GTB idea thread

General GTB discussion
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Re: GTB idea thread

Postby cliffski » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:33 pm

Joecairo wrote: - More props please! I'd love to see burnt-out buildings and vehicles, massive shell craters, hedges, bridges, roadsigns, water features, etc, etc. Also, a quicker way to place props would be great - maybe an option to autofill squares with a given prop type or types chosen by the map designer? Or an option to border every route with barbed wire / dragon's teeth automatically?

I agree, I'd like to add more, but it's an expensive business because a 3D artist has to model and render everything, and I'm no 3D artist, so I have to hire one. Hopefully at some point...

Joecairo wrote:CHALLENGES
- My last suggestion involves challenges. As far as I can make out, when you post a challenge from the defensive side there's no way to save your turret designs with the map. If I'm wrong, could someone tell me how to do this? And if I'm not, I'm curious why this feature isn't in the game.

Cheers!

It's technically impossible to save out a defensive playback, which is why you don't save designs either (to avoid creating an even more complex matrix of game styles and modes). Playback doesn't work as defender because you have no guarantee when a defensive slot becomes vacant due to the previous turret being destroyed. In theory there could be a game mode where defense picks from scenario units, I just feared it may over-complicate things.
Joecairo
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Joecairo » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:45 pm

It's technically impossible to save out a defensive playback, which is why you don't save designs either (to avoid creating an even more complex matrix of game styles and modes). Playback doesn't work as defender because you have no guarantee when a defensive slot becomes vacant due to the previous turret being destroyed. In theory there could be a game mode where defense picks from scenario units, I just feared it may over-complicate things.

Hey Cliff, thanks for the quick reply. I figured that was the reason why defensive designs weren't saved with maps - it would obviously be impossible to create a 'scripted' defence in the same way an attacker can. But I'm firmly in favour of allowing a defensive challenger to include their turret designs with maps. I don't think it would overcomplicate things, and it would allow people to post offensive and defensive challenges on an even playing field.

If you're worried about clarity, could it be possible to sort the challenges by whether they're posted as an attack or a defence, if there was enough support for it?
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:09 am

I definitely agree it should be in there eventually, especially because I like the idea of it being themed in some way, with consistent colors for defending units etc, plus I'd like eventually to support challenges with built-in-mods, which auto-download new units etc.
Teal_Blue
Type I Robot
Type I Robot

Postby Teal_Blue » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:53 am

:) Sounds like a lot of wonderful ideas in store for down the road. :)

I really like this title. Very nice game, alot of fun!

-Teal
Ravenclaw
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Ravenclaw » Fri May 18, 2012 6:13 pm

What i really want to see is improved customization.Remember in GSB we had those tab's and descriptions for modules?In GTB its a complete mess,so a redesign would be great.Also some better flame effects and groundshaking:D.Great Game!!!Thank you.
pboucher
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Postby pboucher » Sun May 20, 2012 7:51 pm

I much prefer the layout of customisation within this game than I did in Gratuitous Space Battles. It seems much simpler, and much more common-sense, to have a slot for each type, rather than the relative free-for-all of GSB, which led to ships without engines (which personally I found to be an exploit, and against the spirit of the game).
Each to their own, but I certainly prefer it this way!
Qwepir
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby Qwepir » Mon May 21, 2012 12:06 pm

I'd love to see a head to head map where both sides are charging across a field and meeting each other in the middle. Could be a two-way attack where both players' objective is to get to the other side, or simply a GSB style skirmish in which all the units are placed beforehand and the winner is the one with the last men standing.

That is, unless that's already one of the later levels :s
Elric_de_Melnibone
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby Elric_de_Melnibone » Tue May 22, 2012 8:23 pm

I'm just going to link this thread and say "huge tanks and multiple turrets"

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=7205
- What can change the nature of a man?
Qwepir
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby Qwepir » Wed May 23, 2012 12:06 pm

Weapon icons could be made more clear. For instance the bolt action rifle icon is a little ballistic rifle with an I in the corner, the shotgun is a II, the sniper is a III, the smg is a IV, and the assault rifle is a V (if I remember correctly). If you don't look at the stats, you might end up making the assumption that the SMG is flat out better than the Bolt Action because it appears to be in a higher tier. This works for armor, shields, engines, etc; but not weapons.

I'd suggest something like instead of having the roman numerals, the bolt action icon could have a single bullet, the shotgun have a shell casing with a few pellets in front of it, the sniper have a crosshair, SMG have 4 little stubby-looking bullets, and the Assault Rifle have 3 big pointy mean-looking bullets. Something similar could be done for vehicle-based weapons.

Edit for the short on time or reading impaired: Instead of this,
Image Image Image Image Image
I think the weapon icons should be like this
disorder
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby disorder » Sat May 26, 2012 8:59 am

1) Double gun slots!

The heavy mech and heavy tanks could have 1 armour + 1 gun + 1 multislot and in the multi slot you can have another armour or a gun. There are double barrelled guns already in the game and even tanks today have more than one weapon system. So I think 2 guns to offset the 2 armour slots would be great.

2) Also I don't think this is in the game already, but because of the infantry and mech firing arcs being smaller perhaps they should get a damage bonus, for example 1.5x for mechs and 2.0x for attacking infantry (but not defenders)

3) smaller icons for equipment and augs, more space for the stats/info pages at the bottom.

4) double click-able icons to automatically add to the 1st empty slot. (instead of drag)
Wolfe_CH
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby Wolfe_CH » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:50 am

One thing I'd like to see is an indication of when a unit's gun is no longer able to fire. Maybe changing the health meter color from green to orange, or perhaps an icon flash above the unit in place of the ammo icon? This would help immensely on defense as you'd know immediately which units need replacing. Even for attacking units I'd stop clicking them to target an enemy units if I knew it wouldn't do any good. :)

- Chris
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:31 am

disorder wrote:4) double click-able icons to automatically add to the 1st empty slot. (instead of drag)

Hey, funny, I've been mulling over whether this would be a good idea for ages, I think you are right, and I'll definitely get it added for the next patch :D
Wolfe_CH
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby Wolfe_CH » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:34 am

* Entrance arrows on the minimap might be nice.

* During setup, it would be handy to be shown (with the lightning bolt or cross symbol) which units receive command/health bonus from nearby HQs. Sometimes units seem just on the edge of in-command/out-of-command when you click on the command center to highlight its range (you then have to drop it back into the slot so it stays), so it's sometimes tough to tell.

- Chris
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:20 pm

Qwepir wrote:Edit for the short on time or reading impaired: Instead of this,
I think the weapon icons should be like this

This is excellent, I think I'll take your idea :D Thanks :D
Wolfe_CH
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby Wolfe_CH » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:57 am

* A toggle-able colored base for enemy units would be handy. Some of them (particularly the infantry, but also small grey-ish MG guns in the snow) can be real hard to see.

* And on the same subject, a gamma button would be nice for the night missions which can be real tough to see in, even with the green nightvision.

* Is there a way to tell which standard maps are used in an online challenge? I can see which ones have custom maps, but I'd like to play certain game maps, and don't see how to know what's what. Would be handy. It was also kinda scary to see 400000 listed as the duration for online challenges instead of 400. :)

- Chris

Return to “General”