Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fleet Mod - Please Help!

Welcome to the shipyards. Here you can discuss how to re-calibrate the positronic neutron flow to double power to the aft shields. Or you can discuss how to add new ships, new maps, new scenarios, new modules, etc. have fun!
User avatar
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff
Posts: 1654
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Building The Future.

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fleet Mod

Postby Archduke Astro » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:46 pm

Admiral Harken wrote:Are you using a Mac? Because even though you've made a Windows version I'm wondering whether that's why it isn't working. It might be where all these .DS_Store files are coming from, because they aren't anywhere else in the GSB folders apart from the colonials mod.

Clarification: those DS files are normally invisible on a Mac; they're part of the Finder's file management methods in OS X. After one has transferred a natively Mac-created mod into a Windows OS environment, they can be safely deleted by the importing player. Just flush 'em and forget 'em.
.
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞
User avatar
magnus392
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot
Posts: 207
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:22 am

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fleet Mod

Postby magnus392 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:50 am

Archduke Astro wrote:
Admiral Harken wrote:Are you using a Mac? Because even though you've made a Windows version I'm wondering whether that's why it isn't working. It might be where all these .DS_Store files are coming from, because they aren't anywhere else in the GSB folders apart from the colonials mod.

Clarification: those DS files are normally invisible on a Mac; they're part of the Finder's file management methods in OS X. After one has transferred a natively Mac-created mod into a Windows OS environment, they can be safely deleted by the importing player. Just flush 'em and forget 'em.


Sounds similar to the trash thumb.db files I get with any PC mod. I set this up just like I did my B5 mods...other than coding errors that has worked pretty well...so...
Babylon 5 Mod
http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6946
B5 Shadows Mod - Beta-
http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7103
Admiral Harken
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fleet Mod

Postby Admiral Harken » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:37 am

Out of interest, could these actually be stopping it from working? I know you say they're not important, but if they're from a Mac...I'll get rid of them and try again.
Admiral Harken
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fleet Mod

Postby Admiral Harken » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:47 am

Nope, no joy unsurprisingly. Losing hope, which is a shame because I really wanted to play it and help :/ Maybe the toasters have infiltrated my network....
Admiral Harken
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fleet Mod

Postby Admiral Harken » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:43 am

Sorry for all the posts, I'm just trying to iron out any possible problems. I think the main problem lies in the fact that if I put the bsg mod's folder into the GSB one, the game crashes on startup (i.e. the music starts and the main menu pic comes up, but not the menu). I can see no reason why this would happen, since it's laid out the same as any other add on/mod folder.

A problem which I thought might be the cause is that there was some inconsistency between what the race is called and what it is referred to throughout the rest of the mod. There were places where it was called 'colonial' and places where it was called 'bsg' or 'Battlestar Galactica'. It was even like this in the race data file, whereas other add ons just had the same simple name such as 'order' throughout. I therefore have tried changing it to just plain 'colonial', just in case it was getting confused. Unfortunately, still no. As I said, just the folder being in the GSB folder causes the game to crash. Take it out again, it's fine. Not sure what would cause that.
User avatar
AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot
Posts: 1132
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:57 pm
Location: Lurking Right Behind You

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fleet Mod

Postby AcePalarum » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:21 pm

Is anything being written to your errors.txt file? Sometimes that can give you an idea of where the problem is occurring.
While my ability to succeed is finite, my capacity for failure knows no bounds.
*Basement Tinkerer and OCD Savant of the Friendly Community Mod Squad*

Mods: Matmos Rift, Antares Expanse, Great Powers Stations
User avatar
magnus392
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot
Posts: 207
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:22 am

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fleet Mod

Postby magnus392 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Admiral Harken wrote:Sorry for all the posts, I'm just trying to iron out any possible problems. I think the main problem lies in the fact that if I put the bsg mod's folder into the GSB one, the game crashes on startup (i.e. the music starts and the main menu pic comes up, but not the menu). I can see no reason why this would happen, since it's laid out the same as any other add on/mod folder.

A problem which I thought might be the cause is that there was some inconsistency between what the race is called and what it is referred to throughout the rest of the mod. There were places where it was called 'colonial' and places where it was called 'bsg' or 'Battlestar Galactica'. It was even like this in the race data file, whereas other add ons just had the same simple name such as 'order' throughout. I therefore have tried changing it to just plain 'colonial', just in case it was getting confused. Unfortunately, still no. As I said, just the folder being in the GSB folder causes the game to crash. Take it out again, it's fine. Not sure what would cause that.


That shouldn't be the issue, as where it is called BSG is simply the directory folder, the install file, and the race file, and that is only under the display name of the mod, not the race name, ship names or anything else.

This should be the top of the races.txt file:

Code: Select all

name = "colonial"
guiname = "Battlestar Galactica"
logo = "bsg.jpg"
debrisstartuv = 32
debrisenduv = 64
escapepodid = 2
shield = "normal_shield.dds"
description = "In this alternate universe the Colonies have faired better against the Cylon attack that destroyed all 12 colonies."
repairbotid = 1
contrailid = 1
music = federation_battle.ogg
shieldcollapseuv = 1
defaultnames = colonial
guiid = 999999
lockable = 0
unlockcost = 0


Now, for whatever reason I am getting (with full mod) 16 separate unknown slot type messages when I load the game. I am able to hit ok and continue. I am currently culling the modules for personal usage and if I eliminate this error I will share my solution, but this could be your hang up. After removing over half the modules I am down to 8-9 errors when I start the game now:) Again I am sorry you are having issues, but I just packaged up what Chop has put together for us so graciously. All mods have growing pains and this one is currently pretty complex and will take some sorting out. So please be patient with us and it will get sorted out, and you will get your BSG fix
Babylon 5 Mod
http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6946
B5 Shadows Mod - Beta-
http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7103
Admiral Harken
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fleet Mod

