NEC 4

Discussion of current challenges, tournaments, and general discussion about anything relating to the online challenges part of GSB
123stw
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: NEC 4

Postby 123stw » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:11 am

While I am fine with fleets crawling forward at < 0.05 speed, I think pure stationary fleets (and fleets that stops engaging way before their shooting range) are unfair because non engaging fleet can pigeonhole future fleets into certain trends.

I do like that whole triangle formation + decoy. It slow rushes significantly by forcing them to cluster onto a single point.
Joecairo
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Joecairo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:39 am

As a straight challenge I don't have any problems with zGeneral's setup (it's one of the better decoy setups I've seen), but it does highlight yet another problem with competitive play: who is declared the winner when two non-moving or retreating fleets meet?

Also, is anyone else having trouble playing that challenge? It was running fine for me yesterday but now I'm getting the 'this challenge is corrupt' message when I try to play it.

Finally, regarding the DLC issue, I think it should be up to the person who set up the challenge to set the ruling. I'd definitely be up for an 'Original Four' NEC or SAC if someone were to set one up... I miss seeing Alliance fleets ;-)
zGeneral
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby zGeneral » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:54 pm

OK, I will break the formation loop and make them move, the speed I have is 0.7
but I will link them to one of the cruisers at the back to keep them in the same formation, the side effect will make them move slower than normal speed.
the decoy will stay as is. will see how this goes.

will do it when I get back home. keep the NEC going, do not stop!

regarding DLCs, I will post the challenge twice, with and without DLCs. or should be just without Nomads?
Joecairo
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Joecairo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:08 pm

NEC 4-7 is up. Beats 1-6 (I tested it vs the new version of 6). I'm sure everyone will be overjoyed that it's more Swarm frigates. I feel slightly shameful for posting it, as the designs aren't exactly original. Basically I was trying to copy 123stw's fleet to get a better idea about fast frigate designs, something I've generally sucked at. Before I knew it though I had a sweeper fleet, so up it goes.
zGeneral
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby zGeneral » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:28 pm

Joecairo wrote:NEC 4-7 is up. Beats 1-6 (I tested it vs the new version of 6). I'm sure everyone will be overjoyed that it's more Swarm frigates. I feel slightly shameful for posting it, as the designs aren't exactly original. Basically I was trying to copy 123stw's fleet to get a better idea about fast frigate designs, something I've generally sucked at. Before I knew it though I had a sweeper fleet, so up it goes.

oh not you too!!!, this OP strategy is so annoying. now what should I do with 6!? I was supposed to update it which also had to beat the first firgate spam (NEC 4-5).
hmmm, lets see if I can make it beat all including ur 7 and repost it as 6!. or should we just continue with 8... (no update)...?
Ramcat
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Ramcat » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:21 pm

zGeneral wrote:regarding DLCs, I will post the challenge twice, with and without DLCs. or should be just without Nomads?

Always post *without* any of the DLC checked (except perhaps the race you are using). The reason they are checked is a bug in the game. You'll be doing everyone a favor if you uncheck them before posting a challenge (did you not know you were supposed to do that?)The game won't let you download a race you don't have, but leaving the DLC checked makes it seem like your challenge is *every* race. I do believe there is a fix comming in version 1.48 that fixes this (I thought that fix was promised in the Nomad DLC, but it did not seem to work).

cliffski wrote:There will eventually be code that will auto-assign the correct values to every challenge, even previously uploaded ones. This is on the list todo, and most of the code already exists to do it.

On another topic:

Joecairo wrote:I'd definitely be up for an 'Original Four' NEC or SAC if someone were to set one up... I miss seeing Alliance fleets ;-)

Would be awesome.

I also think an Empire/Alliance only NEC would be cool.
zGeneral
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby zGeneral » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:56 pm

ok, I have deleted previous NEC 4-6, modified it and reposted it again as "NEC 4-6 not stationary" and unchecked all DLCs except for swarms as Ramcat suggested

this one beats the same or even better and keeps on moving
Ramcat, plz check if u can access it

Joecairo, try ur frigates on it :-)
Ramcat
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Ramcat » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:39 pm

Works GREAT!!

Yup I can download and play it (so should everybody else be able to now).

Nice decoy ships into the corner (assuming corner banging is a fair tactic). It is your fighters that do me in though. Perhaps a few tweaks.....
Joecairo
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Joecairo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:50 pm

zGeneral wrote:ok, I have deleted previous NEC 4-6, modified it and reposted it again as "NEC 4-6 not stationary" and unchecked all DLCs except for swarms as Ramcat suggested

this one beats the same or even better and keeps on moving
Ramcat, plz check if u can access it

Joecairo, try ur frigates on it :-)

Nice! Those two tanks made all the difference...half my fleet got stuck in the bottom corner while your cruisers and fighters demolished the other half.

Back to the drawing board for me ;-)
123stw
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby 123stw » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:34 pm

NEC 4-8 up. Order Missiles. Pretty close to 4-6 but with armor wall.

Also, I think 4-6 can really benefit if you replace 25% of your scramblers with smart bomb.
zGeneral
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby zGeneral » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:15 pm

123stw wrote:NEC 4-8 up. Order Missiles. Pretty close to 4-6 but with armor wall.

Also, I think 4-6 can really benefit if you replace 25% of your scramblers with smart bomb.

but smart bombs destroy my missiles as well!!!

btw, can u repost, the download is corrupt!
123stw
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby 123stw » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:41 pm

Reposted

Actually you are right about that. Keep forgetting that near stationary fleet doesn't mix well with plasma.
zGeneral
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby zGeneral » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:31 am

thanks for the tip
NEC 4-9 is up
thc
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby thc » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:57 am

4-10 posted. Tribe plasma spam. Sorry, I really only know how to play tribe :D

I didn't bother testing against 4-7 because I am so tired of armor walls and long drawn out fights, so I'll take that one as my by.
zGeneral
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby zGeneral » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:20 am

thc wrote:4-10 posted. Tribe plasma spam. Sorry, I really only know how to play tribe :D

I didn't bother testing against 4-7 because I am so tired of armor walls and long drawn out fights, so I'll take that one as my by.

To my understanding - You can not skip yet. you can skip one every complete 5
so u can skip one from 1 to 5
then have to beat 6 to 9 until 10 is posted then u can skip one from 6 to 10

Return to “Challenges and Tournaments”