The official GSB 2.0 gameplay discussion thread

Aeson
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: The official GSB 2.0 gameplay discussion thread

Postby Aeson » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:47 pm

GATC wrote:
GATC wrote:Quick question to our Supreme Space Admiral cliffski:
Will the races for GSB 2 include some of the races from GSB 1? (Or all? Or none?) And, if some of them come back, will their design be the same?

Cliffski? ^^'
May I have an answer? Please? ^^

(Or someone direct me to the answer, if answer there is already ^^)

A (vague) counter to darkstar076's negative answer:
cliffski wrote:I'm definitely aware of these issues in the first game and would like to rectify them. Totally different weapons for each race isn't doable for such a small company as us, but I'd like to ramp up the variety, by adding everything from the base game, plus all its DLC, and distributing stuff more widely between races and classes.

From here:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=9903

It doesn't explicitly state that any of the GSB1+DLC factions will be present in GSB2. It does, however, suggest that cliffski would like to include all of them, which suggests that the four races in darkstar076's post are either new names for old factions, or completely new factions, rather than a full list of all the factions which are to be included in GSB2. Of course, an alternative interpretation is that "everything from the base game, plus all its DLC" is in reference to modules specifically and does not include factions.

darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:39 am

Personally I hope your right Aeson. . . but if all else fails, the modders that we have are rather skilled :)
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
-=Modding Guru & Egon Spengler of the Friendly Community Mod Squad=-

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:09 pm

What I'm planning on doing is taking all the GSB1 weapon/module things, for example the swarm smart bomb, and putting them in GSB2, as this is quick and easy, and assigning them to the new races, PLUS adding some new stuff. Because there are only 4 races, and GSB1 had all those extra expansions, that should already make for a more varied setup between races.
So there will be race-specific smart bombs, limpet launchers, decoy projectors, radiation guns & nuclear missiles, return-to-sender missile beams, and all the other stuff :D
I'll be working on this kind of thing more after the Eurogamer show this month...

dafrandle
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby dafrandle » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:49 pm

cliffski wrote:Because there are only 4 races

can't tell if avoiding question
or answering.
having a job has allowed me to understand why Archduke Astro has no time to work on his mods

darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:59 pm

dafrandle wrote:
cliffski wrote:Because there are only 4 races

can't tell if avoiding question
or answering.

Well, the original question was. . .

GATC wrote:Quick question to our Supreme Space Admiral cliffski:
Will the races for GSB 2 include some of the races from GSB 1? (Or all? Or none?) And, if some of them come back, will their design be the same?

Cliff answered with:
cliffski wrote:What I'm planning on doing is taking all the GSB1 weapon/module things, for example the swarm smart bomb, and putting them in GSB2, as this is quick and easy, and assigning them to the new races, PLUS adding some new stuff. Because there are only 4 races, and GSB1 had all those extra expansions, that should already make for a more varied setup between races.
So there will be race-specific smart bombs, limpet launchers, decoy projectors, radiation guns & nuclear missiles, return-to-sender missile beams, and all the other stuff :D

So the answer to the question is No, the GSB I Races such as Federation, Rebels, Empire, Alliance, Order, Tribe, Nomads, Swarm, Parasites & Outcasts. will not be in GSB II.

However as Cliff is migrating the race specific weapons that were used by the aforementioned Races will be making their way across to the game (along with some new stuff). It will be possible to recreate the Races in GSB II but it will up to the community to migrate the GSB I ships/hulls across to GSB II.
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
-=Modding Guru & Egon Spengler of the Friendly Community Mod Squad=-

gdesign95
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby gdesign95 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:21 am

what about refractive shielding that is only effective against energy weapons.
essentially this would make it so a portion of beam energy is dissipated and the more layers (modules) you add the better the effect. could make for an interesting situation full diffraction would be retro reflective, this means that the energy is sent back where it came. I'm pretty sure your shields won't protect you from your own weapons. of course the flaw is that they offer no projectile protection meaning a particle weapon will pierce fully even while the shields are up. I think the play/counterplay would be awesome to watch. ex. okay my beam fleet is ready let's try this challenge... crap they've got refractive shielding I need missiles/plasma/etc. other player's perspective nuts I guess refractive alone wasn't a good idea maybe I need to mix it up a bit.

