What do you look for in a challenge?

Discussion of current challenges, tournaments, and general discussion about anything relating to the online challenges part of GSB
outlander78
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

What do you look for in a challenge?

Postby outlander78 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:17 pm

Lately I have been building moderately challenging fleets, with a focus on diversity rather than strategy or fire-power. What I am trying to do is field fleets that are fun as opposing forces - no spam and a reasonable variety of weaponry, ship types and orders. This is what I want in a challenge - a fun battle, as opposed to a large number of a single type of craft.

What do you look for? Do you want a highly-challenging scenario, one that is pretty to look at as the ships explode (not yours)?
AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: What do you look for in a challenge?

Postby AcePalarum » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:18 pm

Please stop reading my mind. You could get hurt in there. :)

This is exactly what I want in a challenge - fun. There is something very depressing (for me) about loading up a challenge that looks good and varied, only to find that when the shooting starts there's nothing over there but missiles. Another spam fleet in disguise. Ew.

Don't get me wrong, I like a little bit of challenge, but more on the level of adjusting engagement ranges, deployment configurations, swapping out an AA ship here for a missile cruiser there, concentrating or dispersing short-range frigates, that sort of thing.

(The opinions expressed in this post belong solely to Ace Palarum and are not intended to reflect the opinions of other forum posters. Please take no offense. No similarity to other opinions, real or fictitious, is intended.)
While my ability to succeed is finite, my capacity for failure knows no bounds.
*Basement Tinkerer and OCD Savant of the Friendly Community Mod Squad*

Mods: Matmos Rift, Antares Expanse, Great Powers Stations
yurch
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby yurch » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:29 pm

Large numbers of the same thing are generally pretty easy anyway.

One thing that's starting to grate on me are the custom challenge maps just for the sake of being custom.

Usually when I'm cruising the newest challenge list I'm looking to try out a fleet type or philosophy, and that means I have fleets on file. A legion of maps called "custom map" means I can't reliably load/save fleets through the interface, which means I have to set a fleet up all over again each and every time.

I mean, I get that sometimes people want to play without fighters or something, but half the time it's just Conquering Chiarn Prime all over again with slightly different starting costs.

The main thing that gets me to click on a challenge though, is a pulse. Does the challenge actually have a name, without being repeated six times on the list?
follick
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby follick » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:37 am

I like to play a challenge that shows me something new, a novel strategy or design that I can learn from in order to create even better fleets. I've learned a lot from some challenges.
Jukelo
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Jukelo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:49 am

I don't care much about how challenging a challenge is (strange eh). It's all about the big explosions. I bought gratuitous space battles, not Space Spreadsheet.
outlander78
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby outlander78 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:48 pm

Jukelo wrote:I don't care much about how challenging a challenge is (strange eh). It's all about the big explosions. I bought gratuitous space battles, not Space Spreadsheet.

That is a great quote. :)
Spooky2
Type I Robot
Type I Robot

Postby Spooky2 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:16 am

I'm a mix of Yurch and Follick's replies.

I always look for a named challenge, not a spammed generic taunt one. I also like to see new strategies for fleets and/or ship designs to learn how to improve my own. I've discovered a lot of interesting tactics and builds from other challenges.
Xelek
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Xelek » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:11 pm

Pretty much agree with the OP.

I like to post varied challenges, sometimes trying for themes, sometimes for truly challenging fights, and sometimes just trying to make something fun to work with. For instance, I loved trying to get as much honor as possible in the "campaign" by trying over and over again with different strategies how I can win with the least amount of ressources...

...and people retaliate with spam challenges. Then I spam back, and if doesn't work then I just design a counter and usually win on the second or third try, but it's so boring. I'm about to just ignore/delete spam retaliations.

Send me some interesting mixes, perhaps with interesting restrictions, then it's all glorious fun to watch everything explode..!
AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby AcePalarum » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:44 pm

Xelek wrote:... I'm about to just ignore/delete spam retaliations..

I hear you. I will play any retaliation once in the spirit of fair play, but as soon as I realize "Oh ... wall of cruiser missile spam" my interest immediately wanes. I may let the scenario play out, I may not, but I most likely won't retaliate, and I definitely will delete the challenge as soon as I'm done. No point in keeping it around if I'm not enjoying it, right?
While my ability to succeed is finite, my capacity for failure knows no bounds.
*Basement Tinkerer and OCD Savant of the Friendly Community Mod Squad*

Mods: Matmos Rift, Antares Expanse, Great Powers Stations
gunnyfreak
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby gunnyfreak » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:40 am

i personally enjoy small fleet skirmishes, i have a few challenges up with like 10 pilots and 14k budget, not a lot of room for spam there :D
SOOOO........... MANY........ BUGS!!!!!!
Slare
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Slare » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:50 am

I have posted a couple "Limited" challenges this week....essentially a limited budget engagement with a limited amount of weapons/armor/engines + an engine requirement for all ships.

The goal was to ecourage creativity with these restrictions, and also sort of passively enforce a well balanced fleet and avoid spam. The engine restrictions in particular are the main way most fleets will end up with something like a 1:2:4 ratio of CRU:FRG:FIG, sort of like a "real" fleet almost.

The original challenge had no armor restrictions, and someone came up with a novel idea (to me at least), "armor spam", something I had never even cosidered. Essentially there were just barely enough weapons allowed in the game to overcome the amount of armor used on one cruiser. Add in a couple wings of heavily armored high DPS frigates,some DPS cruisers, and some interesting tactics and formation, it was a tough fight for me to win.

The newer limited challenge has armor restictions now too. So you can still have one uber-tank, but the rest of the fleet is gonna be toast most likely. The budgets are increased as well, because with the lower budgets, fleets were still "spammy" when compared to the low number of hulls. With more $$ come more hulls and thus more variety so that ships have their slots filled with *something* useful.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy. Thoughts on improvements are alwsy welcome...
Berny_74
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Berny_74 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:34 am

Slare wrote:I have posted a couple "Limited" challenges this week....essentially a limited budget engagement with a limited amount of weapons/armor/engines + an engine requirement for all ships.

I tend to skip challenges with lots of limits. I find they are a hastle because most of my ships have to be completely redone. I like keeping a fairly limited stock of designs that I just pick and chose from - I don't like tailoring a ship to a specific challenge that will never be used again.

Berny
123stw
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby 123stw » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:34 am

I like to lose when playing a challenge, spam or mix. If it takes me more than 3 tries to beat I will be happy. I also like small maps like Defending Sirius.
Tokimo
Type I Robot
Type I Robot

Postby Tokimo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:30 am

I look for people who aren't using federation. The game starts you on fed and some people, including myself, have gotten used to building fed ships. But I'm sick of seeing fed.
Pandarsenic
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Pandarsenic » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:11 am

I look for people who don't leave the fukken Order box checked when they aren't using it.

Return to “Challenges and Tournaments”