Democracy 3 official modding guide

cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Democracy 3 official modding guide

Postby cliffski » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:50 pm

Ok this should start people off who were considering some mods to the game:...

http://www.positech.co.uk/democracy3/modding.html

This guide explains how to mod almost everything, but if you have any questions, please let me know...
Thimorin
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Re: Democracy 3 official modding guide

Postby Thimorin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:29 pm

That's really fine!
Let's go.... :-)
Sickan
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Postby Sickan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:44 pm

Great! Let's get to modding :3
Sickan
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Postby Sickan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:28 pm

Can I add policies using the mods/<modname>/data/simluation/policies.csv file? I've tried, but new policies don't show up if I don't add them to the policies.csv in the regular simulation folder
Xietanu
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby Xietanu » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:48 pm

Sickan - The problem is that your mod is in the wrong folder. The folder should be /Democracy 3/<mod name>/...

I've had a couple of reads through the documentation, but I've not spotted how you over-ride existing things in the simulation? For instance, I want to add in an 'education gap' statistic. Among other things, this would be increased by private schools, and would damage overall equality. As such, I want to break the direct link between private schools and equality, but I can't see a way to do this. I've tried using a statistic of the same name, but this just duplicates the stat and causes crashes, rather than over-riding.
Thimorin
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby Thimorin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:14 pm

Hm, well the instruction for MOD install is a little bit....I don't understand the needed structure of mod...
Maybe a nice screenshot? :-)
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:34 pm

Xietanu wrote:Sickan - The problem is that your mod is in the wrong folder. The folder should be /Democracy 3/<mod name>/...

I've had a couple of reads through the documentation, but I've not spotted how you over-ride existing things in the simulation? For instance, I want to add in an 'education gap' statistic. Among other things, this would be increased by private schools, and would damage overall equality. As such, I want to break the direct link between private schools and equality, but I can't see a way to do this. I've tried using a statistic of the same name, but this just duplicates the stat and causes crashes, rather than over-riding.

Hi you can do this using the mission-based overrides folder, but you mean globally? This is actually supported but not yet documented, by putting a file in a specific location, I'll add this to the modding guide when I get a chance...
Xietanu
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby Xietanu » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:58 pm

Sorry, yes, I meant globally. Okay, I'll just be patient then and await the update to the documentation :D
Thimorin
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby Thimorin » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:52 pm

Ok, seems to be that I understand the way of installation.
Elinor
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Elinor » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:30 pm

Hi Cliffski. Is it possible to add our own sliders? I tried adding one the same way you would add a policy, by adding a sliders.csv file and adding my own new slider. However, the game doesn't recognise it. The same line works if I add it into the main sliders.csv, it just doesn't seem to pick it up when it's in a mod? Any suggestions?

-El
Sickan
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Postby Sickan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:45 pm

Really nifty how you can quit to the main menu and your mod is reloaded when you get back into the game, really saves time when tweaking (:
Elinor
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Elinor » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:52 pm

Really nifty how you can quit to the main menu and your mod is reloaded when you get back into the game, really saves time when tweaking (:

Oh, I didn't know that. I kept quitting and opening the game again. This is really helpful to know, thank you.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:48 am

Elinor wrote:Hi Cliffski. Is it possible to add our own sliders? I tried adding one the same way you would add a policy, by adding a sliders.csv file and adding my own new slider. However, the game doesn't recognise it. The same line works if I add it into the main sliders.csv, it just doesn't seem to pick it up when it's in a mod? Any suggestions?

-El

Hi, that sounds like laziness on my part, I bet I forgot to scan mod folders for sliders. I shall put this on my todo list for the next patch. I'm currently on the show floor at the Eurogamer Expo, so I can't code until Monday :D
Elinor
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Elinor » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:26 am

Thanks Cliffski. That sounds great, and of course I don't expect anything immediately. I just wanted to check that I'd not missed anything and was being foolish.

-El
ypap77
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby ypap77 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:08 am

Is it possible to install a mod under Mac running Democracy 3 though steam ???

Return to “modding”