Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fleet Mod - Please Help!

Welcome to the shipyards. Here you can discuss how to re-calibrate the positronic neutron flow to double power to the aft shields. Or you can discuss how to add new ships, new maps, new scenarios, new modules, etc. have fun!
highwayhoss
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fleet Mod

Postby highwayhoss » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:38 pm

Two things I would suggest for your mod:
  • I suggest setting up you mod as modular: rather than insert your files directly into the GSB Data folder, I recommend setting it up similar to the way the expansion packs are added. Take a look at some of the other mods in the forum to see what I mean.
  • Looking at the file in the race folder, I noticed you copied the Federation's Victory/Defeat messages and the names; I suggest creating your own names and messages.
ThePorkchopExpress
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby ThePorkchopExpress » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:37 pm

I dont know how to do that...

and perhaps I uploaded the wrong race file, this is what mine reads as..

[victory_messages]
0 = "Fraked"
1 = "Lords of Kobol didn't hear your prayer"
3 = "Pwned"
4 = "Previously on Battlestar Galactica... boom!"
5 = "Sometimes the hard 6 rolls you"
6 = "How did you expect to win with such felgercarb for ships"
7 = "Ok, next crisis."
8 = "you just got fraked big time."
9 = "At least you didn't have to watch Galactica 1980."
10 = "Time for some Ambrosia in a hot tub with Starbuck."
11 = "In space, no one can hear you get pwned"

[defeat_messages]
1 = "Previously on Battlestar Galactica... Pwned"
2 = "I've always liked toasters"
3 = "This never happened on the tv show"
4 = "Well, its still better than Galactica 1980"
5 = "Admiral Cain just rolled over in his or her grave"
6 = "DELETED!"
7 = "By your command"
8 = "Now go home and get your shine box!"
9 = "I had a bad feeling about this."
10 = "A change in plans might be in order."

[crew]
0 = "Apollo"
1 = "Adama"
2 = "Athena"
3 = "Sheba"
4 = "Baltar"
5 = "Boomer"
6 = "Jolly"
7 = "Starbuck"
8 = "Mookie"
9 = "the Dane"
10 = "Chuckles"
11 = "Husher"
12 = "Washout"
13 = "Deatmeat"
14 = "Glory hole"
15 = "Biff"
16 = "dont call me Shirley"
17 = "Tippman"
18 = "Zuul"
19 = "Gozer"
20 = "Ash"
21 = "Number6"
22 = "Dingleberry"
23 = "Yoink"
24 = "Kain"
25 = "Cain"
26 = "McFly"
27 = "Scotty"
28 = "Khan!"
29 = "Chief"
30 = "Galen"
31 = "Kara"
32 = "Bob"
33 = "Sol"
34 = "Fodder"
35 = "Tarquin"
36 = "JR"
ThePorkchopExpress
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby ThePorkchopExpress » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

magnus392 wrote:

Could be, I am running the latest with Parasite...? Can you list those 16 modules?

All the rail guns, the colonial_cruiser_defense_emp_pulse_generator, and the colonial_cruiser_other_armor_repair_crew plus their Frigate equivalent
magnus392
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby magnus392 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:32 pm

highwayhoss wrote:Two things I would suggest for your mod:
  • I suggest setting up you mod as modular: rather than insert your files directly into the GSB Data folder, I recommend setting it up similar to the way the expansion packs are added. Take a look at some of the other mods in the forum to see what I mean.
  • Looking at the file in the race folder, I noticed you copied the Federation's Victory/Defeat messages and the names; I suggest creating your own names and messages.

I did that with my download links.

As far as the files that don't work, I have started finding some, the cruiser nuke with decoys is an error generator. I will try to weed out others as I have time. I only have the bow turrets and native galactica turrets " old tech, but effective" the 20mm all work fine. I will check the rail guns. The repair crews, emp shielding all work.
Babylon 5 Mod
http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6946
B5 Shadows Mod - Beta-
http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7103
magnus392
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby magnus392 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:24 am

magnus392 wrote:
highwayhoss wrote:Two things I would suggest for your mod:

I did that with my download links.

