Ultimate dueling fighter?

Discussion of current challenges, tournaments, and general discussion about anything relating to the online challenges part of GSB
Tokimo
Type I Robot
Type I Robot

Re: Ultimate dueling fighter?

Postby Tokimo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:14 pm

Am I the only one who's noticed that if you put a level 1 or 2 engine on a fighter you can get it faster than if you'd put a level 3 engine but had to use a powerplant?

Most of the time when I build fighters I don't bother giving them powerplants anymore because by leaving empty slots I can get a fighter than posts 2-4 on speed. If I add a power plant I drop the speed down a lot sometimes.

Try out the fighters I've posted in 4602061, 4602081, and 4602068 (two swarm and one order design)
zGeneral
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby zGeneral » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:06 pm

Rocks and Tracers mix are the best.
for the past few days I have been experimenting with many fighter combinations and received a series of 30+ retaliations. the result was Rebel+Rocks+Tracers+!armor! is the best answer.
then the trick comes from the tools and how u program to fighters to fight!
the latest challenge I have (4609153) for 3x fighters has beaten all 30+ retaliation with the same fleet setup.
RCIX
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby RCIX » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:02 am

Tokimo wrote:Am I the only one who's noticed that if you put a level 1 or 2 engine on a fighter you can get it faster than if you'd put a level 3 engine but had to use a powerplant?

Most of the time when I build fighters I don't bother giving them powerplants anymore because by leaving empty slots I can get a fighter than posts 2-4 on speed. If I add a power plant I drop the speed down a lot sometimes.

Try out the fighters I've posted in 4602061, 4602081, and 4602068 (two swarm and one order design)

Depends. You can do even faster fighters if you can do a powerplant and a couple or 3 engine 3s though.
"Shields up, red alert!" -- Commander William Riker, numerous occasions
"does the concept of 'overkill' mean anything to anyone?" -- Colonel Jack O'Neill, Stargate SG-1
123stw
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby 123stw » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:22 am

Post reported.
sublight
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby sublight » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:20 pm

Tokimo wrote:Am I the only one who's noticed that if you put a level 1 or 2 engine on a fighter you can get it faster than if you'd put a level 3 engine but had to use a powerplant?

True, but that only works for rocket fighters. Anything with lazers generally has to use a powerplant anyway, so using an even bigger power plant with an L3 engine seems to give me the fastest lazer fighter speeds.

Also, fighter battles, while entertaining to watch, often look the same: a big cloudy furball of many little fighters.
As a variation to add in the fighter-repair aspect I created a carrier-battle map named 'Midway' 201/22000 that uses supply limits on engines to create a 2-cruiser cap. (Challenge 4659256) So far it's had only 6 attempts but no victory or feedback so uncertain how it works out.
Entropy
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Entropy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:34 am

I will make note of the challenge number you mentioned, and will try your Midway scenario the next time I get a chance!
Lonestar
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Lonestar » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:42 am

Would you be upset if I was to try it with a Eagle Super-carrier that Darkstar had made for me? I would like to attempt it and see what heck i can unless on it. with JUST cruisers and fighters...

Return to “Challenges and Tournaments”