[=- Master Wish List -=] GSB 2.0

You think pulse lasers should be slightly more purple? This is the forum to spread your wise words
Black--snow
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Re: [=- Master Wish List -=] GSB 2.0

Postby Black--snow » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:32 pm

A Capacitor would be nice.

To elaborate: I'm talking about a power supply independent to the Ship Design power, one that fluctuates with ever fire of weapons and use of Repair drones*.

This may or may not introduce a new type of module, a capacitor power generator. It could also simply become a stat as part of the current power generators.

*Ability to use Capacitor rather than 'fuel' in a repair module. Pretty straight forward, but useful.

EDIT:

Ammunition replenishing modules. These modules will convert capacitor to ammunition. :)
flavoredpickle
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby flavoredpickle » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:58 pm

Improved collision detection.

An improved system for collision detection that allows the engine to detect the edges of a ship so that staggering uber-dreadnaughts are not rendered immune by simply being large.
if not a hardcoded thing then it could be a polygonal based system.
it would be something togglable, smaller ships such as corvettes, and destroyers, and frigates would not need to worry about this.

It could be done with an ingame editor,or typed manually by finding coordinates in a graphics editor, sort of like the hard-points of the ship. here is an example made with an overlay above the Federation fox frigate to show how it might be able to work
♫On a Thursday night i stagger with all my might. From the pubs to the bars we never Get very far. So gather round' and we will have a drink.♫
flavoredpickle
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby flavoredpickle » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:07 am

The ability to designate modded in ship classes. It would be like Modname/data/classes. the player would need to create .txt files in order to build new classes, and might have configurable settings ie.
ClassName = "Classname" The name of your new ship class
ClassEquip="Fighter/Frigate/Cruiser* Tells the game what vanilla modules that the ship can equip, on top of your modded classes, leave blank if you want it it use it's own equipment
ClassSize="Tiny/small/medium/large/huge" How large the game considers your ship. probably less useful, broadens how the engine classes targeting
ClassBehaviour="Tank/Command/Fighter/Frigate" How the Ai Driver Behaves
Cantarget="tiny/small/medium/large/huge" *this would also be quite usefull in as a weapon setting,maybe not as a ship setting*
Is a carrier="TrueFalse" Weather the ship can behave like a carrier, if false then carrier bays will not appear in selection menues
♫On a Thursday night i stagger with all my might. From the pubs to the bars we never Get very far. So gather round' and we will have a drink.♫
Joecairo
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Joecairo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:13 pm

Wish #1 would be an improved challenge UI giving players the ability to filter (rather than sort) by map, challenger name, difficulty, enemy or a combination of these.

Wish #2 would be far greater differentiation between the races, both in terms of hull bonuses and module selection.

Wish #3 would be expanding the supply limits feature to hulls, ie limiting players to X frigates, Y cruisers and Z fighters on certain maps.
dafrandle
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby dafrandle » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:03 pm

that wish 1 sounds like it would be simple to implement, there's already what can only be describe as filters for showing what was posted for you and what not
having a job has allowed me to understand why Archduke Astro has no time to work on his mods
AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby AcePalarum » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:16 pm

An idea sparked by discussions elsewhere in the forum:

Where GSB1 has just "Attack" orders for each class, how about splitting it into "Attack" for the gunner AI and "Pursue" for the driver AI? That way you can not only tell the driver to ignore those pesky fighters, you can choose whether the gunners should ignore them as well, or whether pot-shots are OK?
While my ability to succeed is finite, my capacity for failure knows no bounds.
*Basement Tinkerer and OCD Savant of the Friendly Community Mod Squad*

Mods: Matmos Rift, Antares Expanse, Great Powers Stations
Eich
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

How to improve upon GSB (to enhance GSB 2)

Postby Eich » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:04 am

Greetings,

I want to create this topic to ensure, that the upcoming GSB 2 will be the game that all of us want it to be. Therefore I want to point out, what I missed in GSB and what should most definitely be a part of GSB2. Up and foremost GSB was about customization and explosions. The explosion part was pretty much straight forward and I think I don't need to point out, that bigger explosions are better. Alas, the customization part of the game only extended to the loadout of the spaceships. To make a succesful succesor, there has to be more customization. The best way to go is (in my opinion) a kind of tech tree. My proposal is the following:

