GSB 2.0 Graphics Experiment...

AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: GSB 2.0 Graphics Experiment...

Postby AcePalarum » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:17 pm

Even if the shadow is "not entirely accurate", I still like the way this has turned out. I can see asteroid shadows passing over ships as they glide by, giving the battlefield one more little 3D visual element. Bravo to you, Cliff, for persevering even through the nightmares!
While my ability to succeed is finite, my capacity for failure knows no bounds.
*Basement Tinkerer and OCD Savant of the Friendly Community Mod Squad*

Mods: Matmos Rift, Antares Expanse, Great Powers Stations

lkohime
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby lkohime » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:41 am

I'm wondering how your engine handles the rendering. is it a 2D projection of a 3D space, or is it a cheated "3D view" of the 2D surface?
If it's the former, how do you define camera angles? That is, could the 2.0 engine have the possibility for a side view? I rather doubt that would be the case, but figured it was worth asking given the last screenshot.
Creator of the Laser Fighter Swarm tactic for Campaign, hater of fighters

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:22 pm

No it's all faked: everything is 2D sprites, using magic to look much more 3D than before. One of the motivations for this is modding, as it makes modding much easier for people than would otherwise be the case.
Also happy to report it works in 2560x1440 res now, although annoyingly multi-monitor fullscreen 2560x1440 x 2 is now suddenly buggy. :(

lkohime
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby lkohime » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:51 am

About what I expected, although the illusion of 3D got really fantastic.
On a semi-related note, what's the timescale a project of this magnitude usually operates on? Not this one in particular, but one of about this level of complexity and scope.
Creator of the Laser Fighter Swarm tactic for Campaign, hater of fighters

Maethius
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby Maethius » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:35 pm

As you have said so many times, Cliffski, I bet it will look even more fantastic when in motion. It looks plenty good NOW!

Now, let's see you simulate some Z-axis stuff so ships can pass over and under each other, casting shadows on lower ships! It would change the game a lot if a ship could slip up or down around another vessel rather than "collide" with it until the two scrape off in different directions or one dies!

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:24 pm

Maethius wrote:As you have said so many times, Cliffski, I bet it will look even more fantastic when in motion. It looks plenty good NOW!

Now, let's see you simulate some Z-axis stuff so ships can pass over and under each other, casting shadows on lower ships! It would change the game a lot if a ship could slip up or down around another vessel rather than "collide" with it until the two scrape off in different directions or one dies!

Ha! I actually do have shadows working. Although they are totally faked, and could do with some work, they do help with the whole feeling of depth.

Maethius
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby Maethius » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:49 pm

I was wondering about the ability to produce different impact effects with different weapons. For instance:

Now, I'm not talking about every impact leaving a twisty scorch mark (although, if it worked in the end, that would be pretty cool), but what about a plume of appropriately colored particles spraying at some point where the beam crosses a model? Perhaps this could occur if the beam struck a turret, regardless if the turret were destroyed; the beam could assume it would trace across the ship model and would be temporarily shortened by the turret, generating a small spark or explosion.

And, of course, we have loads of missiles and torps flying around. Wouldn't it be nice to see the occasional:

What thinkest thou?

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:06 am

Well indeed, this would be awesome. I've thought for ages about the whole 'tracing a line of destruction over the hull' meme. The main technical problem I have not solved yet is (quickly) working out what lines can be drawn on a ship that are solid, without a hole in the ship also being included. Theoretically this could all be pre-calculated, but that's a very clunky way of doing it. I'm still thinking about it.

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:19 pm

Maethius
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby Maethius » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:14 pm

Oh, very nice! Personally, I like a combination of pic #2 for the ship and pic #5 for its lighting. It would be great if individual shots could have some sort of filter applied to them that made them appear to illuminate ships they fly over or impact (a sort of way to "punch through" the shading layer as the shot streaked across a model.

The idea of actually punching holes through ships with critical shots would be very, very cool. Say, if a particular weapon exceeded a set percentage of a ship's overall HP it could simulate blowing a jagged hole through the hull. That 'hole point' could set off particle effects like sparks or smoke, looking like the wounded USS Reliant in The Wrath of Khan... though not as dramatic; I understand there is already a load on some processors with all of the elements currently at work here. The hole feature could also be used as a visual cue system for players as well; if you see a ship rocked by a single hit you know its hull integrity is now down by 10%, etc.

As a similar system, or as an expansion of the above, one of its gun emplacements could completely explode and tear a hole through the ship as well, making a ship become more pock-marked and jagged as it loses systems (even if striking weapons did not leave any marks).

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:51 am

I've finally got hull lights working correctly, now it's time to work on my ship editor a bit...

screenshot_10-03-2014_11-46-39.jpg
screenshot_10-03-2014_11-46-39.jpg (95.41 KiB) Viewed 5522 times

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:07 pm

A brief post to quickly point out there actually is now a slightly less placeholdery website than before: http://www.gratuitousspacebattles2.com/
:D

ponyus
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby ponyus » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:18 am

I just love the lights coming across the hull from the bridge. Reminds me a lot of the way ships in star trek have lights that light up the name of the ship.

wouldnt it be cool to have the name of the ship that you give it in the deployment phase appear on the hull of the ship? maybe have like a dedicated area on some ships for the name to appear on and make each race have their own written language, so it's just looks like alien symbols.

So many ideas, so little time...
Gameplay Designer and balancing wizard for Gratuitous Space Battles 2

to me "gratuitous" means "awesome"

Winner of the 2011 community mod contest

Maethius
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby Maethius » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:22 pm

Oh, that looks striking! The things you could do with some directional lighting! I would love to see how these new improvements animate. :)

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:17 am

This is not at all gameplay-related, so I'm posting this here.

You might like the idea of being able to have ship-name graphics? Currently it involves 5 minutes with Photoshop and a text editor, but it is theoretically possible to add a system to make it much easier. Just time...time..time.

In any event, this sort of thing will be very moddable :D Enjoy!

shipname.jpg
shipname.jpg (238.03 KiB) Viewed 4670 times

Return to “GSB2 Gratuitous Discussion”