[Mod] The Uglies (Closed) =But it was a fun ride=

Welcome to the shipyards. Here you can discuss how to re-calibrate the positronic neutron flow to double power to the aft shields. Or you can discuss how to add new ships, new maps, new scenarios, new modules, etc. have fun!
BowlNwhsprer
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: [Mod] The Uglies (V0.1 Released) ["Chop Shop" Parts Pack

Postby BowlNwhsprer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:01 am

I'm working on Frigate-sized ships currently.

So far I have 1 frigate and 3 ships whose class I've dubbed "Gunboats."

Gunboats are essentially fighters that carry 1, 2, or 3 frigate turrets on them. They range in size from 21 to 39 meters. Their small "Frigate" size is off set with reductions in speed and they have the Praetorian "-99% CostBoost" which is utilized for their class of modules and weapons that are lighter than normal frigate modules and do not need any crew.

The Gunboat-class of ships will be the backbone of the Uglies Frigate-sized fleet with larger, classic, Frigates getting only vanilla weaponry but a range of support modules to help out other ships. (PDs, ShieldBoosters, Carrier Bays, etc.)
"Remember, the enemy's gate is down." ~ Andrew "Ender" Wiggin from Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game"
BowlNwhsprer
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: [Mod] The Uglies (V0.1 Released) ["Chop Shop" Parts Pack

Postby BowlNwhsprer » Thu May 03, 2012 4:47 am

I'm not dead! See?! Hah!

I give the GSB community version 0.2 of the "Uglies!"

Mac Version 0.2

PC Version 0.2

What to expect(aka Changelog):

v0.2
6 fighters
3 Gunboats
2 Frigates
48 modules
Rebalance of weapon modules. Darn it…I forgot what I did though. In the next release I'll document the changes! Promise!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gunboats (Explained)

All of my gunboats have a -99% costboost, an indicator that they have unique weaponry that only they can use as the price for their modules are ridiculously high for any ship to use other than them.

Rather than rely on crew modules, Gunboats utilize "Gunners." They come in two flavors "AI" and "Real." The AI gunners are much cheaper but due to limited processing power they lack the efficiency of a "real" gunner and give a minus to targeting speed. The Real gunners are more expensive but they give bonuses to targeting speed rather than a debuff. Hopefully the boost in targeting speed (or cheap cost) will promote the use of gunboats.
"Remember, the enemy's gate is down." ~ Andrew "Ender" Wiggin from Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game"
AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: [Mod] The Uglies (V0.2 RELEASED!) [+Gunboats, +Frigates]

Postby AcePalarum » Thu May 03, 2012 8:31 pm

I still really dig the funky kitbashed designs here. So naturally I haven't had a chance to download and test. Maybe by this weekend I'll get the chance. Or maybe not. Sigh. At any rate, I do plan to pull down this mod and give it a look-through to see what I can contribute in the form of constructive feedback.

(I really like the Liberator design - puts me in mind of the Vipers from Battlestar Galactica.)
While my ability to succeed is finite, my capacity for failure knows no bounds.
*Basement Tinkerer and OCD Savant of the Friendly Community Mod Squad*

Mods: Matmos Rift, Antares Expanse, Great Powers Stations
BowlNwhsprer
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby BowlNwhsprer » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:55 am

Hey folks,

I'm teaching summer school again this year and it's pretty hectic. A few cruiser designs are in the works but they are long from completion. The next steps for me would be to start designing some scenarios for some epic fighter swarming action. So hang tight as I get used to the pace of a change in normal "life."
BowlNwhsprer
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby BowlNwhsprer » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:29 am

Holy hell it's been a long time.

I mean, LONG time.

Life never returned to "normal."

I don't think I'll be updating my mod or making anymore contributions to GSB (didn't even know GSB2 came out), but wow.

Just an update for the ages I guess because I was brought back to this site after finding my GSB application while looking for my newly downloaded MAC Total Annihilation game.

I loaded it up and OMG, the memories.

So it naturally brought me back here. And what do you know, few are still here and modding. Archduke is now staff (congrats!) and I, well, just thought I'd put up an update, to well, me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since the summer of 2012, when I last posted, I am now working as a teacher of History at one of the best High Schools on the island of O'ahu, Waipahu High. I got the position right after that summer school teaching fling. Now I am happily tenured and looking to begin the fifth year of teaching 9th grade World HIstory.

There is little time to do anymore development and such on GSB now that my career is in full swing. But regardless, it was really cool to look back at all the mods and the community that helped me create (part of) something that I didn't know I thought I could.

Seriously, thank you guys for the support. This community is awesome.

Currently, I am an advisor for my school's robotics team. The next step is learning java to help with First Robotics next year. And it is hard (and boring). But looking back at how difficult it was to get my one little fighter to work properly in-game, I'm sure I can handle.

Hit me up on Steam, I have the same SN

BowlNwhsprer

Return to “Gratuitous Modding”