[MOD] The Ghosts v0.95

Welcome to the shipyards. Here you can discuss how to re-calibrate the positronic neutron flow to double power to the aft shields. Or you can discuss how to add new ships, new maps, new scenarios, new modules, etc. have fun!
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Re: [MOD] The Ghosts v0.95

Postby Archduke Astro » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:26 pm

Praetors wrote:Just wanting to know, if they were named Necron instead of Necros, there would be some kind of legal problem? Cuz i can see some other words like "Marauder". That word has been used to name LOTS of ships and stuff in other games... just saying....

A few words of caution:

The fact that, for example, "Marauder" is not an overly-specialized term is still a situation that does not prevent them from suing someone.

Please understand that pretty much any legal adult can sue any other legal adult for any reason whatsoever. It stinks, but that's life. :P

If events progressed that far, Games Workshop might not actually win a lawsuit against you, but they can still make your life miserable by forcing you to hire a lawyer and defend yourself in court. That's an "adventure" which requires substantial time away from your university classes or your job, and can easily cost you thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars even if you're vindicated. Not many people have that amount of unused money simply doing nothing, laying around in their bank account and not needed for the necessities of life, which is why most people can't defend themselves from outrageously stupid "nuisance" lawsuits and are therefore only too happy to comply in full if/when a company barks at them. :( Even if that company's claimed ownership/control of that term seems somewhat uncertain or unreasonable.

In all probability it would not proceed that far. First, the company would most likely tell their lawyer to issue you a Cease and Desist letter to get you to stop making use of "intellectual property" that they claim is theirs. Such a note is essentially just "polite" (ha ha!) coercion to make you stop doing the thing that's annoying them. Many (but not all!) entities sending out C&D letters are just copyright trolls, and can be safely ignored. But you need to be damned sure of that. The implied (or nakedly out-in-the-open) threat of stronger legal proceedings against you if you do not stop is not always to be taken lightly -- especially when you're talking about a company (Games Workshop) that has a history of going out of its way to search the web in order to find people who are making use of terms, descriptions, situations or graphics that they feel too closely match ones that they have created for their own GW games.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, and this post is not legal advice. ;)
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞
Praetors
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Praetors » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:10 pm

Yep, ur right... stinks!
But thanks for illuminating me with this extra knowledge, wich is always welcomed. ^^
PI: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5698
TP: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6928
TG: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7659

Engineer of the Friendly Community Mod Squad.
TheSauron
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby TheSauron » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:20 pm

Yay!

As I mentioned some time ago, your mods are SO[...]O AWESOME!
But after playing The Ghosts I think that they would need some ghost tractor, ghost PD and ghost target painter.
Thats only "stylish" things that I think there should be but overall the mod is SO[...}O AWESOME!
Just hate those cruiser explosions. ;]
Oh, and transphasic anti-proton beam/cannon/launcher (I don't remember) is avalbalie for all races.
If it should be, ok.

I hope to see more of your mods in the future :D
Yay!
Praetors
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Praetors » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:41 pm

Thanks again sir, i'm currently focusing my efforts on preparing everything for Praetorian Industries v1.2. Aside that, i've been thinking on some extra modules for The Ghosts v1.0, as you can see below. About the explosions, you cannot use standard fleet formations with the Ghosts, at least not thight ones!.
Another module that i forgot to restric? damnit! Thanks for reporting!

Just something i wrote about a few new techs, comments are welcomed:

Code: Select all

[...]The Ghosts, a race that rely on their shields over everything else, and with a good reason since their ships are trapped between phase space and normal space, flickering between them, without ever reaching none of them. Trapped in a fragile existence in wich any powerful enough external energy disturbance can destroy them in a catastrophic chain reaction.
They are the remnants of the Necros, we now know that. What we dont know is how far they have gone with their technological advances... first they shared those triple shield cores, similar to the common multiphasic shields, just far more stronger. Then they came with those godamned Reflector Shields that only our heavy plasma torpedoes can barely penetrate. Thankfully those cant hold too much if they recieve any damage.
After that, reports started to talk about "Regenerator Shields", and let me tell you that we are not talking about common fast recharge shields, those regenerators are even better that the ones that Praetorian Industries sold to us some cicles ago. Those "Ghosts" have the stronger shields, the most resistant ones and now, the ones with faster regeneration rate.
But that is not the main reason of this conference, you all know very well that we have a lot of experience with shields thanks to our main enemy, The Empire. The reason for wich i've called to our best commanders to this special event is recently known as "Negator Shield".
The other ghost devices that i've mentioned are nothing compared with this, a shield that will remain innaltered at any type of disturbance. No weapon can damage it, at least none of our weapons.
We would be talking about evacuating planets right now if it weren't thanks to one of our pilots, wich ran inside the shield bubble to make a fast scan of the ship.
That scan revealed the flaw of that seemingly invincible shield, it is an overcharged version of the Reflector Shield. It works with so much energy that we dont know how the hell they can keep them working. But we know something much more important, this large ammount of energy affects the whole carrier ship, reducing the nano-stability of their hulls. Gentlemen, we must bypass their shields and hit them hard from inside, equip your fighter with the best you have, and when you have that done, equip on them the rest of everything you have. If we want to keep our worlds habitated we will have to rely in our fighter pilots. [...]

- Derek Carter, Rebel Almirant.

GATC
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby GATC » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:30 pm

Please, tell me you did not use negative health module? PLEASE!

Invulnerable shield is not a good idea.
Yes, you can still destroy the ship with your fighter, but what about the campaign? And all the mission? If you are the owner of the Invulnerable shield, you can easily create nearly unbeatable strategy.

I'm waiting to see and judge...

