Milestones, Teasers and Trailers.

Welcome to the shipyards. Here you can discuss how to re-calibrate the positronic neutron flow to double power to the aft shields. Or you can discuss how to add new ships, new maps, new scenarios, new modules, etc. have fun!
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Milestones, Teasers and Trailers.

Postby darkstar076 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:58 am

Normally when someone reaches a milestone in their number of posts they usually post something extra ordinary or in rare cases extraordinary. Unfortunately the project I am working on is nowhere near complete for my 2000th post.

So until such time as the project is complete, I will just post this teaser image of something I am working on as my milestone post ;)

And since the forum has been somewhat quiet in the modding area, feel free to post any teaser images of GSB mods you are working on below.
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
-=Modding Guru & Egon Spengler of the Friendly Community Mod Squad=-
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Re: Milestones, Teasers and Trailers.

Postby Archduke Astro » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:55 pm

darkstar076 wrote:Normally when someone reaches a milestone in their number of posts they usually post something extra ordinary or in rare cases extraordinary. Unfortunately the project I am working on is nowhere near complete for my 2000th post.

Darkstar, I'm confident that what you're working on is going to knock us out with sheer brilliance -- BAM! :D Your work never disappoints us.

Those animations are awesome! This must have taken a lot of time to accomplish. I find the muzzle-flash of the bottom-right turret to be especially cool. One wonders what all of these fascinating (and quite different from one another) turrets are going to be attached to, and what they're intended to fight against. The level of detail here is therefore ominous as well as impressive.

And thank you for all of the help you provide to the player community of this great game. I remember long ago when yours was still a new voice around here...thanks for "going the distance". ;) May your next 2,000 posts be as good as the first 2k !

darkstar076 wrote:And since the forum has been somewhat quiet in the modding area, feel free to post any teaser images of GSB mods you are working on below.

Hhmmmmm... I have to figure out a way to create a teaser of my own WIP, without giving away too much info in the process. Good inspiration here, though!
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞
AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby AcePalarum » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:22 pm

That, my good sir, is just too cool for words. I commend you!

Sadly such wonderment is beyond my skill level, but I may take up your challenge. The question then becomes which of the fledgling/in-process/nearly-complete mod projects on my desk or in my head do I toss out there? Hmmm...
While my ability to succeed is finite, my capacity for failure knows no bounds.
*Basement Tinkerer and OCD Savant of the Friendly Community Mod Squad*

Mods: Matmos Rift, Antares Expanse, Great Powers Stations
Praetors
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Praetors » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:26 am

Woah 2k posts, Congrats sir!

It has been a pleasure to read and enjoy every one of your sharings, in fact, it has been a pleasure to read all of you guys!
Thank you very much Darkstar for all the help you gave us, the efforts invested in us and all of that awesome stuff you shared to us! Even more, many of us have the pleasure to call you Master! Since you teached, guided us in to the great experience that is modding Gratuitous Space Battles.
For all of that, and many more things i'm surely missing, Thank you Sir!
PI: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5698
TP: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6928
TG: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7659

Engineer of the Friendly Community Mod Squad.
dafrandle
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby dafrandle » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:44 pm

what is the minigun or whatever its called (in the bottom left) supposed to fire, because and it just a small gripe, i don't think the muzzle burst should not cover all 4 barles, just the one.
just my opinion

oh and by the way, you should do more gifs its hard to fully appreciate the animations in the heat of battle
having a job has allowed me to understand why Archduke Astro has no time to work on his mods
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:30 am

Archduke Astro wrote:Darkstar, I'm confident that what you're working on is going to knock us out with sheer brilliance -- BAM! :D Your work never disappoints us.

Those animations are awesome! This must have taken a lot of time to accomplish. I find the muzzle-flash of the bottom-right turret to be especially cool. One wonders what all of these fascinating (and quite different from one another) turrets are going to be attached to, and what they're intended to fight against. The level of detail here is therefore ominous as well as impressive.

Thanks Chief - I hope I will not disappoint.

Surprisingly the animations did not take all that long. Most of the graphical assets you see there are from the game. I just made them move ;)

Archduke Astro wrote:And thank you for all of the help you provide to the player community of this great game. I remember long ago when yours was still a new voice around here...thanks for "going the distance". ;) May your next 2,000 posts be as good as the first 2k !

I have the community to thank for that. If this place was as hostile as some other areas I have seen in my travels - I would not have hung around this long. As far as I am concerned, this is the best community I have had the privilege to be part of - Bar None.

