Page 1 of 2

Ultimate dueling fighter?

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:15 pm
by Ulzgoroth
Inspired by Gilgamesh's fighter duel challenge, I posted what I theorized was the strongest possible fighter for such a battle: Rebel Atlantis with a laser cannon, maxed out power plant and engine, and all the armor I could fit in the remaining slots.

Some people have beaten this. I'm wondering what they used? Mirror match, or is there something better out there?

Re: Ultimate dueling fighter?

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:15 am
by Hybrinoid
Ulzgoroth wrote:Inspired by Gilgamesh's fighter duel challenge, I posted what I theorized was the strongest possible fighter for such a battle: Rebel Atlantis with a laser cannon, maxed out power plant and engine, and all the armor I could fit in the remaining slots.

Some people have beaten this. I'm wondering what they used? Mirror match, or is there something better out there?



I've beaten it twice, I lost the third time. :(

Re: Ultimate dueling fighter?

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:47 am
by yurch
Fighter dueling is cyclic. A beats B beats C beats A and so on.

I beat the last one I saw with a very fast laser fighter and an armored double-laser design. Those designs might be beatable with pulse lasers, which in turn would have trouble penetrating armor.

When it comes to squad-on-squad, rocket/painter designs are another alternative.

Re: Ultimate dueling fighter?

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:58 am
by follick
I posted a response. A similar design but faster that beats Ulzgoroth's consistently.

Re: Ultimate dueling fighter?

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:35 pm
by Hybrinoid
follick wrote:I posted a response. A similar design but faster that beats Ulzgoroth's consistently.

I'll find it and beat it :P


EDIT: I beat it twice, no losses.



I will not reveal my fighter design...

Re: Ultimate dueling fighter?

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:00 pm
by Green Glue
Hybrinoid wrote:
follick wrote:I posted a response. A similar design but faster that beats Ulzgoroth's consistently.

I'll find it and beat it :P


EDIT: I beat it twice, no losses.



I will not reveal my fighter design...

Can you post a challange with it?

Re: Ultimate dueling fighter?

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:27 am
by Hybrinoid
so is anyone else going to start up a challenge like this? I love fighter vs. fighter battles :D

Re: Ultimate dueling fighter?

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:21 am
by Pandarsenic
yurch wrote:Fighter dueling is cyclic. A beats B beats C beats A and so on.

I beat the last one I saw with a very fast laser fighter and an armored double-laser design. Those designs might be beatable with pulse lasers, which in turn would have trouble penetrating armor.

When it comes to squad-on-squad, rocket/painter designs are another alternative.


This.

We retaliated with each other several times until I realized I had beaten his last fighter with a design I'd used earlier.

Re: Ultimate dueling fighter?

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:35 pm
by Berny_74
I've dabbled quite a bit with fighter designs but always fall into a singular pattern. Laser, Engine, Powerplant. Mixed to get the best speed with the least $$.

I've fooled around with rocket fighters - and yes they are fast (the only real defense a fighter has) but the accuracy is not the greatest against fighters. For cruisers I still like a fighter with lasers, just shoot under the hull. Torpedos are nice and sexy and so slow that they get picked off by anything so it's not like they get much of a chance after the first salvo. If they even make it.

What I would find usefull would be an added order for a rally point. Make it a ship or something, Fighter's fly to target - salvo rocket's/torpedos and retreat back to rally ship and then go forth again. For rocket fighters, they are fast enough that enemy fighters would have problems keeping up with them, and for torpedo fighters it might keep them from getting stuck in a melee that they have no right to be in.

My opinion.

Berny

Re: Ultimate dueling fighter?

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:24 am
by gunnyfreak
here's an idea...

a fighter duel ladder challenge

so basically like SAC, except with one fighter

worth considering?

Re: Ultimate dueling fighter?

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:33 am
by follick
With a single fighter I think it would cycle within half a dozen challenges. I think a more interesting approach would be to have a SAC challenge on a fighter friendly map. Perhaps 160 pilots and 16000 budget.

Re: Ultimate dueling fighter?

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:33 am
by Hunter 1
follick wrote:With a single fighter I think it would cycle within half a dozen challenges. I think a more interesting approach would be to have a SAC challenge on a fighter friendly map. Perhaps 160 pilots and 16000 budget.


You're kidding, rig... Oh wait, that's 100 a pilot, not 1000 a pilot...

Re: Ultimate dueling fighter?

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:09 am
by Kdansky
follick wrote:With a single fighter I think it would cycle within half a dozen challenges. I think a more interesting approach would be to have a SAC challenge on a fighter friendly map. Perhaps 160 pilots and 16000 budget.


Isn't SAC-1 300/30k, therefore exactly the same? Most of the SACs are full of fighters anyway, with a lot of "hide a cruiser in the corner while my fighters attack you" tricks.

Re: Ultimate dueling fighter?

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:35 pm
by follick
Kdansky wrote:Isn't SAC-1 300/30k, therefore exactly the same? Most of the SACs are full of fighters anyway, with a lot of "hide a cruiser in the corner while my fighters attack you" tricks.

SAC-1 is 150/30K so this would be even more fighter intensive and 160 pilots makes a nice even 10 squadrons. It would be more interesting in my opinion than a single fighter challenge. Fighter dynamics change with the number of fighters.

Also, I think I invented hide a cruiser in the corner while my fighters attack you as a trick. :)

Re: Ultimate dueling fighter?

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:17 pm
by Kdansky
Congratulations on inventing that tactic. I strongly believe it is too good and needs some sort of fix (possibly fighters are just too hard to kill?) ;)