also particle beams: deal minor damage constantly for a short time. essentially these are designed to kill weaker shields or un-armored ships they stack damage rapidly but has very low armor and hull damage I.E 100% shield 5% armor 5%hull. they could break well shielded units but because of the long reload time after a volley they would be useless against fast moving targets and armored units would shrug it off. the way the hit detection works is upon firing if the first shot hits all subsequent shots are guaranteed to hit in that volley (this is a beam not a howitzer). they would also be a hard counter to non-armored refractive ships as they would wreck their systems quickly if left un-checked

GATC
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby GATC » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:47 am

The "Ship customisation" topic reminded me of a little problem with bullet weapon in GSB1

Currently, the bullets travel up to their max range, plus a tiny bit of additional distance before disappear.

The additional amount of travel of GSB1 isn't big enough.
For BIG ship, when they fire at the maximum range and one turrets is at the other side of the ship, sometimes, the bullet will never hit (specially if the target is also a BIG ship, and the targeted area of it is far from it's centre)
Xedilco are coming for you! http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5506

Cpt. Blaze Morgan
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby Cpt. Blaze Morgan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:27 pm

GSB2 is a most exciting development. I haven't stopped by the forums for some time and this is a fine (if coincidental) "welcome back" surprise.

I've been wading thru the suggestions and comments provided on these pages, but decided to chance skipping to the end with my own. Apologies for any repetition. (Since Cliff is working on a deadline of the end of September, these are probably too late to the party anyhow...)

1) I certainly hope that converting GSB2 to the Mac is high on the business plan "To Do List". The fact that the GSB DLC "Outcasts" never made the leap across to Mac puts a frownie face of anxiety on me that GSB2 will also be unavailable.

2) I beg you to fix the "Load Deployment" feature. What fleet formation is offered is, to my eyes, totally random. I download a challenge that's a tight 20,000 credit/5 pilot fight and the Load Deployment will offer fleets requiring 100,000 on down. There's a massive fleet engagement with full budget and zero restrictions and the Load Deployment is empty! It's not based on Supplies, Environment Restrictions, Budget or Pilots. It drives me nuts to see a Challenge and "Oh, a giant fleet engagement, eh? Well, I've got just the match for that...and, apparently I don't. And I'm not going to reinvent the wheel because life is short."

Also, some fleets are available in the Deployment menu, but then appear on the screen partially on and off the staging area. It's a mess. If there should be any Deployment restriction, it should be if the fleet can fit or not.

Thank you for your attention. Looking forward to the end result!

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:33 pm

Something new finally got added today. Well...two things I guess...

1) Limpet mines now have a GUI showing their current target and a line connecting the limpet and its target which is *really* cool to watch
2) A new class of limpet mine, a 'tracer' limpet, acts exactly like a target painting module, so when it attaches to a fighter, it paints that fighter for missiles.

dafrandle
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby dafrandle » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:40 pm

so like that Ir strobe the little birds used to shoot the rooftops in black hawk down
having a job has allowed me to understand why Archduke Astro has no time to work on his mods

Doctor Xenon
Type I Robot
Type I Robot

Postby Doctor Xenon » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:24 am

This occurred to me recently: What if the battle on a mission select screen doesn't take place above a planet? Afaik, the new screen only shows planets.

dafrandle
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby dafrandle » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:45 pm

what if it takes place inside the planets atmosphere!??!?!

Maethius
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby Maethius » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:01 am

That could pose some interesting challenges, as well as aesthetic differences. What if ships would "sink" if they lost engines, gradually slipping downward and shrinking on the screen until they explode! Bwahahahah!

Vazeron1
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Vazeron1 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:51 am

Quick question - Will GSB 2.0 include a campaign?

E: Answered already I see

starslinger
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby starslinger » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:02 pm

I just registered and I have not read all the posts but I would like to make a suggestion nonetheless. I have GSB1 on Apple iPad, but will likely get GSB2 for my new Mac Mini.

I would like the option to play and progress through the game in some smaller scale battles mixed-in with the big ones. Sometimes a GIANT space battle is not what I'm in the mood for, and I'd rather see my small fleet challenge another small fleet.

Is this or will this be an option for GSB2?

Return to “GSB2 Gratuitous Discussion”