Suggestions for Democracy 3

Leanest Greenest
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Re: Suggestions for Democracy 3

Postby Leanest Greenest » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:06 pm

Dang. I guess politics isn't my strong suit but I like the games anyway. It's fun and passes the time. Is it at all possible to make the income tax a removable object rather than one the player just increases and decreases occasionally? I mean, if were talking about Libertarianism here why not allow players to go all the way to the bank with a Libertarian philosophy with the ability to remove the income tax entirely and implement other Libertarian policies and still hold office? Normally, if I just try to cut my country into a Libertarian utopia of prosperity I get voted out on my backside. Lol. Like, there are times when I just feel like ending State Schools, State Health Service, and State Pensions but I still expect to keep winning. Either that or I'm just not good at it.

Imagine though being able to run your country without an income tax at all.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:02 pm

Yup, you can cancel income tax entirely already, that's trivially supported :D
fredmarble
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby fredmarble » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:23 am

Here are some suggestions to strengthen democracy 3. Do you support these changes? Are
these changes likely to happen? Give your reasons for each of these.
1) UN General Assembly should become like a world parliament with representatives from each country
in proportion to the population of the country. These representatives should elect a world government.
2) Individual countries should not have armies. The UN should maintain task forces to bring about
peace in case of conflict between nations.
3) A UN President should be elected directly by all the people of the world
Last edited by fredmarble on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeffryfisher
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby jeffryfisher » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:30 am

fredmarble wrote:Here are some suggestions to strengthen democracy 3. Do you support these changes? Are
these changes likely to happen? Give your reasons for each of these.
1) UN General Assembly should become like a world parliament with representatives from each country
in proportion to the population of the country. These representatives should elect a world government.
2) Individual countries should not have armies. The UN should maintain task forces to bring about
peace in case of conflict between nations.
3) A UN President should be elected directly by all the people of the world

That would be great... if I were in sole command of the UN army and navy. Then I would push the UN to enact a world wide gun ban, which would be followed closely by my declaring myself world dictator for life. By the time you figured out what mistake you had made, you would no longer have any power to fix it.

In game terms, a whole-world government would just be a very large country with no foreign policy or foreign events. On the other hand, as a crisis for a normal country, the threat of having UN hegemony thrust upon you could be interesting.
ZeroTheHero
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby ZeroTheHero » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi,
First post but enjoying Democracy 2 and Fate of the World :Tipping Point recently purchased from Steam.
Seeing as you are developing from "Scratch" I would like to see the following implemented.

1) Files in XML format. I find these a lot easier modding than comma separated files in text format.
2) Have a load mod option or mod screen so that original scenarios aren't overwritten. Same with simulation files same name loads mod not original.
3) The game seems to be in a period/time limbo. It would be nice to have simulation in 70's, 80's etc with Dates shown.
4) I like the format of tipping point with cards (Policies) this would enhance Democracy 2 bland visual style. Might attract card players.
5) Not sure about this has haven't really got under the hood of the game but being invaded should really be game over?
6) Might be nice for Ministers to offer suggestions similar to SimCity, ministers at the moment seem almost irrelevant. Might be nice to pick ministers when initially taking office, also give ministers more "oomphhh" by having more stats, background and style to distinguish them.
7) News items could do with something like FOTW images, maybe incorporate dilemmas into headlines from papers.

I suppose what I am after is a little bit more of an immersion factor.
The actual implementation of the Pie Chart and connections with the central groups is a ground breaking piece of design.
Well that's it for now.
jeffryfisher
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby jeffryfisher » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:52 pm

ZeroTheHero wrote: 5) Not sure about this has haven't really got under the hood of the game but being invaded should really be game over?

Being conquered would be game over, but being invaded could cause the populace to rally around the flag (support the pres) unless the president is so awful that the people would rather be ruled by foreign conquerors.

6) Might be nice to pick ministers when initially taking office, also give ministers more "oomphhh" by having more stats, background and style to distinguish them.

The minister interface should be improved. From the view of the whole cabinet, I'd like to be able to open up one office and see both the current cab member and all aspiring replacements. I'd like to have multiple candidates for any post I view in detail, and I should be able to make a change right there.

I'd also like to have a way to move a minister from one post to another without firing (and angering) him/her first.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:50 pm

Ministers have been re-jigged a bit for the new game. There are many more candidates for the posts, and more visual variety for them. Also, you can implement a cabinet reshuffle and change everyone (which costs some political capital). They will also have greater impact on events, and that impact will be displayed more prominently than before.
Jon
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby Jon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:38 pm

Would it be possible to beef up foreign policy a bit? Maybe introduce options like questions of military intervention, nuclear proliferation and international terrorism?
Erion
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Erion » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:48 pm

I know this is out of the present scope of the game, but I'd really love to see an opposition phase. So when you lose election it wouldn't mean game over unless you are a certain threshold, you'd just play the opposition until the next election. I know this is basicly a new gameplay, but do parties really disappear if they are not reelected once?
jeffryfisher
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby jeffryfisher » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:12 am

cliffski wrote:Ministers have been re-jigged a bit for the new game. There are many more candidates for the posts, and more visual variety for them. Also, you can implement a cabinet reshuffle and change everyone (which costs some political capital). They will also have greater impact on events, and that impact will be displayed more prominently than before.

Does that mean that we can make lateral moves for free? I often want to move a minister from one post to another, but D2 forces me to fire and rehire (with consequences). I should be able to fire bozo from post1, move John from post2 to post1, and then hire Jane in post2.
Eich
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Eich » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:25 pm

One suggestion only. Make everything modable. UI, Policies, Population Archetypes, (Random Events?). This way you can work on your next game after release and leave the addons to us... the modders... ;) Possible addons from developer side should mainly deliver new features (eg. wars or crisis), not more content (eg. starting countries or hats).
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:40 pm

jeffryfisher wrote:
cliffski wrote:Ministers have been re-jigged a bit for the new game. There are many more candidates for the posts, and more visual variety for them. Also, you can implement a cabinet reshuffle and change everyone (which costs some political capital). They will also have greater impact on events, and that impact will be displayed more prominently than before.

Does that mean that we can make lateral moves for free? I often want to move a minister from one post to another, but D2 forces me to fire and rehire (with consequences). I should be able to fire bozo from post1, move John from post2 to post1, and then hire Jane in post2.

Not completely free, you have to reshuffle which will cost political capital, but there will not be repercussions in terms of negative opinions from 'firing' someone.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Eich wrote:One suggestion only. Make everything modable. UI, Policies, Population Archetypes, (Random Events?). This way you can work on your next game after release and leave the addons to us... the modders... ;) Possible addons from developer side should mainly deliver new features (eg. wars or crisis), not more content (eg. starting countries or hats).

Yeah, the game is pretty moddable by default, as all of the key relationships and data are in spreadsheets and text files already.
Eich
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Eich » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:07 pm

cliffski wrote:Yeah, the game is pretty moddable by default, as all of the key relationships and data are in spreadsheets and text files already.

Sweet Jesus... If you also make it possible to alter the pictures for the policies (the round thingies) and the people which represent the citizen archtypes, you will make me the happiest man on earth... The possibilities! Rome Mod, Game of Thrones Mod, Star Wars: The Republic Mod, Star Trek Mod, Holy Roman Empire Mod... just tell me when to stop ^^
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:34 pm

yup that's already possible, it's an entry in the spreadsheet for that policy :D

Return to “General Discussion”