Tech-Tree

At the start of the game, you create a character. This character will be your Fleetadmiral and gathers experience during the course of the game. You will have to chose the race (or affiliation) of the Fleetadmiral. This will obviously determine which kind of ships you can build/outfit. For example if you create a Rebel Fleetadmiral, you will commandeer a Rebel fleet.
Every Fleetadmiral has a Tech-Tree. This Tech-Tree may vary from Race to Race, but this is not mandatory. Because the single most important thing is, that you cannot unlock every perk of that Tree. Much like in Diablo 2. This way you can create a unique Admiral. If you want to try a different approach, you will have to create another Fleetadmiral. Of course you can have an unlimited ammount of Fleetadmirals. They represent the "saveslot" from which you jump into your current game. I imagine such a Tech-Tree in this fasion:

char.jpg
char.jpg (121.09 KiB) Viewed 8776 times

Modules

The unlocking of new modules in GSB was kind of clunky and very counterintuitive. Because of this, I propose a seperate Tree to unlock new modules. Other than the Tech-Tree for your Fleetadmiral, you should be able to unlock every possible module. But this should take a long time, to encourage the player to tech in a fashion he finds the most beneficial. I imagined this Tree in this kind of fasion:

module.jpg
module.jpg (73.95 KiB) Viewed 8776 times

Mission Design

The whole game should center arround a Galaxy-Conquest-Mode, which was introduced to GSB kind of late . Also, there should be some custom Missions. In the likes of those with which GSB was released. But this is not that important. More important is some kind of 'Random-Encounter' or 'Quick-Battle' mode, which you can use to fight a quick battle if you don't have time to play in Galaxy-Conquest-Mode.

PS

These are the most important things I could think of at the moment. Feel free to comment on my proposals ;)

Mfg Eich
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.
ponyus
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby ponyus » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:56 am

one idea would be module customization.

ofcourse it isnt hard to make a new module by editing some text files, but what if we got something similar to the unit design in GTB where you pick components that decide what kind of weapon, how accurate, how fast it reloads, hitpoints, etc and then you save this turret and you can place them on ships.

this could extend to other modules aswell. shields where you can pick components that decides regen, hitpoints and strength.

it would add a whole new layer of customization and personalization of fleets in GSB 2.0
Gameplay Designer and balancing wizard for Gratuitous Space Battles 2

to me "gratuitous" means "awesome"

Winner of the 2011 community mod contest
dafrandle
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby dafrandle » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:42 pm

to the post above this one:
unfortunately i didn't have time to read all of it
but it looks a little too elaborate for what GSB is trying to be
having a job has allowed me to understand why Archduke Astro has no time to work on his mods
tater
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby tater » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:53 pm

I still think the biggest plus would be to have either the ability to write orders per weapon system (that it actually follows, so no attack fighters means it will NOT SHOOT AT FIGHTERS), and or the ability to have weapons that will only shoot at defined target classes (the module would say targets=frigate,cruiser, for example, and that weapon would NEVER fire at anything else.).
flavoredpickle
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby flavoredpickle » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:35 am

More a graphical thing than anything else, but allowing the muzzle flash / firing effect on a turret to be a gif, or animated in some form.
Dewit
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Dewit » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi folks. I'm new to the forum but I have played GSB a lot and am very much looking forward to the second part. Here is my wish list for GSB 2:

1. Bring the frigates back! As it stands, frigates are underused. They die fast, are relatively expensive and have no real purpose. Therefore nobody builds them. I came up with some ideas that might help to fix that issue:
  • First off, there should be done something to increase the survivability of frigates. At least they got to be faster. They really do. I dream of fully equipped frigates with two level III engines flying at speed 1.00. Maybe have some more defensive modules and stronger shields with (slightly) more resistence (1 point under fighter rocket shield penetration).
  • To address the 'too expensive' aspect: One approach could be to simply increase the prize gaps between hull sizes. There has to be a significant gap between frigate hull costs and cruiser hull costs like there is right now between fighter and frigate hull cost. For instance, say we have 4 hull sizes: Fighters – Frigates (small frigate) – Heavy Frigates (large frigate) – Cruisers. Fighters cost between 30 and 50 (as it is) per hull, frigates would cost 110 to 140, then heavy frigates anywhere from 150 to 180 while cruisers start at 250 per hull. Else, why even consider building a frigate when a cruiser is just 30 bucks more expensive? I know, I know, module cost and so on, but still!
  • Regarding the purposelessness, how about reducing the cruisers ability to fend fighters off? This could be achieved by significantly increasing the consumables/recharge rate of the Cruiser Defense Lasers and/or weakening the effects/recharge rate of cruiser tractor beams. The task of countering fighters should fall mostly to frigates or fighters. Also frigates could be more important by offering support to the fleet through other means, like electronic (indirect) warfare or repairing.
  • Of course all these have to be balanced, I'll gladly help in the beta ;). The point is to make frigates cost effective, so we see them in fleets again.

2. More support modules. A few ideas:
    Buffs:
  • Remote armor/hull repair (should have very limited range).
  • Why is there no target painter for frigates? (no offense, I am just wondering)
  • A module that increases max/optimal range on an individual ship.
    Debuffs:
  • Tracking disruption: AoE around the ship with the module equipped. Decreases tracking speed for everybody (except self, of course) within range.
  • Sensor dampening: AoE around the ship with the module equipped. Decreases enemy max weapon range/optimal range.
  • Large scale AoE EMP with friendly fire.
    Other
  • Useful invisibility. The ship also gets a speed boost while invisible. Support modules still work. It would be nice to be able to execute more sneaky tactics.
  • Shield drain: drains on enemies shield to replenish its own.
  • Linked shields (aka my take on the protective shield idea I just read about): A (maybe race/class specific) shield module which distributes incoming damage to every ship with the same module in a certain range. Maybe a common/combined shield bubble. For instance, lets say two ships with this module are within each others range, then instead of each of them having individual round shield bubbles, they have a common oval one engulfing both of them. This can be balanced by being a weaker (power/resistance) shield individually and/or by increasing the shield radius, so that the ship(s) is/are more vulnerable to fighters.

