Ultimate dueling fighter?

Discussion of current challenges, tournaments, and general discussion about anything relating to the online challenges part of GSB
Ulzgoroth
Line Manager
Line Manager

Ultimate dueling fighter?

Postby Ulzgoroth » Sun May 09, 2010 11:15 pm

Inspired by Gilgamesh's fighter duel challenge, I posted what I theorized was the strongest possible fighter for such a battle: Rebel Atlantis with a laser cannon, maxed out power plant and engine, and all the armor I could fit in the remaining slots.

Some people have beaten this. I'm wondering what they used? Mirror match, or is there something better out there?
Hybrinoid
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: Ultimate dueling fighter?

Postby Hybrinoid » Mon May 10, 2010 12:15 am

Ulzgoroth wrote:Inspired by Gilgamesh's fighter duel challenge, I posted what I theorized was the strongest possible fighter for such a battle: Rebel Atlantis with a laser cannon, maxed out power plant and engine, and all the armor I could fit in the remaining slots.

Some people have beaten this. I'm wondering what they used? Mirror match, or is there something better out there?

I've beaten it twice, I lost the third time. :(
My Gratuitous Youtube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/hybrinoid
yurch
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby yurch » Mon May 10, 2010 2:47 am

Fighter dueling is cyclic. A beats B beats C beats A and so on.

I beat the last one I saw with a very fast laser fighter and an armored double-laser design. Those designs might be beatable with pulse lasers, which in turn would have trouble penetrating armor.

When it comes to squad-on-squad, rocket/painter designs are another alternative.
follick
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby follick » Mon May 10, 2010 2:58 am

I posted a response. A similar design but faster that beats Ulzgoroth's consistently.
Hybrinoid
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Hybrinoid » Mon May 10, 2010 1:35 pm

follick wrote:I posted a response. A similar design but faster that beats Ulzgoroth's consistently.

I'll find it and beat it :P

EDIT: I beat it twice, no losses.

I will not reveal my fighter design...
Green Glue
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Green Glue » Fri May 14, 2010 8:00 pm

Hybrinoid wrote:
follick wrote:I posted a response. A similar design but faster that beats Ulzgoroth's consistently.

I'll find it and beat it :P

EDIT: I beat it twice, no losses.

I will not reveal my fighter design...

Can you post a challange with it?
Hybrinoid
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Hybrinoid » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:27 am

so is anyone else going to start up a challenge like this? I love fighter vs. fighter battles :D
Pandarsenic
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Pandarsenic » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:21 am

yurch wrote:Fighter dueling is cyclic. A beats B beats C beats A and so on.

I beat the last one I saw with a very fast laser fighter and an armored double-laser design. Those designs might be beatable with pulse lasers, which in turn would have trouble penetrating armor.

When it comes to squad-on-squad, rocket/painter designs are another alternative.

This.

We retaliated with each other several times until I realized I had beaten his last fighter with a design I'd used earlier.
Berny_74
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Berny_74 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:35 pm

I've dabbled quite a bit with fighter designs but always fall into a singular pattern. Laser, Engine, Powerplant. Mixed to get the best speed with the least $$.

I've fooled around with rocket fighters - and yes they are fast (the only real defense a fighter has) but the accuracy is not the greatest against fighters. For cruisers I still like a fighter with lasers, just shoot under the hull. Torpedos are nice and sexy and so slow that they get picked off by anything so it's not like they get much of a chance after the first salvo. If they even make it.

What I would find usefull would be an added order for a rally point. Make it a ship or something, Fighter's fly to target - salvo rocket's/torpedos and retreat back to rally ship and then go forth again. For rocket fighters, they are fast enough that enemy fighters would have problems keeping up with them, and for torpedo fighters it might keep them from getting stuck in a melee that they have no right to be in.

My opinion.

Berny
gunnyfreak
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby gunnyfreak » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:24 am

here's an idea...

a fighter duel ladder challenge

so basically like SAC, except with one fighter

worth considering?
SOOOO........... MANY........ BUGS!!!!!!
follick
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby follick » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:33 am

With a single fighter I think it would cycle within half a dozen challenges. I think a more interesting approach would be to have a SAC challenge on a fighter friendly map. Perhaps 160 pilots and 16000 budget.
Hunter 1
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby Hunter 1 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:33 am

follick wrote:With a single fighter I think it would cycle within half a dozen challenges. I think a more interesting approach would be to have a SAC challenge on a fighter friendly map. Perhaps 160 pilots and 16000 budget.

You're kidding, rig... Oh wait, that's 100 a pilot, not 1000 a pilot...
Kdansky
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby Kdansky » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:09 am

follick wrote:With a single fighter I think it would cycle within half a dozen challenges. I think a more interesting approach would be to have a SAC challenge on a fighter friendly map. Perhaps 160 pilots and 16000 budget.

Isn't SAC-1 300/30k, therefore exactly the same? Most of the SACs are full of fighters anyway, with a lot of "hide a cruiser in the corner while my fighters attack you" tricks.
follick
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby follick » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:35 pm

Kdansky wrote:Isn't SAC-1 300/30k, therefore exactly the same? Most of the SACs are full of fighters anyway, with a lot of "hide a cruiser in the corner while my fighters attack you" tricks.

SAC-1 is 150/30K so this would be even more fighter intensive and 160 pilots makes a nice even 10 squadrons. It would be more interesting in my opinion than a single fighter challenge. Fighter dynamics change with the number of fighters.

Also, I think I invented hide a cruiser in the corner while my fighters attack you as a trick. :)
Kdansky
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby Kdansky » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:17 pm

Congratulations on inventing that tactic. I strongly believe it is too good and needs some sort of fix (possibly fighters are just too hard to kill?) ;)

Return to “Challenges and Tournaments”