Firing arcs - for GSB 2

You think pulse lasers should be slightly more purple? This is the forum to spread your wise words
tater
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: Firing arcs - for GSB 2

Postby tater » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Darkstar is right.

The best overall solution for weapons is to have size classes of weapons. Say there are fighters, frigates, cruisers, and dreadnoughts (a new class). Have 3 module sizes. 1-2 "unit" size for fighters, frigates might take up 4 units, cruiser slots would be 4 frigate types, or 16 "units", and dreadnoughts might take 64 units.

Each "unit" is abstracted as mass. You could design a "fighter" to carry much larger weapons, but it might be impossible to mount an engine to give it a speed better than 0.01 or something (you get the idea). Larger ships might mount a couple guns of their class size, and more guns of the next class size below (like a RL BB with 3 large turrets, a couple secondaries that might in fact be CA weapons, numerous guns (like the 5"/38 DP) that would be "main" guns on a DD, and countless AAA guns of a caliber that were in fact mounted on some aircraft (40mm, 20mm, even 0.50 cal).
Doctor Xenon
Type I Robot
Type I Robot

Postby Doctor Xenon » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:59 pm

It seems that you're using the terms "firing arc" and "area size" synonymously. I was interpreting area size to mean the same thing as weapon range, ie, the minimum and maximum range from GSB 1, and you were interpreting it to mean the same thing as firing arc, so I guess it's a form of miscommunication.
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:18 am

Doctor Xenon wrote:It seems that you're using the terms "firing arc" and "area size" synonymously. I was interpreting area size to mean the same thing as weapon range, ie, the minimum and maximum range from GSB 1, and you were interpreting it to mean the same thing as firing arc, so I guess it's a form of miscommunication.

While I will agree that there has been some miscommunication, I do not think it is over the use of the term firing arc.

From what I have seen, people have been using firing arc in the same context. No one else other than yourself has mentioned the range of the weapons.
Doctor Xenon wrote:Somewhat related, the concept of "minimum range" doesn't really make much sense to me. I don't get what's preventing the ship from firing at another one nearly point blank. The concept of maximum range vs ideal range totally makes sense, but I can't imagine a reason why they wouldn't be able to fire at an enemy because it was "too close".

In reply to this comment, Archduke Astro gave a point of view on minimum range which to my mind was a very informative and detailed description.

A few days later, raised the issue again, in my opinion somewhat vaguely and open to interpretation.
Doctor Xenon wrote:A weapon slot having either a fixed position or a limited amount of degrees seems interesting, but I'm not sure how having the area size being fixed to that slot makes any sense at all.

But since its a topic on Firing Arcs and the area of coverage for a weapon would be the product of the Weapon Range and the Firing Arc, I translated it as your were still unsure about the arc aspect since range of the weapons really should be in a separate thread for discussion.

TL;DR
If you have misgivings about the range of the weapons and/or how it might be implemented in GSB II, I strongly encourage you to start a new thread in this suggestions forum and explain WHY. Because when you explain to us your thoughts and ideas there is less chance of miscommunication.
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
-=Modding Guru & Egon Spengler of the Friendly Community Mod Squad=-
tater
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby tater » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:45 pm

The topic diverged slightly, but yes, I know what a firing arc is. It is relevant because it makes sense that the location should be what is limited in terms of arc. If there is superstructure aft (say a Star Destroyer from SW), then no gun forward can fire through it. Smaller mounts might be ON the superstructure though, so you'd be able to cover all arcs - just perhaps with smaller guns only.

Return to “Suggestions”