Gratuitous Universal Battles! DEVELOPMENT HAS STARTED![Mod]

Welcome to the shipyards. Here you can discuss how to re-calibrate the positronic neutron flow to double power to the aft shields. Or you can discuss how to add new ships, new maps, new scenarios, new modules, etc. have fun!
alimarin
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: Gratuitous Universal Battles! DEVELOPMENT HAS STARTED![M

Postby alimarin » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:28 pm

Archduke Astro wrote:Unfortunately, I do not wish for my Classic Dreadnoughts mod content to be used within the project you described. This also includes the corrupted CDNs within Darkstar's Uni-T:Viral subnode.

Alright, I'll strike that one. Out of curiosity, though, why are you not allowing it?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gratuitous Universal Battles!
- http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6602
alimarin
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby alimarin » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:06 pm

Alright, I'm going at how this mod is installed a little differently, for the vanilla races and expansion races, they're going to copy over their respective files and folders, so people have to back up their games before installing that part, if they want it. For the mods, however, I will have them all included into one big GUB folder and modded there.
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:10 am

alimarin wrote:
Archduke Astro wrote:Unfortunately, I do not wish for my Classic Dreadnoughts to be used within the project you described. This also includes the corrupted CDNs within Darkstar's Uni-T:Viral subnode.

Alright, I'll strike that one. Out of curiosity, though, why are you not allowing it?

I will keep these thoughts as constructive as possible. Therefore:

My CDN mod is still very much a work-in-progress, hence I would not like them in your Compilation of mods as there is still more to come. Much more, actually. Not only new content, but numerous delicate changes to existing CDN content, also. With more playtesting and tweaking needed to further refine my current creations, as well as applying the same to the brand-new content in the development pipeline, my mod's situation is changeable and intricate enough to be an extremely poor fit for what you propose. It's going to take me years (plural) for me to get my own content into shape, since the present publicly accessible portion of my mod content is just a tiny preview of a much larger body of as-yet-unpublished, still in-development modding work. Sorry, mate.

Additionally, I'm concerned that the truly gigantic dimensions of what you're wanting to achieve is simply beyond your limits. I intend no disrespect in saying so.

It's just that you were only active on the modding forum (and [modding-wise] not materially accomplishing much) for such a short while after you registered with us, then you vanished for a year, now you're back with a goal that's bigger than the Moon, and I have to wonder how you realistically intend to deliver on all of your (shall we say) enthusiastic claims. Especially since it appears that the majority of what you propose to "create" is actually going to be taken directly from other modders' content. Successfully balancing such an amorphous heap of content is going to be a task that would make even the most talented modder turn pale with uncertainty. I seriously doubt that even the game's developer could accomplish, within any feasible period of time and sanity, the same plan that you have chosen for yourself. I hope that I am wrong.

Your time is your own to spend as you choose, of course, but for my part I think it's wise for me to simply wave to you from the sidelines as I walk back to my own headache-inducing mod WIP: approximately 5% down, 95% to go.

Again, I want to stress that my thoughts above are not a personal attack upon you. I'm simply wondering how it's even remotely realistic that with so little deep experience with this game that you can meet your stated goals with this mod.

Best of luck with making your modding dreams come true -- but big dreams also require even bigger skill and experience.
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞
alimarin
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby alimarin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:48 am

Alrighty, I need help with damage textures, I can't seem to find the right look to make the ship damage look good.
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:58 am

alimarin wrote:I need help with damage textures, I can't seem to find the right look to make the ship damage look good.

Since you have been away for a year you might want to get yourself re-aquainted with Modding Basics 101.
Consider this part of your re-induction (as well as reading every post in the Modding forum for the last year):P

In there you will find a link on "Cliffski rough guide on how to make the damage look good."
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
-=Modding Guru & Egon Spengler of the Friendly Community Mod Squad=-
alimarin
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby alimarin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:10 am

darkstar076 wrote:
alimarin wrote:I need help with damage textures, I can't seem to find the right look to make the ship damage look good.

Since you have been away for a year you might want to get yourself re-aquainted with Modding Basics 101.
Consider this part of your re-induction (as well as reading every post in the Modding forum for the last year):P

In there you will find a link on "Cliffski rough guide on how to make the damage look good."

Never mind, I found a good one, lets see what you guys think.

alimarin
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby alimarin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:41 am

I got the hulk done! It goes alot faster once you figure out how to do it!

N3MES1S
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby N3MES1S » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:02 pm

Y the hull is so dark?? some spcific reason? the color change between the damaged texture and the hull one will be too much noticeable in-game...
Lonestar
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Lonestar » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi hi,

Thanks for asking about my mods, Currently there is ZERO current releases for the Eve-online mod, and due to reasons of copyright issues I feel that I am unable to allow you use of it. I did speak to CCP and they allowed me to make a eve-online mod for Freelancer, and i am also making it here. Since it is mostly not me work IE the images I have no clue if I can allow it. However I think that once it is released it goes out of my hands.

