Elite Challenges Thread

Discussion of current challenges, tournaments, and general discussion about anything relating to the online challenges part of GSB
123stw
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: Elite Challenges Thread

Postby 123stw » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:34 pm

Well the swarm smart bomb tank with plasma will beat pretty much any missile oriented fleet..... But then they will die horribly to rush or other plasmas with beams.

Personally I like the alliance armored plasma fleet as anti long range more than the swarm one, since it can beat more fleets while sharing the same weakness.
Joecairo
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Joecairo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:38 am

123stw wrote:Well the swarm smart bomb tank with plasma will beat pretty much any missile oriented fleet..... But then they will die horribly to rush or other plasmas with beams.

Personally I like the alliance armored plasma fleet as anti long range more than the swarm one, since it can beat more fleets while sharing the same weakness.

It's possible to build a smart bomb fleet that can handle cruiser rushes if you sprinkle in some CLs...but I agree that they tend to die horribly against other plasma & beam fleets. Frigate rushes will kill them too, as rocket fighters are pretty useless with all those smart bombs going off.
Joecairo
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Joecairo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:23 am

Hmm...it seems there's a bit less interest in this thread than I predicted. Ah well, I'm going to keep posting stuff here anyway. Feel free to join in, folks - and post your own challenges if you think they're deserving.

Here's one that pretty much everyone has played but is utterly deserving of being called Elite.

Dogthinker
The Tribe has learned some lessons from the rocket riot police. Easy to beat challenge, but sparkly.
Defend Caspian IV
Tribe
12/14/09

'Easy to beat'? I wouldn't say so. Massed Utopias with a mix of missiles supported by missile frigates with EMP and a cap of painter fighters. As I recall this was one of the first challenges to really optimise the use of painters in an anti-rush setup. I've only ever beaten this challenge by using a tonne of Swarm smart bombs, although I'm sure it's beatable with a good MWM / scrambler setup.
123stw
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby 123stw » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:34 pm

Lol well the whole NEC/SAC community did kinna disappeared......
Ramcat
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Ramcat » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:37 pm

123stw wrote:Lol well the whole NEC/SAC community did kinna disappeared......

Campaign....? I thought it might kill challenge play for a while...maybe its something else?
123stw
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby 123stw » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:13 am

Who knows..... thc, follick, and ZGeneral kinna just disappeared. If they were playing the campaign I would think they have beaten it by now. Maybe they just lost interest.
lkohime
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby lkohime » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:43 am

I've been playing Campaign, although now that i have two GSB capible laptop's i'll be capible of playing Campaign, Veil AND a challenge, all at once! (Yes, i have no life :D)

I'm looking for a really good missile cruiser fleet to fight (ie, no FT or FR, just CR v CR, missiles.)
Creator of the Laser Fighter Swarm tactic for Campaign, hater of fighters
follick
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby follick » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:20 pm

Real life has intervened and I don't have much time these days for play. I expect I will come back to it sooner or later. The SAC/NEC group has always been small and it is difficult to sustain such a challenge series without at least 3-5 top players.

It has been a typical pattern for a player to get into it for a while and then lose interest and leave. dogthinker, for example, was very active early in the game but I haven't heard from him in a long time.
If you look at the players in the early SAC's most of them are gone now. If you look at the other people posting in this thread, 123stw is the oldest oldtimer and he joined the forum less than 6 months ago.
Joecairo
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Joecairo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:32 am

Yeah, it does seem like a few veterans have hung up their admiral hats for the time being. There are still a ton of challenges going up though - I wonder if half the people posting them ever read the forums though.
zGeneral
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby zGeneral » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:22 pm

follick wrote:Real life has intervened and I don't have much time these days for play. I expect I will come back to it sooner or later. The SAC/NEC group has always been small and it is difficult to sustain such a challenge series without at least 3-5 top players.

It has been a typical pattern for a player to get into it for a while and then lose interest and leave. dogthinker, for example, was very active early in the game but I haven't heard from him in a long time.
If you look at the players in the early SAC's most of them are gone now. If you look at the other people posting in this thread, 123stw is the oldest oldtimer and he joined the forum less than 6 months ago.

Hi guys

I was away for a while playing other games but I would love to come back to this one and have some SAC/NEC fun.
Do we have enough ppl for it? u can count me in ;-)

[I hope I did not lose my good skills!]
lkohime
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby lkohime » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:00 am

I for one would love to see some discussion of a new map and rule set for a new set of NEC/SAC type challenge sets. I didn't know about them when they started, and by the time i was good enough to have done one from the start, they were 50+ in. It'd be a lot of fun, so count me in!
Creator of the Laser Fighter Swarm tactic for Campaign, hater of fighters
123stw
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby 123stw » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:47 am

SAC you don't have to beat 50, you only has to beat the latest 3.

No NEC so far went beyond 20 yet.
Praetors
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: Top Challenges Thread

Postby Praetors » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Ramcat wrote:4619567
Mad_Wolf
kinder suprisses are fun
Baleur's Blood Bath
Rebels
10/08/10

400,000 credit limit and 1500 pilots -
Mad_Wolf slaves his fighters to one ship on the front - do not try to missile this fleet to death it will kill you. Rush it for the victory.

I succesful obliterated that fleet with undreds of rocket fighters, 2 dreadnoughts and some corbettes from experimental mod ;)
PI: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5698
TP: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6928
TG: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7659

Engineer of the Friendly Community Mod Squad.

Return to “Challenges and Tournaments”