As far as the files that don't work, I have started finding some, the cruiser nuke with decoys is an error generator. I will try to weed out others as I have time. I only have the bow turrets and native galactica turrets " old tech, but effective" the 20mm all work fine. I will check the rail guns. The repair crews, emp shielding all work.

It seems several of the capital ship based missiles are causing the slot type issues. I have put the mod on an extreme diet and have it working well.
Babylon 5 Mod
http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6946
B5 Shadows Mod - Beta-
http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7103
ThePorkchopExpress
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby ThePorkchopExpress » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:05 pm

is it the nukes?

the radiation based weapons came with The Order install.

if you dont have it, the game is bound to get stupid when it see's a module dealing out radiation
Admiral Harken
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Postby Admiral Harken » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:39 pm

Okay, so far having played around with the mod for a while, I have come up with some stuff.

1. I know that you are staying loyal to the BSG universe by giving the ships weak shields. The only problem is, I'm not sure it really works in GSB. Another mod, the Hiigaran Navy from Homeworld 2, had a similar problem (big shield penalties + armour boosts and really good repair modules) in that there are many weapons that, no matter how good your armour is, will slice through it like paper. Beam lasers have something like armour penetration 70, and you'll never have armour as good as that. It's true that you can still put a shield genny on a ship and it will reflect the laser weapons etc because of its resistance, but the shields then have so little strength that a few hits from anti-shield weapons, i.e. missiles/plasma launchers, will drop them and you'll be back to square one having your big beautiful battlestars sliced into pieces before your eyes. In the battles I've played, the only ship that had serious staying power was the Nova class Battlestar, because it had no shield penalties. The other problem tied to this is that the ships are all pretty damn expensive, meaning that you can outnumbered, leading to multiple ships tearing up your armour really quickly.

2. Point defence systems: Again, for a race that relies on its armour for defence, the point defence systems aren't quite good enough. Their range for example is tiny, especially considering the size of some of the ships. I would think, watching some battles from the series, Ragnar Anchorage for example, that they should actually have a longer range than other races. Could be a good bonus to have. Say double the range of normal PDS to 700 rather than 250-350?

3. There's too much of everything really. I know it's been said about weapons, but I'm wondering whether some of the other modules are needed when other mods/add ons just use ones that are already there. This goes for engines/crew compartments etc that GSB already has a few variants of. A few times while designing ships I've been using basic GSB modules because they work fine and in some cases are actually better value for money. Why include a module that's inferior to what's already there? As I think magnus said before, less is more. Give them say one or two special modules that you think they really need, or that give them an edge, and that should do.

That's it for now, just the main points. I really want to make clear that there are a lot of things I like. The fighters for example are great, the perfect mix of speed/cost, and I love the aesthetics of some of it, such as the long streams of tracer fire from the gattling guns. It give the mod a very distinct feel. I just think that for it to be used in normal GSB games, it needs to be balanced so that they haven't got so much of a disadvantage.

Hope I haven't repeated anything anyone else has said, and I'll keep playing. Hope it helps!
Admiral Harken
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Postby Admiral Harken » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:05 pm

I've just been made to eat my own words. Apparently, you can get your armour rating up past 70....Didn't think that was possible. Will now have to re-evaluate!
ThePorkchopExpress
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby ThePorkchopExpress » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:07 pm

Dont know what to tell you bro. I've ran the colonial fleet thru all the scenarios that came with the game on all 3 difficulty levels. I wasnt able to win every battle the 1st time, but thru adjusting the ship load outs and fleet set up I managed to win them all.. even if it was with one ship to spare.

I included so many modules for simple flexibility. There will be many a time when you could have fielded another cruiser if you had the extra points to do so. With the variety included, you'll be able to scale back the armor on a few ships to allow you to deploy one more.

Often fast moving ships will evade your big guns, so smaller caliber guns track faster and occasionally shoot quicker giving better dps.

