[MOD] **Classic Dreadnoughts** now in service!

Welcome to the shipyards. Here you can discuss how to re-calibrate the positronic neutron flow to double power to the aft shields. Or you can discuss how to add new ships, new maps, new scenarios, new modules, etc. have fun!
Cen2050
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: [MOD] **Classic Dreadnoughts** now in service!

Postby Cen2050 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:23 am

All I have to say is this: you didn't just inspire my Resolute hull...you inspired me to write the Union vs. Unity story arc as well! Your early tidbits were, in no uncertain terms, brilliant.

Your NEW backstory however...well all I can say is Mind = blown! it's nothing less than incredible. You claim to have put your heart and soul into that material and it shows 199% sir. Absolutely remarkable stuff!
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:29 pm

Cen2050 wrote:All I have to say is this: you didn't just inspire my Resolute hull...you inspired me to write the Union vs. Unity story arc as well! Your early tidbits were, in no uncertain terms, brilliant.

Your NEW backstory however...well all I can say is Mind = blown! it's nothing less than incredible. You claim to have put your heart and soul into that material and it shows 199% sir. Absolutely remarkable stuff!

Thanks, Cen. I'm pleased that you derive so much enjoyment from it!

After a very busy five days, the forum has suddenly become.....very quiet. I think everybody's busy playin' with the shiny new toys. ;)
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞
Cen2050
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Cen2050 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:28 am

That doesn't surprise me at all...your dreadnaughts kinda re-vitalized the "great powers" as you call them (a term that will be used quite a bit as the Union story arc unfolds) What you and Darkstar did so quickly, simply and single handedly is practically a modding miracle.

You shold both be extremely proud of what you've done.
Joecairo
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Joecairo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:43 am

Archduke Astro wrote:After a very busy five days, the forum has suddenly become.....very quiet. I think everybody's busy playin' with the shiny new toys. ;)

Yep, exactly that ;)

I'm still only scratching the surface of Dreadnought design but this mod has definitely got me playing GSB again. It's so much fun being able to load up on whatever you want without making any sacrifices. Plus those bad boys look AMAZING. I seem to be having the most success with the Anaconda so far, planning to get into the Senator next.

Now we need some Dreadnought challenges!
Randy Tjang
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Randy Tjang » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:33 pm

All this big ship talk has made me remember about my Destiny/Order Leviathan...
Current, Nearly completed WIP Ship: http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5690&start=165
Next, Planned WIP Ship: http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6138
I'm not crazy, I'm just creative...
spillblood
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby spillblood » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Nice mod. It's almost like an official expansion. If you could include some single player maps with dreadnoughts on the enemy's side it would be absolutely perfect.
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:48 pm

Randy Tjang wrote:All this big ship talk has made me remember about my Destiny/Order Leviathan...

In all seriousness, I do look forward to the day when the Destiny leaves the construction dock. Very few leviathan-sized hulls have been attempted to date, and among those currently in progress yours might actually be the one that's closest to completion.

Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:04 pm

Cen2050 wrote:That doesn't surprise me at all...your dreadnaughts kinda re-vitalized the "great powers" as you call them (a term that will be used quite a bit as the Union story arc unfolds) What you and Darkstar did so quickly, simply and single handedly is practically a modding miracle.

Revitalized, indeed! :) With only a handful of completely new projects of any kind on the forum at the time, and another handful of immense brain-crushing WIPs that were (of necessity) moving forwards very very slowly, this place had become something less than inspiring. I strongly hoped to strike some sparks and get a new, different kind of creative fire going; one along a much simpler path. The sudden silence on the forum tells me that it succeeded -- so few posts yesterday on account of everyone playing instead of posting. Success, then. :D

Cen2050 wrote:You shold both be extremely proud of what you've done.

I know that Darkstar is; he has every right to be. Some of the best ship artwork he's ever created had been mired in development hell for the longest time, and I'm sure that he's thrilled that it's finally out in the daylight. The visual standards are so stunning not only because they're fascinating extrapolations & evolutions of existing hulls, but also because they blend in so very thoroughly with said existing hulls. When it comes to modding, working in such a confined "space" and with such a precise target to hit aesthetically is very difficult. He executed a truly outstanding job.

But what else would anyone expect of Egon Spengler, anyhow? :D

As for my own feelings of pride, words fail me here. Thank you, GSB modder/player community, for your praise and enthusiasm. I hope to keep that flame burning.
Last edited by Archduke Astro on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:25 pm

Joecairo wrote:I'm still only scratching the surface of Dreadnought design but this mod has definitely got me playing GSB again.

