Changing weapon graphics?

Welcome to the galaxy of modding. Ask your questions, post your mods, explore the universe of galactic modding...
Sable Phoenix
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Changing weapon graphics?

Postby Sable Phoenix » Thu May 21, 2015 12:24 am

Is this possible? I'd like to make the Lightning Beam look something more like this:

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Re: Changing weapon graphics?

Postby cliffski » Fri May 22, 2015 6:06 pm

Yup it should be, because the shipmodules.csv spreadsheet explicitly selects lightning.dds as the texture for that weapon. If you look at that file (you need dds plugins for photoshop or similar) it looks like this:

lightning.jpg
lightning.jpg (72.6 KiB) Viewed 3057 times

The game picks a random strip from what it assumes to be 8 columns, and swaps between them regularly to make it flicker. So you need a file with 8 versions of it, and ensure its in dds format with the right alpha channel; etc.
Then you need a new weapon of the SIM_LightningGunModule variety that actually uses it as its texture.

Sable Phoenix
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby Sable Phoenix » Tue May 26, 2015 6:46 pm

Cool, thanks! One further question, which edge of that .dds file is the start of the beam and which edge is the end? In other words, does the graphic originate from the turret bottom-to-top, or top-to-bottom? I'd like there to be a noticeable impact point on the enemy ship, right now it just looks like it's vigorously tickling the target.

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:31 am

I'm pretty certain its bottom to top, but that might not help because the beam itself gets repeated over long distances, so it doesnt seem to stretch or comrpess, which means you couldn't achieve what you want right now without code changes.

Return to “GSB2 Modding Galaxy”