[Request] *Multiple*-race Module Restriction ability

Welcome to the galaxy of modding. Ask your questions, post your mods, explore the universe of galactic modding...
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

[Request] *Multiple*-race Module Restriction ability

Postby Archduke Astro » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:54 am

Cliff, please provide us modders the ability to specify a multiple-race restriction for shipboard items.
For example, a modder could then make a module whose possible use is then confined -- via a comma-delimited text string -- to (for example) "terran,kraugerisk".

This should be a minor thing to implement, too; we already had it late in GSB1's lifetime.

Having the power to allow multiple races to equip something while also denying other multiple races from using that same something is a superb example of much-needed modding granularity. Luckily, applying this power to various permutations of official content is not the only thing it's useful for. It can also be used to to include/exclude other mods. It can even be applied across multiple mods and GSB2's vanilla content simultaneously! ;)
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Re: [Request] *Multiple*-race Module Restriction ability

Postby cliffski » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:56 am

This is already in there! for both ship modules and visual components just separate them with commas. It looks like I havent done it for race names, is that what you are referring to?

Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:17 am

cliffski wrote:This is already in there! for both ship modules and visual components just separate them with commas. It looks like I havent done it for race names, is that what you are referring to?

If I understand you correctly, it's the race names I'm asking to have broadened here with respect to module restrictions & permissions.

For example, using commas to force some fancy new modules here and there to be constrained in ways such as being permitted for use by "zyrtari,terran,kraugerisk". This would prevent "yootan" from installing those items aboard their hulls.

As long as modders can include two or more races in the text string of who is permitted to make use of any given module, I'm happy.
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞

AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby AcePalarum » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:06 pm

I heartily support this. This functionality was in GSB1 (late in the game) but created program crashes when jumping to the post-battle stats screen; being unable to use it proved most cumbersome for certain aspects of modding. :)
While my ability to succeed is finite, my capacity for failure knows no bounds.
*Basement Tinkerer and OCD Savant of the Friendly Community Mod Squad*

Mods: Matmos Rift, Antares Expanse, Great Powers Stations

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:01 am

Gah, sorry typo., I meant its not done for ship hulls. But its is already supported for ship components and modules. Unless people have tried it and encountered bugs?

Return to “GSB2 Modding Galaxy”