GSB 2.0 Graphics Experiment...

Aeson
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: GSB 2.0 Graphics Experiment...

Postby Aeson » Mon May 26, 2014 4:35 am

Looks neat. I don't particularly care for the streaks of light around the engines or randomly in the middle of the planet in the first two images on the blog post, though (if it's associated with a weapon effect or something like that which doesn't come through in the still image that well, that could be different). They just don't really look right to me.

Also, about the planet scaling thing: not zooming in the planets implies that the planets much further away from the viewer than the objects in the foreground are, while scaling the planet at the same rate as the stuff in the foreground implies that the planet and the stuff in the foreground are at similar distances from the viewer. I personally think that I'd tend to prefer either no scaling or something less than the scaling rate of the foreground objects to equal scaling.

I also tend to think that in GSB2 you can give some subtle battle performance feedback with the scenarios and scaling the planet.

Perhaps in a scenario like Battle of Mexalon II you could have the planet scale up or down depending on who is winning the battle (attackers winning => increase planet scale to indicate that the attackers are pushing closer to their objective; defenders winning => decrease planet scale to indicate that the attackers are being pushed back, or something similar), though this probably isn't suitable for all scenarios.

It could even make an interesting alternate win/loss condition for some scenarios, if you treated the planet scale as though it were a range - perhaps victory in Scenario A is 'push the defenders sufficiently far back that we can commence bombardment' rather than 'obliterate the enemy fleet', and you have a little bar on one side of the screen that has a 'range indicator' that moves up or down depending on how well your fleet is doing - perhaps destroying enemy ships pushes the bar closer while losing some of your own pushes it further back with the distance the bar moves being determined by the ratio of the fleet percentages, or perhaps being the side with the higher remaining percentage pushes the bar in the 'good' direction while having the lower percentage pushes the bar in the 'bad' direction with the bar's movement rate determined by the ratio of the the percentages.

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Mon May 26, 2014 9:25 am

Those two random streaks of light are actually an anomaly I need to fix, don't panic :D And the other streaks will be togglable off in options if you don't like them.

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Sat May 31, 2014 11:17 am

I fixed those streaks, plus here is a truly gratuitous 2560 res screenshot...

screenshot_31-05-2014_12-09-20.jpg
screenshot_31-05-2014_12-09-20.jpg (407.27 KiB) Viewed 5507 times

Aeson
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Aeson » Sat May 31, 2014 7:15 pm

Neat. I guess Red Team's in a bit of trouble, though...

Also, that red triple beam coming off of the grey ship with the glowing blue hole in it looks kind of odd, especially where it joins the hull. Are we getting turrets that get placed under the hull in addition to over the hull?

darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:31 am

Since its early alpha, it might be possible that the layers were drawn in the wrong order making it look like Multi Turret beams originated from under the ship
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
-=Modding Guru & Egon Spengler of the Friendly Community Mod Squad=-

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:16 am

Actually this is a bit of a game engine design issue, in that the triple-laser ship is firing at a ship *beneath* it, so the beams are kind of in the right place, although obviously it looks a little off when you analyze it.
In the heat of battle you are definitely not going to notice that stuff. Wait until there is video and you'll see what I mean :D

gunnyfreak
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby gunnyfreak » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:29 am

It's all subjective and etc., but I really don't like the visual direction that ship designs are going :P

They seem so... blocky... and incoherent... and unattractive. Whereas GSB 1 ships almost always had the same general design theme and color scheme for their race (save for 2 of those races).
SOOOO........... MANY........ BUGS!!!!!!

Doctor Xenon
Type I Robot
Type I Robot

Postby Doctor Xenon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:45 am

I kinda agree with that. I'd be alright if it was just that one particular faction we're seeing so far which has ships looking like that, though.

"While the other factions were spending their time making their ships look nice and pretty, these guys skipped that part in favor of stronger, more durable ships knowing that in the end, the strongest ship survives while the weak perish."

Maybe that particular race is kinda like that?

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:08 am

Don't worry about that at all. These are just tests. Your ships won't look like that. I should emphasise YOUR ships. :D

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:24 pm

A sample ship where I put slightly more effort into being visually cohesive:

screenshot_05-06-2014_15-22-28.png
screenshot_05-06-2014_15-22-28.png (1.66 MiB) Viewed 5303 times

Variant Phalanx
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby Variant Phalanx » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:51 pm

So...Beautiful...
Ahhh...That wasn't supposed to happen.

Joecairo
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Joecairo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:27 pm

cliffski wrote:Don't worry about that at all. These are just tests. Your ships won't look like that. I should emphasise YOUR ships. :D

If this means what I think it does.....

(massive grin)

Variant Phalanx
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby Variant Phalanx » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:49 am

Joecairo wrote:
cliffski wrote:Don't worry about that at all. These are just tests. Your ships won't look like that. I should emphasise YOUR ships. :D

If this means what I think it does.....

(massive grin)

*Jaw hits the floor in a cartoony manner*

Cliffski...

Shut up and take my money...

NO WORDS, just cash.
Ahhh...That wasn't supposed to happen.

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:09 am

Latest gratuitous screenshot. Running fine at 56 FPS :D

screenshot_12-06-2014_11-02-00.jpg
screenshot_12-06-2014_11-02-00.jpg (363.13 KiB) Viewed 6086 times

Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:06 pm

Berny_74:

If you have concerns about how gameplay features are going to operate for the player instead of only how they're going to visually look, you should post that question here. :) This thread is solely for cliffski's GSB2 graphics experiments; I moved your post accordingly.

To everyone:

Off-topic posts are subject to possible deletion; don't say you weren't cautioned. This thread needs to remain focused -- thanks for your cooperation, folks.
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞

Return to “GSB2 Gratuitous Discussion”