I can promise you, if you set them up right, and deploy them well, and give them decent orders, you'll have a good chance to come out on top.
The trial and error, at least for me, is the fun part of this game.
Admiral Harken
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Postby Admiral Harken » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:36 am

Of course. I wasn't complaining that I couldn't make them an unbeatable fleet in a heartbeat, which would be stupid, and actually following that post, I've managed to fight a few battles with more heavily armour cruisers that soaked up a hell of a lot of damage. I can make a Columbia Battlestar basically invulnerable for a certain amount of time for instance. I wonder whether I jumped the gun a little linking it to the other mod, which to be fair did have those problems. I think I saw the same signs and presumed, rather than waiting. I apologise for that. However, I think the points about the PDS and modules stand.

By the way, loving the assault raptors! Easily one the most useful ships in the mod. They're great for taking down a few ship's shields before the main cruisers move in.

Now to go back to the game, think more about the designs, and preferably stick 'All along the Watchtower' on in the background :)
ThePorkchopExpress
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby ThePorkchopExpress » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:54 am

all this has happened before
-=P

I did notice that I nerfed the specs on the fighter engines. The power req for one was either too high or the other one too low.

I'm actually going thru all the modules and refining them a little more by lowering the sound and given more diversity in price and performance so you'll be able to use a smaller weapon and free up a substantial amount of points. It's come in handy in regards to maximizing the number of fighters deployed.

Have you used the smaller cannons at all?
I set them up to act as flak guns as well as being good against shields.

I can guarantee the Cylon mod will have substantially fewer modules and weapons given the small number of gizmos seen in the show. Plus there didnt seem to be a whole lot of diversity in their arsenal. I dont recall seeing any Cylon artillery until the battle at the colony.. maybe in some flash back scenes of the 1st cylon war.
ThePorkchopExpress
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby ThePorkchopExpress » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:41 pm

What would you guys like to see included in a Cylon mod other than both generations of fighters and baseships... and a lot of missiles?
Lonestar
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Lonestar » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:48 am

To install your mod like an expansion;

Make a folder in the root folder of GSB.

Code: Select all

Yourmodname

put all your modded content in here
Then make a Data/install folder and place a txt file in there with the name of your mod, and then add

[config]
path = yourmodname

Then go back to data and make a folder named packages and place the following into a txt file with the name of your mod

[config]
name = yourmodnamehere
uiname = "Your mod name as seen ingame"

Then save as a .pkg file.

Now this will run the new mod and IF you try to do an online challenge the pkg flags your challenge and prevents others from attempting the challenge , unless they have this mod also. When you zip up your mod you should have the following folders GSB/data/install, GSB/data/packages, GSB/yourmodname.

I hope that this will help and if you are stuck shoot me a message and i'll attempt to help more.

Lonestar

That's not a ship, its a transformer!
Admiral Harken
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Postby Admiral Harken » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:37 pm

For the Cylons, I'm thinking their strengths should be numbers (for fighters) and very long range missiles (for the cruisers). Looking at the series these would seem to be their strengths, since they always attempt to attack with overwhelming force with large fighter swarms and munitions to confuse PD systems.

The Basestars themselves I don't think should be that tough, hence the long range, since whenever they go head-to-head with battlestars at relatively close range (such as in the Resurrection Ship battle) they tend to be taken apart with ease by colonial weaponry. Maybe an armour/hull integrity penalty?

Oh and yes, would very much like to see ships from both series :) Out of interest, I wonder how hard it would be to create a Campaign map with both Colonial and Cylon fleets?
ThePorkchopExpress
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby ThePorkchopExpress » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:45 am

Thats pretty much the route i'm going. I'm including repair systems with tons of supplies but a slow repair rate to simulate the semi organic nature of modern cylon ships' ability to "heal" itself.

I'm keeping the modern baseships basically on par with regular cruisers from other races... the old school basestar is evidently much larger and will be on par with battlestars.

I've got two additional ship designs not seen on the show, one i found online and the futher i fudged together myself.

Their ecm abilities will be significant obviously.

crew requirements will be low

As far as turrets go.. I'm considering keeping the size at 0, turrets just dont seem to look right on the modern baseships.

there will be lots of nukes

Also I'm considering a new module for the Galactica.... a gift shop.

Return to “Gratuitous Modding”