Lets talk about the unit deployment bar...

For feedback during the beta-pre-order period for the tower-defense/RTS/management/sim hybrid ww1/2/future game.
Teal_Blue
Type I Robot
Type I Robot

Re: Lets talk about the unit deployment bar...

Postby Teal_Blue » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:28 am

:) Cliff,
Looking forward to seeing the design, it sounds wonderful!!

Take care,
-Teal
SneakyMax
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby SneakyMax » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:41 am

Leave it to cliffski to implement the feature in a couple days!

I have the same questions as gunnyfreak.

Also, out of curiosity, what made you choose two vertical columns as opposed to the two horizontal ones like in my image? I was thinking that the division units would work better horizontally, because the unit bar is horizontal, and sorting units would make more sense that way.

I would love to see these divisions make their way in to challenges. When you're attacking on a custom map, for example, the AI can only use the division units included in the map (maps directly to the "scenario units" option).
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:07 am

thats an interesting point actually, ruight now there is some custom monkeying around to tell the AI to use specific units, where with this system, it becomes as simple as selecting a division for the AI, in some ways (not quite that simple).
I do like the idea of the player being able to design a bunch of units for the AI, save them as a division, then say "I want to play against these guys".
Xietanu
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby Xietanu » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:56 am

SneakyMax wrote:I would love to see these divisions make their way in to challenges. When you're attacking on a custom map, for example, the AI can only use the division units included in the map (maps directly to the "scenario units" option).

I think this is a great idea, as I'd love to play against other peoples units in way other than just recorded. Though it would be nice if you could set both an attacker and defender division to upload, regardless of which you played when you uploaded?

Perhaps you could select the division for the AI to use at the beginning, adding to the current choice of recorded/all/scenario, and that choice would be recorded if you upload the challenge?
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:09 pm

And... this is what I did:

http://youtu.be/WNozRThYoUY
Xietanu
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby Xietanu » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:19 pm

That video looks good, Cliffski, thanks for showing it off. Can I just say how awesome it is to have a dev that a) very obviously listens to user feedback and b) implements changes based on that feedback so quickly.
Teal_Blue
Type I Robot
Type I Robot

Postby Teal_Blue » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:10 pm

Video looks beautful!!! :)

Can't wait to try it.

:)

-Teal
Trifler
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby Trifler » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:57 am

Awesome :)
Watsong
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Watsong » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:08 pm

Please, please add filtering in.

Attacker: Don't show turrets and buildings.
Defender: Don't show mechs, tanks or trucks.

Two buttons. Two filters.

It makes sense.
Kranodor
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Postby Kranodor » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:56 pm

That is pretty much how I imagined it, very nice. I like it.

Now I'm hoping for an option to play any map against adaptive AI with a specific division set, and uploading/sharing divisions.
Mr. Weedy
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Mr. Weedy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:29 pm

Also make it so that you can select your units only once in the beginning of the game so you won't start swapping your units around in the middle of a battle. That feels like cheating. "I'll have this set of cards in my hand and he's going to do that to me with his cards. I'll just swap some cards in my hand and... there we go. I can beat him easily now."

Maybe make it so that you start with previously used unit set and if you don't want to change them, you click accept at the unit selection bar, or wherever the accept button would be. If you want to customize your unit selection, you click the customize button and select what you want and then accept. Then you hit start the battle and start fighting and are unable to change your current unit set anymore.
gunnyfreak
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby gunnyfreak » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:01 am

maybe an easier way to swap between divisions?

for people who use this as a classification thing it should help (i.e: infantry division, tank division, etc)

number hotkeys or tabs are two ideas I thought up just now....
SOOOO........... MANY........ BUGS!!!!!!
oldsalt
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby oldsalt » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:27 am

Love how you did the div set up. Like it a lot, much better then what it is now.
Elric_de_Melnibone
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby Elric_de_Melnibone » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:47 am

Mr. Weedy wrote:Also make it so that you can select your units only once in the beginning of the game so you won't start swapping your units around in the middle of a battle. That feels like cheating. "I'll have this set of cards in my hand and he's going to do that to me with his cards. I'll just swap some cards in my hand and... there we go. I can beat him easily now."

Maybe make it so that you start with previously used unit set and if you don't want to change them, you click accept at the unit selection bar, or wherever the accept button would be. If you want to customize your unit selection, you click the customize button and select what you want and then accept. Then you hit start the battle and start fighting and are unable to change your current unit set anymore.

No.

If it's optional, I don't mind - but don't force restrictions on players.
- What can change the nature of a man?

Return to “Beta feedback”