GTB idea thread

General GTB discussion
peates
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Re: GTB idea thread

Postby peates » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Random Ideas;

1. Turtle action for mechs to absorb damage while other units get ignored.
2. Air strikes or call-in orbital bombardment.
3. Holographic or diversionary troops.
4. Suicide troops/mechs/trucks

Cheers,
Peates
Camedo
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Camedo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:20 pm

A few things i've noticed from playing:

I find little use for the small turrets once i've unlocked heavier turrets. In fact, I rarely use anything other then the Large Dual Ballistic and Large Dual Beam, except for the occasional range-boosted snipers to handle infantry. It'd be nice to see some more specialized turret types. Maybe a turret that has an extra augment slot but no armor?

As for defensive augments, i'd really like to see some. There's a lot of potential for building a heavily-shielded/armored turret with defensive augments just to use it as a 'tank' for sitting near the front line and distracting incoming attackers. And vice-versa, defense-boosted attackers rather then attack-boosted to try and soak fire to cover for units behind it. There might be some balance concerns, but considering your sacrificing other fantastic augments to boost defense, I think it would add a nice option.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:28 pm

Indeed, defense augments shouldn't be too hard to include.
My main use for smaller turrets is due to rapid build time. when its clsoe to endgame, and you notice some pesky mech thundering towards the finish line, sometimes there is no time to build anything big.
cederic
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby cederic » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:29 pm

One GSB feature I've missed is the ability to create half-finished designs.

A tank with no engine? Not much use. But a mech without a weapon? Suddenly it doesn't need a loader or sights, and that reduced weight means it'll sprint. Or a turret with no armour or shields. It's going to die fast, but it should deploy quicker and that might be just enough to get it out in time (much as you use small turrets). It'll also be cheaper so you could deploy 3-4 fast and deal some burst defensive damage.

--

It might be just too annoying to code, but is there scope for giving each component (including turret base) a default deployment time, and then each fully designed turret would take as long to deploy as the sum of its components. This might help balance missiles in defensive, by making them slower to deploy. It also makes a "deployment speed" augmentation useful.

--

There feels like insufficient variety at the moment. Two ways of boosting this that shouldn't be too painful
- allow 2-3 times as many augmentations. light tanks get 1, medium tanks get 2-3 depending on chassis, heavy tanks get 4-6 depending on chassis. Balance this by halving the effect (and cost) of augmentation (but allow 2 of a kind so 1.003 builds can still be made).
- reduce the number of slot types on a chassis. A heavy tank must have two armour, one loader, one weapon, an engine.. why not three engines and no armour, one armour but two loaders, or other variants?

--

I want infantry vehicles. APCs! I think that would require a change in game mechanics though. Basically a Truck with an infantry unit inside; when destroyed half of them die and the other half start running. Variants could include weapon mounts, a jeep (equiv) with tiny capacity but better speed (and weapon mount variants), etc. Give the truck 0VP and ten infantry and it's still worth 200VP if it gets to the exit, but if it fails the defender has a new issue to contend with.

Part of my concern is that infantry is currently unattractive as an attacker: You spend a lot to deploy a unit that a single turret can annihilate, and then the defender gets a 250 supply bonus. So something that helps shift the balance a little may see more infantry in play.

--

It would be great to have a game mode (or map config setting) that gives the defender 0 supply refresh but gives a supply reward for every enemy unit killed - infantry or armour/mech. That would also open the possibility of "survival" play maps, where the defender keeps going for as long as it takes the enemy to overwhelm them.

--

Can we have attack vs attack maps? Green and red start zones both leading into paths with exits. This would need path-crossing designators on the map design, but otherwise might be a reasonably easy game mode to add. Why? Why not! May not be easy to balance in the campaign but as an online option it could be fun to test two armies against each other as they traversed an area of shared ground. Ok, this is probably the weakest idea.

Hey, doing all of the above would take weeks. I don't expect to see any of it make it into the first release and wont take offence if none of it does. But thought I'd share.
Lameador
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby Lameador » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:33 pm

APC would rock : You buy this light/cheap/fast/little armed vehicle. No need for manual control.

Just have next infantry unit deployed on the same square loaded in the APC, and appear on the battlfield as soon as APC dies.
DaretoDie
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby DaretoDie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:26 pm

I want to be able to have a guy kicking a soccer/football down the road leading my attack.... or maybe bagpipes!
jabakertx
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby jabakertx » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:11 am

Infantry with short range msl like atgm or rpg would be nice
gunnyfreak
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby gunnyfreak » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:46 am

I agree with more variety, and here's some ideas (not sure if said or not) I got:

"generic" slots in addition to specific slots:
in heavier designs, allow some slots to hold any type of components as extras (so all or most of the basic components would still be there and people can customize more with an extra loader, extra engine and the like)

heavier/lighter weapons for infantry:
as is, all infantry get are rifles and other lighter weapons, the closest to a LMG is assault rifle. What if there are some expensive and heavy weapons, maybe with longer range (b/t normal weapons and snipers) and better firepower for defensive infantry and heavy hitters (things like LMG or RPG are nice, maybe gattling laser like Fallout?), on the other end of the spectrum, how about very light weapons (like pistols) for fast "rusher" infantry?

different "hulls" for infantry:
basically things like Heavy Infantry (expensive, heavy, more slots), Elite Infantry (expensive, light, more augs), Recruits (cheap, slightly heavier, fewer augs), Regulars, things like that
SOOOO........... MANY........ BUGS!!!!!!
Teal_Blue
Type I Robot
Type I Robot

Postby Teal_Blue » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:13 am

:) I like the idea of the infantry with varied hulls, and attack vs attack as mentioned above would be interesting as well. I wonder if it would be possible to consider a defender vs defender? How to implement that? Say 1 map, a blue and red army. Attack is red, Blue is defender, Top part of map has red attacking to exit right side, blue is defending. Bottom part of map Blue is attacking, red is defending, again left to right. Like map 3 in the campaign, but with attacking and defending units for each side (color).