Archduke Astro wrote:Hhmmmmm... I have to figure out a way to create a teaser of my own WIP, without giving away too much info in the process. Good inspiration here, though!

I have pondered that myself . . I think an impressionist image would be rather appropriate.

AcePalarum wrote:That, my good sir, is just too cool for words. I commend you!
Sadly such wonderment is beyond my skill level, but I may take up your challenge.

Spacedust - From the mods you have created, this would be a trifle matter for you !

AcePalarum wrote: The question then becomes which of the fledgling/in-process/nearly-complete mod projects on my desk or in my head do I toss out there? Hmmm...

The answer to that is easy - ALL OF THEM !

The main reason why this post exists is to show people that the modding community is still working behind the scenes with the scant free time we have had.

Praetors wrote:Woah 2k posts, Congrats sir!

Praetors wrote:It has been a pleasure to read and enjoy every one of your sharings, in fact, it has been a pleasure to read all of you guys!

Likewise :) . . . Except for:
- when I was making you those turrets ( what was a request for 5 turrets became 55)
- and those ships (Between you and Bentusi - it was a challange keeping pace)
- and the weapon effects (Trying to decipher Big Badass Beam into a graphical made my head hurt)
- and the balancing and the community modding contests (you woke me up at 2am just to count the votes !)
- and yes I am joking

Praetors wrote:Thank you very much Darkstar for all the help you gave us, the efforts invested in us and all of that awesome stuff you shared to us! Even more, many of us have the pleasure to call you Master! Since you teached, guided us in to the great experience that is modding Gratuitous Space Battles.
For all of that, and many more things i'm surely missing, Thank you Sir!

You are most welcome Praetors - it was great to work with and (believe it or not) it was beneficial as well. The tools and tricks i learned when working on the Community Mod with you have proven very useful today as I work on this project.
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby AcePalarum » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:34 pm

Here's a quickie teaser of an idea I've had for awhile:

And an animated one for a project of entirely grander scope (What kind of monstrosity are those ships flying over?):

darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:09 am

AcePalarum wrote:
And an animated one for a project of entirely grander scope (What kind of monstrosity are those ships flying over?):

Once thing is for certain - that's no moon

Awesome Teaser :)
Maethius
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby Maethius » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:08 pm

... It's a space station!
AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby AcePalarum » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:31 pm

darkstar076 wrote:Once thing is for certain - that's no moon

No. No it is most certainly not. :)

Maethius wrote:... It's a space station!

Not exactly that either. It is most definitely evil, nasty and powerful though. No planet-killing superlaser, but perhaps the next best thing. Mwah hah hah.

Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:10 am

AcePalarum wrote:And an animated one for a project of entirely grander scope (What kind of monstrosity are those ships flying over?):

Wow. Ace, when it comes to suspense, you've given us an abundance of that! ;) I look forward to more of this, whenever you choose to share more clues with us.

AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby AcePalarum » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:31 am

If a picture is worth a thousand words, moving pictures have got to be worth even more...

darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:40 am

Ooooh, Very Shiny !
I look forward to see how you put these ships into the game :)

Question: (So long as it doesn't spoil anything)
- Are they pure energy beings ?
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:36 am

AcePalarum wrote:If a picture is worth a thousand words, moving pictures have got to be worth even more...

Sweet "retro-future"-looking ships, Ace! :D Those neon wire-frame hulls summon up quite a lot of nostalgia for me.

I now have a fierce craving to match skills against Tempest again. [-fond sigh-] When that game was new and I was first climbing up the high-score ladder on it, quite a few GSB players' parents had not even met each other yet. I hardly thought anyone could create a GSB mod capable of transporting me back across time to the Incredibly Futuristic Year Of 1981, but... ;)

That is a most eye-catching teaser for your Neonite mod! Thanks for sharing it with us.

AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby AcePalarum » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:43 pm

darkstar076 wrote:Ooooh, Very Shiny !
I look forward to see how you put these ships into the game :)

Question: (So long as it doesn't spoil anything)
- Are they pure energy beings ?

The Neonites are a race of quasi-energy beings who got that way by getting distracted as they were ascending to a pure-energy form. Now they are absolute whizzes at manipulating energy, but still need some matter frameworks to make things work properly (hence the engines and turret mounting points). This makes them the crankiest species in history.

Special thanks go to Praetors for providing the Gratuitous Modding Pack (http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6888), which gave me the idea for the Neonite ships. My intent is for all Neonite effects to come from this excellent resource (sounds included).

Return to “Gratuitous Modding”