Postby Admiral Harken » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:07 pm

Don't worry, I'm not about to attribute any failings to you and especially not to PorkChop. It's likely it's partly my own failure, not being a very computer-literate person. However, on the error file front, this has popped up every time I've tried to start the game by the looks of it:

13/8/2012 - 10::34 - Unknown Slot Type for module:..\src\SIM_ShipModuleType.cpp 75
User avatar
magnus392
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot
Posts: 207
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:22 am

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fleet Mod

Postby magnus392 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:12 pm

Admiral Harken wrote:Don't worry, I'm not about to attribute any failings to you and especially not to PorkChop. It's likely it's partly my own failure, not being a very computer-literate person. However, on the error file front, this has popped up every time I've tried to start the game by the looks of it:

13/8/2012 - 10::34 - Unknown Slot Type for module:..\src\SIM_ShipModuleType.cpp 75


Yeah I get 16 of those. Literally 16 each time I start since installation. It is on my list, lol.
Babylon 5 Mod
http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6946
B5 Shadows Mod - Beta-
http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7103
ThePorkchopExpress
Type II Robot
Type II Robot
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:40 pm

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fleet Mod

Postby ThePorkchopExpress » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:52 pm

I'm uploading everything again, including everything rather than risk missing something

I'm also using the full version 1.57 with the add ons of the swarm, tribe, and order. If you dont have them it might account for the unknown slot types like sim_kineticweapon

Create a Colonial folder in Data/Bitmaps/Ships and place these folders into it..
http://www.mediafire.com/?z8u821h5z3k7a3i
http://www.mediafire.com/?7btsc7p2tpbliqp
http://www.mediafire.com/?d7m4tedsapp1jpx
http://www.mediafire.com/?fbuwrv3n4nw7b9n
http://www.mediafire.com/?11m3y4owdd99i8i
http://www.mediafire.com/?r6qm52mj2mgv6xi
http://www.mediafire.com/?cd35hlc917giidx

Add these files to the data/bitmaps/fx folder:
http://www.mediafire.com/?o46iolb14bmmlmj

These go into the data/modules folder
http://www.mediafire.com/?8c1g9wcxej9pdxp

Place the 2 txt files in the data/races folder
and the jpg into the data/bitmaps/races folder:
http://www.mediafire.com/?0d6d5zedn1ijeue

These go into the data/sound folder:
http://www.mediafire.com/?p80bcybnsw5t8ti

You'll need to create a folder named "colonial" in the data/bitmaps/turrets folder and place these in them:
http://www.mediafire.com/?9xah4pv9db59s2x

And finally add this txt files to the data/shipnames folder:
http://www.mediafire.com/?954e6rll7lovc79
ThePorkchopExpress
Type II Robot
Type II Robot
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:40 pm

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fleet Mod

Postby ThePorkchopExpress » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:48 pm

magnus392 wrote:
Admiral Harken wrote:Don't worry, I'm not about to attribute any failings to you and especially not to PorkChop. It's likely it's partly my own failure, not being a very computer-literate person. However, on the error file front, this has popped up every time I've tried to start the game by the looks of it:

13/8/2012 - 10::34 - Unknown Slot Type for module:..\src\SIM_ShipModuleType.cpp 75


Yeah I get 16 of those. Literally 16 each time I start since installation. It is on my list, lol.



I wonder if its due to the kinetic weapons, smartbomb modules, and the armour repair crews.. put together they number 16 items
Admiral Harken
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fleet Mod

Postby Admiral Harken » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:09 pm

Partial Success! The Colonials have appeared as a race. However, they have no ships.... I wonder if you forgot to put the data/hulls entries in? I put the ones from a previous download in, and an error came up when I tried to go into ship design saying there was a problem with turret mapping?

However, IT ALMOST WORKED!! :D
Admiral Harken
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fleet Mod

Postby Admiral Harken » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:12 pm

Scratch my last! IT WORKS!!! Permission to wave hands in the air and scream: "It's aliiiiiiiiiiive!!" :D

Will now play until my eyeballs melt!
ThePorkchopExpress
Type II Robot
Type II Robot
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:40 pm

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fleet Mod

Postby ThePorkchopExpress » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:22 pm

jump up and clap hands with glee!

Oh, if there should be a weapon in there that looks like a ratty old sofa... it is. It is a reference to the machima series called Clear Skies which is based in the Eve Online universe.
User avatar
magnus392
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot
Posts: 207
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:22 am

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fleet Mod

Postby magnus392 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:57 pm

ThePorkchopExpress wrote:
magnus392 wrote:
Admiral Harken wrote:Don't worry, I'm not about to attribute any failings to you and especially not to PorkChop. It's likely it's partly my own failure, not being a very computer-literate person. However, on the error file front, this has popped up every time I've tried to start the game by the looks of it:

13/8/2012 - 10::34 - Unknown Slot Type for module:..\src\SIM_ShipModuleType.cpp 75


Yeah I get 16 of those. Literally 16 each time I start since installation. It is on my list, lol.



I wonder if its due to the kinetic weapons, smartbomb modules, and the armour repair crews.. put together they number 16 items



Could be, I am running the latest with Parasite...? Can you list those 16 modules?
Babylon 5 Mod
http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6946
B5 Shadows Mod - Beta-
http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7103

Return to “Gratuitous Modding”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests