Creating Ship Designs Expansion?

You think pulse lasers should be slightly more purple? This is the forum to spread your wise words
ponyus
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Re: Creating Ship Designs Expansion?

Postby ponyus » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:44 am

i cant stop forgetting that positech is actually a company!

for me it looks more like a community...

then again, the ugly truth is that everyone has a life and they need ka$h to live that life...

[extermely dramatic face] What have become of this world!?!?! [/extermely dramatic face]
Gameplay Designer and balancing wizard for Gratuitous Space Battles 2

to me "gratuitous" means "awesome"

Winner of the 2011 community mod contest
Kemp
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Kemp » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:04 pm

Me and Wasabi of IP were throwing this idea around a while back but he moved on to something else, and I couldn't do anything other than add it to the long list of possible future GSBEdit features. I do think a mix-and-match ship builder could make some people's lives a lot easier.
GSBEdit - http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6121
Restricted Vanilla Modules - http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6230 (obsolete)
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Kemp wrote:Me and Wasabi of IP were throwing this idea around a while back but he moved on to something else, and I couldn't do anything other than add it to the long list of possible future GSBEdit features. I do think a mix-and-match ship builder could make some people's lives a lot easier.

Oh, don't get me wrong, please -- I agree fully with you guys. :) I just get wistful when I realize that an official version of such isn't going to happen. Just sayin'.
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞
Trifler
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby Trifler » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:43 am

Just gently push for it to be in GSB 2. :)
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi all.
I don't read all of the modding discussions, because there are just too many, but I thought I'd chip in on a few points.
Firstly, I agree that a ship editor that allowed visual ship design would be awesome, but it won't be added to the existing GSB game. The main reason for this is self-shadowing.
If you look at the ship hulls, you will see that a relatively neutral light source is still casting shadows on the ships. some components cast shadows on others, and the end result looks very nice. The minute you cut and paste bits of the ships as sprites, you can lose that, and you have to fiddle for ages to get it to look right. It will never, sadly look as good as a stupidly high-poly model rendered in lightwave.

However, there are possibilities for my next game to feature a lot more in the way of unit customisation. Not on the level that modders currently provide, but more than just selecting hull A or hull B.

Also, do not be 100% sure that there will not be another GSB expansion pack. I'm very seriously considering another new race. I imagine the only people who will buy another race expansion will be hardcore players and modders, but as long as it pays the art costs, I don't care. There are always very vocal people who scream at me for being evil if I release an expansion pack, but those people don't buy it anyway, so I don't see why they should stop me making stuff other people do want :D
I think it could be cool to add one more race, along the same lines as the nomads, where it's primarily new ships, rather than new modules.

Fortunately 70-80% of the work in a race-expansion is done by someone else, so it's just about viable to do it at the same time as working on the new game, which will be much more mod friendly, if all goes well. I hope the GSB community lasts long enough to still be alive when it gets released :D
Praetors
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Praetors » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:26 am

Hell yeahhhh!!! :D
PI: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5698
TP: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6928
TG: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7659

Engineer of the Friendly Community Mod Squad.
ponyus
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby ponyus » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:23 pm

my elmo is screaming of excitement!

another expansion would be very welcomme :D
Gameplay Designer and balancing wizard for Gratuitous Space Battles 2

to me "gratuitous" means "awesome"

Winner of the 2011 community mod contest
killenbigbugs
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby killenbigbugs » Sun May 20, 2012 8:03 pm

it would be great to have ship builder on steam so i can build stuff too.
KILLENBIGBUGS72
Lonestar
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Lonestar » Tue May 22, 2012 11:06 pm

On the subject of custom ship designing, Cliff. Maybe you should think about having the ability to pick the general class of the ship IE fighter frigate, cruiser then three different frames or inner works AKA the guts of the ship. Then Pick from three separate sections for the ship itself. The ship sections will ALL be self shaded and will all fit together in such a manner that it would be seamless. Yes yes this IS a TON of work and would need a Core code rewrite. Maybe something for GSB II. But I can see that working in some manner that would give more flexibility that just getting stuck with xyz ship with x hardpoints and y standard slots.
Vatraxis
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby Vatraxis » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:37 pm

It's a good idea, being able to make your own ships etc, but would it be possible to take images from outside the game and use them as templates?
"CRY HAVOC.....AND LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR" Act 3 scene 1 line 273 Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar"
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:19 pm

Lonestar wrote:On the subject of custom ship designing, Cliff. Maybe you should think about having the ability to pick the general class of the ship IE fighter frigate, cruiser then three different frames or inner works AKA the guts of the ship.

