.PNG
Two Additional Turret Hardpoints
Capture 1011.PNG (420.35 KiB) Viewed 3930 times

Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:27 am

(0_o) wrote:All of the hardpoints and firing arcs can be changed in the text files if you don't mind doing some math.

Hello, (0_o), you of the amazed emoticon! Thank you for sharing those images with us.

And BTW you're correct about that math, too. However...

The much-asked-for Hull Editor's entire point is to almost completely avoid that particular math. The editor is a gigantic time-saver.

I don't mind hand-coding slot locations, but only as a "final pass" to get them as close to pixel-perfect as I can. The thought of spending scarce leisure hours (hours which, at this stage in my life, I generally don't have) on such basic, time-intensive drudgery as the complete slot-positioning and firing-arc-angling process? You're certainly welcome to it, but - with respect - I think few will be willingly doing that.

It doesn't end there, either -- the Hull Editor also helps very much with the placement of running lights and engine glows. Minus that editor, those jobs were no metaphoric basket of roses. And it was five times worse when it came to mentally visualizing the locations of damage emitters, sparks & smoke locations, and the sub-sections of destroyed-hull hulks. :(

I still clearly recall the bad old days of 2009 when any & all new modder-made hulls for GSB1 had to be 100% hand-coded. That activity was lengthy, unnecessary tedium, and it just begged to be automated. :P Cliff did the modding community a huge favor when he finally shared his (admittedly buggy & unsupported) Hull Editor with the public. But prior to that, even though it was "possible" to work without that, it was neither efficient nor enjoyable.

So:
Thanks for your observation, but for my part I prefer to save my time & energy for other, more enjoyable aspects of modding GSB2. :) I'm really looking forward to using the GSB2 Hull Editor to automate the drudgery. Let's spend our regained time wisely.
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞

Return to “GSB2 Modding Galaxy”