Just some ideas, though i'm not sure the last are workable in the game, but it just seemed interesting.

-Teal
cederic
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby cederic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:36 pm

gunnyfreak wrote:things like LMG or RPG are nice

You can mod the game to enable any of the existing weapons to be used by inventory.

I just attacked with swarms of infantry using Turbolaunch Missiles. 3400 a unit to deploy and they instakill any turret or infantry unit they see. Interestingly I still nearly lost the map - they can't shoot turrets behind them and the AI did an excellent job of dropping MG turrets to shoot them from behind.
gunnyfreak
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby gunnyfreak » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:51 am

it's one thing to use it on my own...

another to have balanced and available to everyone and be expecting to see it on the other side online

(yes I already modded in infantry based rocket launcher and LMG for myself)

EDIT: another idea, seeing this is the idea thread....

can you add a way to preview online maps before downloading? I seem to remember having that before....

or is there a way and I'm just missing it?
Discohydra
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Discohydra » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:38 pm

I don't really have an idea for units specifically, EXCEPT..
Medium tanks (I think), should come with a secondary weapon slot that can only equip weapons found on light tanks, that'll go hand in hand with their primary.
Heavy tanks (In m opinion) should come with both a secondary and a tertiary weapon, the secondary weapon being able to equip a weapon from medium tanks and lighter, and the tertiary weapon only being able to be a weapon found on light tanks.

On to my non-unit specific ideas.

Perhaps there should be just an open field for combat! Just the CPU, and the player sending units at once another to combat one another until the either side's resources are exhausted. WW 1 was about attrition, after all. Perhaps there should be victory points distributed by amount of kills, or unit's time spent on the field.
Perhaps there should be a two sided attack and defense map. Where the enemy has towers, and you have towers, and both you and your enemy have the capability to attack, and whoever scores the most victory points, wins.
gunnyfreak
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby gunnyfreak » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:37 am

how about a bit more firing arc for the infantry?

IRL a squad should usually have people watching both flanks if not the back as well.... Also right now infantry aren't worth much as far as damage dealing goes
DaretoDie
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby DaretoDie » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:14 am

Apologies if this has already been raised (or is even already possible and I just haven't figured it out).

Is it possible to set a "road sign" to make all forces make a particular choice of direction until further notice? I know you can tell units which way to turn, but it would be very handy to be able to tell everyone to turn left at the next "T" until further notice.
Joecairo
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Joecairo » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:11 pm

Some random and not-so-random things on my wishlist. I've tried to divide ideas up into sections for clarity.

METAGAME
- A toggle to overlay / hide the defensive placement matrix would be very helpful for both sides. For a defender, it would allow you to plan your next move while you're building up resources. For an attacker, it would allow you to spot potential weak points in a defence and plan your route accordingly.

TURRET DESIGNS
- Greater variety would really be appreciated. Some options have already been mentioned in this thread; I'd like to add minethrowers (could come in both anti-armour & anti infantry variants), long range, slow firing artillery, stasis fields (or some way to slow down traffic), a magnet that picks up dog tags of fallen soldiers, an engineering support unit that makes turrets quicker to deploy... I'm sure there are plenty more variants, but you get the idea :)

ATTACKING DESIGNS
- Not really much to add to what's already been said. APCs are interesting, especially with the short shelf life of infantry units. I also fully support the RPG infantry idea.

MAP EDITOR
- It seems to me that it's a lot easier to create an unbalanced map than a balanced one. Running multiple replays from both sides seems to be the best way to balance maps at the moment, but that's time consuming to say the least (especially when you're only adding a turret hardpoint or two, or tweaking the supply ratio). It's probably a really big ask, but is there any way to add a subroutine that scans your map and automatically balances the supply ratio and difficulty settings? I'm not even sure if that's possible, but I fear that when the game goes fully live the challenge browser could be full of too-easy or completely impossible challenges.
- More props please! I'd love to see burnt-out buildings and vehicles, massive shell craters, hedges, bridges, roadsigns, water features, etc, etc. Also, a quicker way to place props would be great - maybe an option to autofill squares with a given prop type or types chosen by the map designer? Or an option to border every route with barbed wire / dragon's teeth automatically?

CHALLENGES
- My last suggestion involves challenges. As far as I can make out, when you post a challenge from the defensive side there's no way to save your turret designs with the map. If I'm wrong, could someone tell me how to do this? And if I'm not, I'm curious why this feature isn't in the game.

Cheers!

Return to “General”