It's time to SAC up

Discussion of current challenges, tournaments, and general discussion about anything relating to the online challenges part of GSB
mrblitz
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: It's time to SAC up

Postby mrblitz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:58 am

follick, i played the sac sweeper and managed to beat it a couple of times. In the last victory, the score was down to 11:11, and ended at 10:10, with my side in the green for the victory. I'd never seen a battle like that before. The other time I beat it, it was 13-10; so the challenge is very tough.

It appears as though this scenario displays state-of-the-art tactics.

Kudos on 'SAC Sweeper.'
mrblitz
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby mrblitz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:08 pm

Uploaded is 'SAC-1 48 Tribal Fleet' (renamed 'Frigate Experiment'). See what you think.

It beat the Mighty SAC Sweeper, Feathered Fury, #27 (the one which had beaten everything previous), and #42 ('coward missile fleet'). It also beat #34 (attuned to Tribe), and 'Empire Gets Desperate.'

It's beaten everything it's been tested against so far; but it's only been tested against the above handful of scenarios.

edit: It just lost to #33 (another Tribe fleet). So, it's been renamed to 'SAC-1 Frigate Experiment ... pretty good but not undefeated.'
yurch
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby yurch » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:20 pm

Just like cruisers, equally ranged frigates can be beaten by investing less in engines and more in weapons, defenses, or greater numbers. Slow frigates are in turn wrecked by cruisers, the dynamic we're partly discussing here.

I'm of the opinion that the 50% shield/armor penalty hits tribe frigates especially hard, making frigate warfare one of the few places tribe has a slight disadvantage in.

The fed fleet I've been working on recently but never got around to posting (sorry for the thousands of attempt messages!) has a small core of cruisers surrounded by a vicious picket formation of frigates. Combined with even minor rocket fighter support, it seems like a competent anti-frigate measure - previous means of fighting frigates just don't have enough granularity.

I may post it next, but it'll never be a SAC sweeper. It's difficult to get it to beat basic heavy CL/Beam spam (particularly tribe) without laser fighters or other concessions.
mrblitz
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby mrblitz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:23 pm

I've been getting pretty good results with the Tribe's frigate repair module. The repair modules seem to carry the battle in certain situations; and in other situations, don't appear to matter at all.

It appears that one of the easiest counters to these Tribe frigates is massed rocket fighters. These frigates are actually self-repairing against a limited number of rocket fighters; but when the rocket fighters are massed, the frigate repair modules don't appear to make any difference; frigates get chewed.

This particular challenge (updated) has gone 15-3 so far in a random sampling against other SAC-1 challenges.
Bluebreaker
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Bluebreaker » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:20 am

SAC-48 up.
Just some slow armoured frigates.

Easy to beat.
Wild performances against 46, range from 30-65% in the three tests.
yurch
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby yurch » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:33 am

The missile immune fighters are cute. Must cost a fortune, though.

49 is up. Ran it backwards from 48, luck runs out at 35.
follick
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby follick » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:28 am

SAC-50 is up
follick
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby follick » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:46 pm

Yurch, why don't you post your nerf Empire challenge as a numbered SAC challenge? It looks to me like it would probably sweep. The only thing I can find that beats it so far is straight Multi-Warhead Missle Spam.
yurch
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby yurch » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:55 pm

follick wrote:Yurch, why don't you post your nerf Empire challenge as a numbered SAC challenge? It looks to me like it would probably sweep. The only thing I can find that beats it so far is straight Multi-Warhead Missle Spam.
I think it does sweep, or at least I haven't found a single numbered SAC that beats it yet.

That doesn't make it fair, however. I think the obscene stats on the booster module are either gross oversight or error, chances are it'll get changed shortly. Wouldn't make sense to put in in SAC right now either way - I just posted it on that map for ease of testing.

It really is insane. 18 modules with 45 rate recharge each, means an 810 recharge on a fleet-wide communal shield. From the challenge you sent me, I'm watching ships eat so many multiwarhead missiles that they're flying backwards from the force.
yurch
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby yurch » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:24 am

It looks like there's been a price change or something in the patch, the aforementioned fleet is no longer legal. Although it doesn't seem to have changed much...

I'll try to get it back up.
follick
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby follick » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:58 am

I think the best way to fix this would be to drastically lower the range of the shield beam down to around 100 or so. This would allow it to be used but would prevent massive fleetwide shield banks that are almost unbeatable. I'll repost this as a suggestion in the Suggestion forum.
mrblitz
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby mrblitz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:19 am

I've uploaded SAC-1-52 and SAC-1-53.
yurch
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby yurch » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:32 pm

Just a heads up - as what I presume was a result of the last server move, all SAC's prior to 30 are no longer visible.
Berny_74
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Berny_74 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:00 pm

yurch wrote:Just a heads up - as what I presume was a result of the last server move, all SAC's prior to 30 are no longer visible.

Time for a new SAC?

Berny
follick
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby follick » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:27 am

yurch wrote:Just a heads up - as what I presume was a result of the last server move, all SAC's prior to 30 are no longer visible.

I have them and can email them to whoever needs them.

Berny_74 wrote:Time for a new SAC?

What would you suggest?

Return to “Challenges and Tournaments”