3. A unique module slot shape exclusively for engines. It always feels weird to place an armor module in a slot that according to the ship outline clearly is a engine slot. Let me be clear, I'm not proposing that engines can only be placed on certain slots, but that there should be certain slots that only allow engine modules on them. And equally important, that a ship cannot be saved without all of those slots equipped with engine modules. At least one engine should be mandatory on every damn ship (and on some like the Fed Tiger, the Alliance Shark Cruiser or the Order Temple two) because it makes sense. (other than that I dont see a need or a real reason for other unique slots as having less, more universal slot types is exactly the opposite of being limiting)

4.If the player builds a tank only ship (mass armor tank), it should be very punishing in some way (costs/efficiency). Because that is not how ships are commonly designed (for sea battle) but players exploiting game mechanics, so it should be discouraged imho. Instead just drastically buffing cruiser hull/armor/shield strength (not resistance) over the board would keep cruisers tanky and spongy while not breaking the game (they got to be tough after all).

5. Hero Class Hulls. A unique module on some ships that cannot be replaced by the player, such as a big ass gun or something. Hand in hand with this go unique hull buffs to shield regeneration, Weapon range, targeting speed etc. Note that they should have also weaknesses and be limited in how many are allowed to deploy. For instance just one cruiser or three frigates or a squadron per fleet. This means that if you have your Hyperion Battlecruiser, you cannot have the Star Fox fighter squadron in your fleet as well.

6. New weapon: Phase projectiles, basically a cruise missiles that bypass shields (but with an aweful long recharge time/ or very short range).

7. Link the max amount of fighter you can deploy to the amount of Fighter Bays on your deployed cruisers. It would kind of make sense because of logic and stuff. Also carriers are cool.

8. I like the aforementioned idea of having a ship description for every ship hull.

9. The possibility (AI order) to kite: ship is not just getting in set range but keeping that range if it is faster then it's current opponent. Mayhaps by circling the enemy ship.

Thanks for your attention. The order is intentional. Please tell me what you think!
Dewit
tater
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby tater » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:01 am

Regarding your ideas about frigates vs cruisers, I think that having orders and/or weapons that can be directed only at one kind of target, combined with things like limited ammunition weapons (possibly with reloading for fighters on their carrier), can create more varied navies.

This would allow for really nasty missiles, balanced by limited numbers of reloads. If the frigate could be relied on not to fire this torpedo (in the sense of a proper, ww2 torpedo, really) at fighters or other frigates, they can become pretty dangerous to larger ships, like WW2 DDs rushing in to clobber capital ships with torpedoes.

When all weapons have damage scaled due to infinite ammo (smallish damage), there are no "ship killer" weapons and larger ships are always better. An effective frigate-launched torpedo makes having a number of smaller craft useful, since 1 hit crippling a ship still leaves more frigates for the cost of one CA.
dafrandle
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby dafrandle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:19 pm

if we're going to go down that path of subs, why not lets make it cloak, and other ships cant shot at it, until it un cloaks
Dewit
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Dewit » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:52 pm

tater wrote:Regarding your ideas about frigates vs cruisers, I think that having orders and/or weapons that can be directed only at one kind of target, combined with things like limited ammunition weapons (possibly with reloading for fighters on their carrier), can create more varied navies.

Limited ammo for fighters makes sense and I agree.

tater wrote:When all weapons have damage scaled due to infinite ammo (smallish damage), there are no "ship killer" weapons and larger ships are always better. An effective frigate-launched torpedo makes having a number of smaller craft useful, since 1 hit crippling a ship still leaves more frigates for the cost of one CA.

However, here I disagree. Very long reloading time would have the same effect as ammo. Say, for instance an average battle lasts 5 min, then a reload time of 4 min or something would effectly be the same as one hit ammo (without the need of any coding).

But you are right that such a powerfull weapon has to be restricted in some way. Maybe making it short ranged, so the sub gets in risk of getting shot down before it can deliver the package?

dafrandle wrote:if we're going to go down that path of subs, why not lets make it cloak, and other ships cant shot at it, until it un cloaks

Yes, I like that Idea.
Well the thing is, right now ships continue attacking cloaked ships which is also an issue, cause the whole point of cloaking is to not be notice/attacked.
First we need to have an order to make sure the sub cloaks whether or not the ship is being attacked. Then that ships cannot be targeted while cloaked. Third there has to be a countermeasure to cloaking to prevent abuse.

Return to “Suggestions”