The official GSB 2.0 gameplay discussion thread

Doctor Xenon
Type I Robot
Type I Robot

Re: The official GSB 2.0 gameplay discussion thread

Postby Doctor Xenon » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:03 pm

Aren't there already some small missions in GSB 1?

Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:20 pm

Doctor Xenon wrote:Aren't there already some small missions in GSB 1?

By modern (2015) GSB standards, yes definitely.
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞

Vazeron1
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Vazeron1 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:20 am

This isn't gameplay but I can't believe I forgot to ask. Will there be a borderless windows option for GSB 2? It's super convenient to run the game at fullscreen and be able to tab away to answer a message or something, and would definitely be an awesome addition.

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:14 pm

It's not in yet as i recall, but it was in democracy 3, so I must know how to do it. I'll put it on my list... :D

Èrik Holland
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby Èrik Holland » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:24 am

Cliff,

Any chance we can get a little more room around our ships in development mode? especially to the top and bottom i tend to 'fall off' the screen when adding spikes and fire

Danou
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Danou » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:16 pm

cliffski wrote:Version Beta 1.20 March
==========================
9) Fixed bug where light and heavy cruiser shield strength was reversed.

Are you sure they were reversed? Or was the heavy cruiser shields intended like it is in Beta 1.19?

For me it is ok if very high shield resistance (26) of heavy cruiser shields comes with low shield strength (50).
However, light cruiser shields (shield resistance 16) had a slightly to high shield strength (200).

Btw. look at the shield strengths of frigates, it is a similar picture. High shield resistance comes with low shield strength.
Creator of Danou's Rebalance Mod

AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby AcePalarum » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:27 am

Danou wrote: High shield resistance comes with low shield strength.

I had noticed this as well, and I rather like it. It provides a bit more complexity in choosing what shields to install on a given ship design.

That being said, I would like to see the heavy frigate shields get a bit more strength; I stopped using them because effectively, once the frigate gets into range of enemy cruisers/dreadnoughts, suddenly I didn't put a shield on it at all. Even heavy frigate shields don't really protect much against cruiser/dreadnought guns (and I'm not saying they should be strong protection, but I'd like to see them moved out of one-hit wonder territory).
While my ability to succeed is finite, my capacity for failure knows no bounds.
*Basement Tinkerer and OCD Savant of the Friendly Community Mod Squad*

Mods: Matmos Rift, Antares Expanse, Great Powers Stations

Galactic Hunter
Type I Robot
Type I Robot

Postby Galactic Hunter » Mon May 04, 2015 10:08 am

Initial impressions and thoughts on GSB2:

- I liked GSB1, for a while, although I found it got tired quite quickly
- I like what I know about Cliffski and enjoy his blog
- I like GSB2 about as much as I liked GSB1. In fact, it feels like pretty much the same game
- Some of the graphics are, um, different now. I try to turn them off, but some of the most annoying it seems I cannot turn off
- Everything I didn't like about GSB1, is still the same. Limited space (getting killed while running into corners), inability for ships to try and maintain range, no campaign, fixed costs for all components with no 'research' possible, paying Honor to unlock races, hulls and components. I hated them the first time and I still hate them.
- The new races make no sense to me. I think they are supposed to be 'fun', but they just appear to be unclear. I read the descriptions and have no idea what it means about how they are going to play. Which ones have good fighters, which ones don't have shields, etc? The GSB1 races made more sense to me.
- The diabolical color schemes we see in the new ships (typically) make it look a bit too jokey/not serious.
- It is quite crashy. More than I ever recommend GSB1 being.
- The component descriptions are too generic. All the armor says "metal plating etc" when what I really want to know is the key characteristics of this armor vs others. Powered armor is lighter than heavy armor, using power instead of mass to provide protection, etc.
- You can compare the 'power required' or other key components in a graph against other components, but you cannot filter this to only compare against other weapons, or armor against armor.
- I agree with others that a LOT more could be done to build up the battles from tiny skirmishes initially. I am quite interested in a few fighters vs a few other fighters, or versus a frigate. It could also let you find out about some of the detailed capabilities of different fighter builds in various circumstances.

- I am still playing through it exploring the different capabilities of races, weapons and ships, but I don't think there has been enough work done on some of the weak areas of the game concepts to really recommend this game to others. I will not be leaving a review on the relevant sites. I would prefer a 4X or similar strategic layer that uses this engine as the combat resolution.

speedoflight
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby speedoflight » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:26 pm

I must say i enjoyed a lot GSB1, i even spent a lot of time modding (near 2 years) but i am a bit dissapointed with this second part.

As the previous guy, everything i didnt like about GSB1 is still present in GSB2. Sad.

Now, graphics, i mean, i dunno if this is my system or not, but i notice the graphics blurry and with poor definition. Not like GSB1 was. I mean, is there any way to increase the sharpness and definition of the graphics?? or are they designed like that?? if thats the case, im sorry but i am not going to play a game with such blury graphics. I mean, GSB1 was great, but GSB2... very dissapointed.

Also, i only tried it in about 3 ocasions. Because it keeps crashing for no reason. When im going to battle, in the main menu, etc. I also didnt notice any improvements in the real-time fights. Nothing that was missing in GSB is added in GSB2, i expected far more interaction with the ships, not just a couple more menus and infos and thats it.

Of course i imagine it is soon to value the final product, but honestly is far inferior than GSB1.

dafrandle
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby dafrandle » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:48 am

speedoflight wrote: i expected far more interaction with the ships,

do you perhaps mean that you wish you could order your ships during the battle? The games (gsb1; so then all gsb) original design was to not do that.
having a job has allowed me to understand why Archduke Astro has no time to work on his mods

lykergus
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby lykergus » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:41 pm

This game has great space battles.... I wish they would make a good 4X game with this kinda battles when fleets clash.... there are so many 4X games that have such Lame combat... but if combined with this game they would be good....

dafrandle
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby dafrandle » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:35 am

i agree, something to look into far in the future cliffski?
having a job has allowed me to understand why Archduke Astro has no time to work on his mods

N3MES1S
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby N3MES1S » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:26 pm

dafrandle wrote:
speedoflight wrote: i expected far more interaction with the ships,

do you perhaps mean that you wish you could order your ships during the battle? The games (gsb1; so then all gsb) original design was to not do that.

And still GSB1 had more interaction than GSB2...

N3MES1S
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby N3MES1S » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:28 pm

lykergus wrote:This game has great space battles.... I wish they would make a good 4X game with this kinda battles when fleets clash.... there are so many 4X games that have such Lame combat... but if combined with this game they would be good....

Sure, but there is a reason games like that doesnt exist. It is too complicated to do what you asking lol. And the problem is, the speed in gratuitous space battles is nerfed because of the game mechanics, in a game where you actually control the ship it will be stupid and boring to death to have a ship moving at those ridiculous slower speeds..

Return to “GSB2 Gratuitous Discussion”