Vatraxis wrote:It's a good idea, being able to make your own ships etc, but would it be possible to take images from outside the game and use them as templates?

Well, since Cliff has made this very clear statement in the same thread--

cliffski wrote:Hi all.
I don't read all of the modding discussions, because there are just too many, but I thought I'd chip in on a few points.
Firstly, I agree that a ship editor that allowed visual ship design would be awesome, but it won't be added to the existing GSB game.

--then no, it would not be possible to do as you folks suggested. Sorry. :(
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞
Vatraxis
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby Vatraxis » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:00 pm

Very sad face ):
"CRY HAVOC.....AND LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR" Act 3 scene 1 line 273 Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar"
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:32 pm

As a suggestion, you could try the Battleships Forever - Ship Maker Sub Program.
While I have not used it - I have seen some of the results and they look quite good.
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
-=Modding Guru & Egon Spengler of the Friendly Community Mod Squad=-
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:31 pm

The whole idea of a ship-editor for GSB is something that I mull over from time to time, especially after working on Gratuitous Tank Battles. GTB had a sort of editor for units in that each unit had many variants, essentially it had options for each layer, and each individual layer could be color tinted so you could have some visual 'branding' for your tanks in a way that GSB does not.

Adding this to GSB retrospectively would be a huge, game-breaking big deal.I'm not sure the creaky old GSB code-base could really cope with it, without undertaking a pretty serious re-writing of it all.
However, that doesn't mean I'm not strongly attracted to the idea of making customizable ship designs a big part of the feature set if I was to make GSB 2.0

The more I think about it, the more it *is* actually possible (using some techniques I've perfected in GTB) to have a huge amount of unit customization whilst at the same time still having that 'photo-realistic' shadowed rendering stuff that the ships in GSB do. It wouldn't allow for anything like the flexibility you have in photoshop where you can drag anything anywhere, but if you imagine a ship like the federation puma, but broken apart into half a dozen layers, with color tints for each layer, and options, and maybe the ability to blend in a texture of your choice to them... it's all theoretically possible.

This would all be a long way off, as I am now commited to doing another game (not announced yet) which will likely swallow up at the very least the first half of 2013. That doesn't mean 2013 won't see me return to GSB though, I'd very much like to do that. And there will be a new race of GSB 1.0 ships coming anyway :D
Maethius
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby Maethius » Wed May 15, 2013 8:29 pm

Not to revive an ancient thread, but an old one. It occurs to me that a color customization system would be a nice addition to GSB2, but in thinking about how it would work I also thought of two other possibilities.

1) the "drag official parts around to create new official ships" editor could certainly work by using neutrally light-sourced rendered pieces, but realistic shading would still be possible using a similar technique to a Photoshop layer's screen drop shadow FX. Ship parts could me sorted by layers in the same way elements are in PowerPoint or any other number of programs, thus ensuring the shadows fall where they should. The user then "flattens" the ship when satisfied. Besides, many people do this with Star Trek hulls anyway... might as well make a way for the less artistically/Photoshopily inclined have some fun.

2) it would also be cool if players could add decals to their ships; official and unofficial. Players could upload alpha-channel flags, logos, even stripes and camouflage patterns. These would be dropped onto a higher layer and could be resized or scooted around the hull until it looks nice, then it could be applied to the existing ship as a color/multiply layer, masked by the ship's alpha channel. This way two fleets could meet but one ship might be stock and the other might have Punisher skulls on the bow.

Return to “Suggestions”