However the Gunship, Corvette, dreadnought mod i have been working on has slowed in development that i am unsure if its is going to be complete. There are models within there that I have had others make and forgot whom did them with some exceptions. I do want to work more on the mod before allowing it into any others.
alimarin
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby alimarin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:51 pm

Lonestar wrote:Hi hi,

Thanks for asking about my mods, Currently there is ZERO current releases for the Eve-online mod, and due to reasons of copyright issues I feel that I am unable to allow you use of it. I did speak to CCP and they allowed me to make a eve-online mod for Freelancer, and i am also making it here. Since it is mostly not me work IE the images I have no clue if I can allow it. However I think that once it is released it goes out of my hands.

However the Gunship, Corvette, dreadnought mod i have been working on has slowed in development that i am unsure if its is going to be complete. There are models within there that I have had others make and forgot whom did them with some exceptions. I do want to work more on the mod before allowing it into any others.

Alright.

And the ship is being totally redone, because for some reason I am getting a white box.
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:00 pm

N3MES1S wrote:Y the hull is so dark?? some spcific reason? the color change between the damaged texture and the hull one will be too much noticeable in-game...

I was wondering the same thing. It's actually even worse on my monitor -- the image's brightness is so low as to be nearly nonexistent. It's just a square of black with some faint smudges of dark orange here and there.

Alimarin, I'll try to help you with this graphics mystery.

My concern is that you're doing graphics work on a computer with a monitor that's drifted *far* out of calibration. I saved your image of the destroyed Cougar, raised the brightness to better match the undamaged ship's picture, and am uploading it here. Hopefully the comparison between these two versions of it will help you in figuring out to what extent you need to adjust your monitor's output settings. Good thing I got to see this before you began creating graphics for the dozens of other starship hulls you're planning.

Before you ask, I am using a professional S-IPS -type monitor that's been calibrated. The difference between that and the widely-known poor quality of the TN-type screens used for nearly all laptop computers and most desktop consumer-grade computers is like night and day.

Something definitely went *way* wrong when you made your hulk. In Photoshop, I pushed the Brightness control to max value (+150%) and barely anything changed! :( I had to use the Exposure control instead, which is strong medicine. The attached pic here shows what adding +5.30 exposure did in the effort of trying to make the hull visible. Alimarin, I'm afraid that the original hulk image is beyond saving, mate. The hull is somewhat visible when seen on my display, but it's still too dark. Let us know what this looks like on your display -- if it seems much too bright, then your display needs some adjustment.

Fed Cougar - destroyed - added +5.30 to Exposure control.jpg
Fed Cougar - destroyed - added +5.30 to Exposure control.jpg (160.63 KiB) Viewed 5660 times
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞
alimarin
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby alimarin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:26 pm

I have to redo the entire ship. I got a white box when I tried to load it ingame
alimarin
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby alimarin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:18 pm

Okay this is weird, I can get the actual hull in-game, but the damaged and hulk variants are still giving white boxes... I don't even know why it is either, I have the alpha channel and mipmaps generated...
ponyus
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby ponyus » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:35 pm

1. im not sure, but i think you have to name the files "myship_damaged.dds" and "myship_hulk.dds". try that if you havnt already.

2. the deserter mod is still in alpha stage. alot will change, so if you include my mod now, it will be waay off later on. so not right now... and i cant prommise that ill allow it later iether. i hope im not comming off as a selfish douche, but i dont like to leave the the work of my mod into other peoples hands. i may however help out with ship designs (since thats really the only freelance work i am comfortable with)

that said, good luck with the mod! i hope you realise what a huge task you have put on your shoulders!

lycka till! as we say here :)
Gameplay Designer and balancing wizard for Gratuitous Space Battles 2

to me "gratuitous" means "awesome"

Winner of the 2011 community mod contest
alimarin
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby alimarin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:01 pm

ponyus wrote:1. im not sure, but i think you have to name the files "myship_damaged.dds" and "myship_hulk.dds". try that if you havnt already.

2. the deserter mod is still in alpha stage. alot will change, so if you include my mod now, it will be waay off later on. so not right now... and i cant prommise that ill allow it later iether. i hope im not comming off as a selfish douche, but i dont like to leave the the work of my mod into other peoples hands. i may however help out with ship designs (since thats really the only freelance work i am comfortable with)

that said, good luck with the mod! i hope you realise what a huge task you have put on your shoulders!

lycka till! as we say here :)

I have done it once before, just it was ridiculous hard to keep up with the patches, back in the days of 1.25

Return to “Gratuitous Modding”