That 's the kind of result which made the entire loooooong project worthwhile to me. Thank you for saying that.
Joecairo wrote:It's so much fun being able to load up on whatever you want without making any sacrifices.

It sure is!
Joecairo wrote:Plus those bad boys look AMAZING.

On behalf of Darkstar, thank you again. :) While I devised the visual standards, he was the one who refined them and then transformed them from text into pictures.
Joecairo wrote:I seem to be having the most success with the Anaconda so far, planning to get into the Senator next.

LOL! I'm not surprised; the Anaconda is the largest of the four. :D The Senator is my personal favorite; don't scratch the paint - I just had it detailed! And be sure to bring it home with a full tank of anti-deuterium before you park it. I hate going out to hunt down Rebels and having to stop at the filling-station on my way to the fighting front. :P
Joecairo wrote:Now we need some Dreadnought challenges!

If I can suss out the correct usage of package files, that may be in a not-too-distant future version of the mod. Stay tuned.

Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:35 pm

spillblood wrote:Nice mod. It's almost like an official expansion.

Thanks, mate!
spillblood wrote:If you could include some single player maps with dreadnoughts on the enemy's side it would be absolutely perfect.

That's on my list; I know that not everyone can conveniently do online challenges. Single-player offline missions are coming -- I thank you in advance for your patience. I wanted to see if this mod would be viewed by others either as a noble eagle in flight or as a silly frog sitting on a treestump, before going to such additional efforts.

There are definitely more tricks up this modding magician's sleeve concerning the Classic Dreadnoughts...

Vazeron1
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Vazeron1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:45 pm

*awestruck*

I just wanna say, that I really want to read a GSB Fanfic right now. 'Cause that was incredible. Not only are the dreadnaughts superb, but I LOVED The backstory. Like, you NEVER see serious literary ability on the web, and damn if that wasn't impressive xD
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:07 pm

Vazeron1 wrote:....
*awestruck*

I just wanna say, that I really want to read a GSB Fanfic right now. 'Cause that was incredible. Not only are the dreadnaughts superb, but I LOVED The backstory. Like, you NEVER see serious literary ability on the web, and damn if that wasn't impressive xD

Thanks for such high praise, Vazeron. When it comes to expressing my thoughts, I hold myself to a high standard. Enjoy the mod as well as the richly-detailed histories connected to it. They're both different verses to the same song. ;)

Cen2050
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Cen2050 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:04 am

@ Vaezron1: you are not the only one that was inspired by those histories. They are superb pieces of prose. Well written, informative, and in no way shape or form boring.

Long ago Archduke wrote tiny little blurbs of material for the original versions of his dreadnaughts. And even then, the few paragraphs of text he used were brilliant. Short and to the point while nonetheless carrying all the information we needed to read...They were what inspired me to write the Union stories for my own mod.

If you want to read a fanfic (I totally do too lol) I suggest you turn your attention to my Union mod (seems very few people are) there's a 5-part story arc already done with MORE comming! I even use the Senator-class IN mine, with Archduke's permission of course!
Vazeron1
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Vazeron1 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:06 am

xD Indeed I have, as it happens. I believe I was actually the first one to reply to that thread *feels undeservedly proud for being online by chance at the time*
I indeed liked them too as it happens, though I generally liked the more... shall we say, formal? Nature of these ones xD
In any event, Union is superb, though as always there are balance issues (cough3000armourcough, though I believe that issue was resolved, at least according to 123stw). I'm going to have to see whether the Resolute can take on a few of these. Should be an interesting fight, no?
spillblood
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby spillblood » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:19 am

Archduke Astro wrote:
spillblood wrote:Nice mod. It's almost like an official expansion.

Thanks, mate!
spillblood wrote:If you could include some single player maps with dreadnoughts on the enemy's side it would be absolutely perfect.

That's on my list; I know that not everyone can conveniently do online challenges. Single-player offline missions are coming -- I thank you in advance for your patience. I wanted to see if this mod would be viewed by others either as a noble eagle in flight or as a silly frog sitting on a treestump, before going to such additional efforts.

There are definitely more tricks up this modding magician's sleeve concerning the Classic Dreadnoughts...

Thanks Astro, single player challenges will sure be great, but until they are included, I can already use the dreadnoughts in the other single player missions (when I've gained enough honour to unlock them in the single player missions, that's where Uni-T and Union should come in handy, I've already solved all the original missions on hard, and all the expansion pack scenarios at least on medium, so I need those additional campaigns to gain honor).

Anyway, it's great to have additional stuff (scenarios, ship hulls, modules) for single player!

Will the official expansion pack races (Tribe, Swarm, Nomads, Order) also get dreadnoughts?

Would be great if all official races would have one.

Return to “Gratuitous Modding”