Modding tool

Khornel
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Re: Modding tool

Postby Khornel » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:23 pm

NoShotz wrote:
Khornel wrote:That looks very weird NoShotz. I'll check it out when I get a chance, probably tomorrow. I'll probably have to get the height down to fit your screen, might be start menu I haven't factored in.
On second thought, that topbar should have a fixed height, so that doesn't make any sense, what happens if you un-maximize it and just make the window big manually?

nothing changes, still the same

Okay I just looked closer at your screenshot and it seems you're using some kind of font and possibly a custom Windows skin? In any case everything in is getting stretched and put in the wrong place, e.g. look at the "Delete" under effects, the text is not centered correctly, there is unfortunately nothing I can do about this.

tsalagimahariel wrote:
Khornel wrote:Yeah, File - Import Mod, and then select the txt file with the name and location of the mod. But note that it will only be able to load and save policies, simulations, situations and events.

Ok, I tried that but it says theres no Democracy 3 data.

I updated the application to give more descriptive error messages, if it still throws you the no Democracy data error then your mod folders might not be structured correctly, it should be:
mod.txt
mod/data/YOU-STUFF-HERE
If you still can't get it to work, you can zip the mod and send it to me, and I will be able to find the problem.

Note that I have disabled some error handling which might load your mod files incorrectly, so pay attention to your effects. The latest Democracy 3 update has broken policies.
tsalagimahariel
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby tsalagimahariel » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:04 pm

I have it set up the way Cliff showed in his tutorial and I downloaded the new version but it still says the same thing.

I have it set up this way: demo3/data/mods/mod.txt
demo3/MyMod/data/sub folders and stuff inside them

Thats right isn't it? it works in-game.
Khornel
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Postby Khornel » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:25 pm

tsalagimahariel wrote:I have it set up the way Cliff showed in his tutorial and I downloaded the new version but it still says the same thing.

I have it set up this way: demo3/data/mods/mod.txt
demo3/MyMod/data/sub folders and stuff inside them

Thats right isn't it? it works in-game.

I don't actually know, I can't find any definitive answer on how anything works in Democracy 3 anywhere and I've run into loads of undocumented features.
The mods I've used were set up like
demo3/data/mods/mod.txt
demo3/data/mods/Mymod/data

So the program expects the Path attribute in your mod.txt to be "data\mods\MyMod", and it will search for the MyMod folder relative to the txt file, no matter where it resides, it just ignores "data\mods\".
This probably wasn't the best way to do it, but as a work around you can move your mod folder to the same folder as your txt and change the path to "data\mods\MyMod" and move it back when your done, if it is necessary for your version of Democracy.

Edit: I don't know why it took me till now to figure out that the Path attribute is relative to the Democracy 3 installation folder. I just assumed it needed to be in the mods folder and coded it so it would work no matter where your mod is placed, as long as the mod data is in the same folder as the mod.txt. So just move MyMod to the data/mods folder and change the path in mod.txt to data/mods/MyMod
NoShotz
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby NoShotz » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:14 am

Khornel wrote:Okay I just looked closer at your screenshot and it seems you're using some kind of font and possibly a custom Windows skin? In any case everything in is getting stretched and put in the wrong place, e.g. look at the "Delete" under effects, the text is not centered correctly, there is unfortunately nothing I can do about this.

i fixed it, i changed my pc's default font to a different font recently, i changed it back, and it was fine
hardcore_gamer
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby hardcore_gamer » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:33 pm

Is this still being worked on?

Also, why can I only add new policies/effects but not edit existing ones?
Khornel
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Postby Khornel » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:27 am

hardcore_gamer wrote:Is this still being worked on?

Also, why can I only add new policies/effects but not edit existing ones?

I have stopped working on this, when I get the chance I will upload the source, hopefully somebody can use what I've made to implement more functionality.

At the time I was working on the tool, there was no way to create a mod overriding existing game data. I don't know if this is still the case.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:36 pm

New mod support changes allow you to override existing game data, one link at a time (you cna basically edit, remove or add new effects). For details see here:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=8579
Samhaz2524
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby Samhaz2524 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:16 pm

how do you use this for polices? the last few times i used it nothing showed up in game.
Guidrion
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby Guidrion » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:07 pm

Have you checked if your mod is correctly installed?
Samhaz2524
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby Samhaz2524 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:35 pm

yes
Elinor
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Elinor » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:31 pm

After getting a bit annoyed with fiddling around with .csv files, I gave this a try and have to say it is incredibly useful. It makes the process of developing mods much easier to envisage, and plotting out how things will interact is much simpler. I will definitely continue to use it wherever possible.

Thanks very much for putting in the time to develop it and release it to the public.

-El
mirac.anil.1
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby mirac.anil.1 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:25 pm

is there any update it isnt working with the last patch?
dcosta
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby dcosta » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:57 am

This is great. Thanks!
juanpablo.ochoba
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby juanpablo.ochoba » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:11 pm

Hi there. When I want to run the modding tool, the message of the image can be displayed .That me? This tool installed moodding bad, or I can not find the directories with files ?.
Finally, I could explain how to use the tool, ie tell me which directories / files are editable? thank you
Attachments
Sin título.png
Sin título.png (171.49 KiB) Viewed 3862 times
dcosta
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby dcosta » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:05 pm

How do you import a mod

Return to “modding”