(BTW, did you think about the shield disruptor? It is only affected by the shield strength, not the regen ^^ )
Xedilco are coming for you! http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5506
Praetors
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Praetors » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:52 pm

GATC wrote:Please, tell me you did not use negative health module? PLEASE!

Invulnerable shield is not a good idea.
Yes, you can still destroy the ship with your fighter, but what about the campaign? And all the mission? If you are the owner of the Invulnerable shield, you can easily create nearly unbeatable strategy.

I'm waiting to see and judge...

(BTW, did you think about the shield disruptor? It is only affected by the shield strength, not the regen ^^ )

Shield...Disruptor... FFFFFFFFFFFF***!!
How did i just forgot about it! Negators will be not really invulnerable anymore...

Okay, i know that the Negator Shield idea sounds pretty OP, but i was thinking on making it somewhat complicated to use cuz:

-Removes hull integrity (YES, it uses negative health values, it almost leaves a Ghost ship with the structural integrity of a bubble, some shots and bye!)
-Costs a LOT of credits.
-Makes your ship REALLY heavy.
-Has higher power and crew requeriments, enough to force you to chose bewteen a defensive config or an offensive one.
-You can mount only one, if you mount another, they will nulify eachother (didn't tested)

The main idea is to make it look like the definitive shield, but after a test, the player should think it twice before spamming it because the shield sacrifies a lot of everything in exchange of its tactical power. Also, The Ghosts hulls are very vulnerable to fighter spam. Yes, you can deploy several ships with Transphasic Repeaters, wich are GREAT anti-fighter weapons, but if you do that, you lose true offensive power against the big guys (you can deploy some drone scuads too, but you will lose even more offensive power against big ships, cuz Ghost Drones are anti-fighter dedicated hulls). Add to that the fact of the dangers of using thight formations and you will get a race that haves to chose between 3 ship configurations: Anti-Fighter Hulls, Offensive Hulls and Defensive ones. Each one lacking of any feature of the other configurations.

If i'm wrong about Ghost Cruiser tactics, then i'm doing something wrong about their codes. Anyways, i still needing to keep playtesting it, since it is so powerful, it needs a really cautious balancing. Any constructive comment is really welcomed ^^

In other news, I've added the Regenerator Shield, wich works in a pretty similar way than P.Inds Regenerators, but with a much higher efficiency. The main idea of all of this, as the text of my previous post says, is to give to The Ghosts several choices in the "shields field" to compensate the disadvantages of their ships, like the highly destructive shockwaves and low hull integrities.

Thoughts?

GATC
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby GATC » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:14 pm

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
Negative health module is more than likely to cause some bug!

I just does some test and discovered that is don't work like a low health module.
The main problem is that when the ship go boom, some modules will work strangely.
First, I believe that decoy projector is still working but don't show a fake ship (have to test some more...)
Every fighter in carrier bay will be trap inside, generating AI error in there movement pattern.
Missile will not be destroyed instant (normally, they self-destruct if the module is brooked)
There is a chance of malfunction with some other module.

So take care of that!
Xedilco are coming for you! http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5506
Praetors
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Praetors » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:09 pm

Hmmm, didn't noticed any problem, yet. But i will keep testing it, if any bug is revealed, bye negator. :P

AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby AcePalarum » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:06 pm

GATC wrote:WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
Negative health module is more than likely to cause some bug!

So is it when the ship has negative hit points, or is it the fact that a single module on the ship has negative hit points that causes a problem? I've done some very basic testing with negative-hit-point ships that showed them to just be so delicate that the slightest tap blows them away. But then I wasn't working with anything complicated.

I like the idea of this Negator Shield. I think a -100% stacking penalty as you've described contributes a lot to balancing a prohibitively high resistance. I would also keep the shield strength in the moderate range so that shield disruptors become very effective equipment to bring into combat against the Ghosts. (I'm pretty sure the shield stability recovers at the shield's regeneration rate, so there's another balancing tool.)
While my ability to succeed is finite, my capacity for failure knows no bounds.
*Basement Tinkerer and OCD Savant of the Friendly Community Mod Squad*

Mods: Matmos Rift, Antares Expanse, Great Powers Stations
Praetors
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Praetors » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:22 pm

As far i can remember, but not completely sure, there is no problem with shield modules with negative hp values (weapons might be another story), even better, they dont insta-go down at the first shot, seems like the reduction of hp affects every module, removing an identical hp percentage of each one of them. Aside that, the shield points are very few, making it vulnerable against disruptors.
I'm pretty sure that with a few touchs, the Negator Shield will be quite balanced. Only playtesters will tell me :B

GATC
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby GATC » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:47 am

I've tested with the noah battleship:
If the ship got negative HP, it's an insta death with other modules with there max HP (this mean that the carrier fighter bug will be here)
If the ship have positive HP and big negative health module, all modules will not be destroyed (so the fighter carrier bug CAN be here)

I've see that a 0 HP Decoy projector don't work at all. But I don't really know about a Decoy projector with remaining HP on a destroyed ship XD

Something to test with the Decoy on, and off...
(But for now I go to bed XD)
AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby AcePalarum » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:47 pm

AcePalarum wrote:(I'm pretty sure the shield stability recovers at the shield's regeneration rate, so there's another balancing tool.)

I stand corrected. In testing with a 0 recharge shield vs. disruptors, the shield stability still regenerated. So I guess that's not as much of a balancing tool as I thought.
While my ability to succeed is finite, my capacity for failure knows no bounds.
*Basement Tinkerer and OCD Savant of the Friendly Community Mod Squad*

Mods: Matmos Rift, Antares Expanse, Great Powers Stations

Return to “Gratuitous Modding”