[MOD] **Classic Dreadnoughts** now in service!

Welcome to the shipyards. Here you can discuss how to re-calibrate the positronic neutron flow to double power to the aft shields. Or you can discuss how to add new ships, new maps, new scenarios, new modules, etc. have fun!
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Re: [MOD] **Classic Dreadnoughts** now in service!

Postby cliffski » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Yeah download counters are awkward to do, I wish it could be done in just straight html :(
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:53 pm

cliffski wrote:Ok this is my sample page:
http://positech.co.uk/gratuitousspaceba ... ughts.html

Nice! That's a good start for the project. Thanks, Cliff. :)

cliffski wrote:I'm very happy to swap out the description, and the screenshots for better replacements if the mod author would like to supply them. I also updated the download link so it's in the same folder as the other mods I've started hosting. Once people are happy with that page, I can do some others and start linking to them from everywhere, and hopefully drive some more mod downloads.

I'm in the process of creating new screenshots that I'm happier with. Once that's done, I want to write some stronger text that gives a better (though brief) capsule description of my mod. I'll give you a shout once those are ready to be sent to you.
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞
Glich
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Glich » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:34 pm

hmmm.. well, as an entirely new player who more or less just joined up from the last steam sale.. this looks like a wonderful idea :3 I'm deffenatly lookin forward to dreadnoughts of different races, if for no other reason then why SHOULDN'T they get some gigantic sized love.. :3

keep up the good work! if you want some help brainstorming or whatever at least, don't hesitate to ask- I don't have much goin on these days unfortunately, and i could do worse then helping out a well-appreciated modder.
Vek
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

I have a huge white square posing as a dreadnaught.

Postby Vek » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:21 am

How did I screw this up?

I'm computer Gump.
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:53 am

Vek wrote:How did I screw this up?

At this point there are 134 possible ways that you have inadvertantly not installed the mod correctly.

To help narrow down the possibles, could you please give some more information
- What System are you operating in: (ancient by the sounds of your previous post)
- Did you get the game through Steam or Positech: (help determine where the game is installed)
Once we know these two things we can start reducing the possibilities and have your dreadnoughts up and operational.

Side note: have a read through this thread and you may find the answer already in here
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
-=Modding Guru & Egon Spengler of the Friendly Community Mod Squad=-
Vek
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby Vek » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:59 pm

I'm running Windows Vista home premium. I got the game through positech.

I'll read though the thread when I get home from work.

Thanks for the help.
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:48 pm

Vek wrote:I'm running Windows Vista home premium.

If you're running Vista then you're at least on a late-model Pentium 4. . .and here i thought your machine was a fossil like mine.
At this point it is important to know two locations - the first is where the ship design files, saved deployments, configurations etc are located. In your case it's:
- \My Documents\My Games\GratuitousSpaceBattles\

Vek wrote:I got the game through positech.

The second location you need to know is where you need to place the mods, this location is determined where you installed the game. If you cant remember have a look for GSB.exe
- \Gratuitous Space Battles\

Vek wrote:I'll read though the thread when I get home from work.

Some very important threads to note. . .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As you are running on a Windows PC, please double-check that you downloaded the PC version of the mod. This is because Archduke Astro provided 2 versions of this mod; one for the PC and one for the Mac.

From the thread's original post:

Archduke Astro wrote:>> DOWNLOADING THE MOD.......

CLASSIC DREADNOUGHTS, version 1.00 for Windows --
download link:

New Primary Link ----->> http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1r61dsm1123i2sd

MIRROR LINK via Positech -- thank you, Cliffski! :)
http://www.positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles/media/Classic%20Dreadnoughts%20v1.00.zip

Classic Dreadnoughts, version 1.00 for Mac OS X --
download link:

New Primary Link ----->> http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ho843x6ylsqgl3p

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you have downloaded the file, in theory when you open the zip file in Winrar you should see 3 folders afterwards:

-Classic DN's
-data
-History of the Classic Dreads.

In theory, if you drag n drop the folders into the c:\Program Files\Gratuitous Space Battles\
it will create the directory structure exactly like I mentioned above . .

To double check the extraction process, navigate to:
\Gratuitous Space Battles\Classic DNs\data\bitmaps\ships\federation\Federation Lion Dreadnought\
and there should be 3 .DDS files there.

Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
Vek
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby Vek » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:50 am

Mine is a little different.

its-Gratuitous Space Battles\Classic Dreadnoughts\Classic DNs\data\bitmaps\ships\federation\Federation Lion Dreadnought\ and 3 DDS files.

I chose the PC version.

Mine is also in program files\gsb etc. Do I have to move it to my games? That doesn't make a difference does it?

Ok, I got it. I just copied the fed lion dread file into the regular games fed ship folder list. It's a thing of beauty.
Last edited by Vek on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:56 am

Question, did you extract the files manually or just draged and drop from the RAR file ?
Reason why I ask is that i would say the folders are messed up based on your directory path.
(I would say that if you dragged the Classic DNs into your GSB directory it will work)
Vek
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby Vek » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:05 am

Sorry darkstar, too many edits to my prior post. I got it working.
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:08 am

Vek wrote:Sorry darkstar, too many edits to my prior post. I got it working.

No worries :)

Remember, the Classic DNs is just the tip of the iceburg in what the modding community has on offer.
AlphaOne
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby AlphaOne » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:44 pm

The mod looks cool, but I never expected such an extensive and brilliantly-written backstory when I opened this page. The lore was amazingly immersive! At times I felt like I was reading a Wookiepedia page summarizing some part of the Thrawn trilogy, this is some truly amazing stuff.
Black--snow
Type II Robot
Type II Robot

Postby Black--snow » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:12 pm

AlphaOne wrote:The mod looks cool, but I never expected such an extensive and brilliantly-written backstory when I opened this page. The lore was amazingly immersive! At times I felt like I was reading a Wookiepedia page summarizing some part of the Thrawn trilogy, this is some truly amazing stuff.

The mod's playable content as well as its backstory is magnificent, is it not? All praise to Archduke Astro.
antonioaiello1992
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby antonioaiello1992 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:48 pm

I'm on a Windows PC, running the Steam version of GSB. I've downloaded the Windows mod, and I've tried to install it various times, but whenever I do so, the game invariably crashes on startup. I have no other mods installed and I haven't mucked around with the game files, so it must be something to do with how I'm installing the mod. Could someone confirm that the current link is the latest version, compatible with the latest GSB version on Steam, and walk me through installing the Dreadnought mod?

Thanks!
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:03 pm

Greetings antonioaiello1992 and welcome to the forums.

Let's take a look at installing this awesome mod into your Steam copy of GSB.

As far as I am aware, all of these links are still current:

From the original post :
Archduke Astro wrote:
CLASSIC DREADNOUGHTS, version 1.00 for Windows --
download link:

New Primary Link ----->> http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1r61dsm1123i2sd

Classic Dreadnoughts, version 1.00 for Mac OS X --
download link:

New Primary Link ----->> http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ho843x6ylsqgl3p

Once you have downloaded the file, open the file in WinRAR and you will see 3 folders:

-Classic DN's
-data
-History of the Classic Dreads.

Drag and drop the 3 folders into wherever Steam holds the game ( for example - c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\Gratuitous Space Battles\ ) .

Make sure you drag the folders so it creates the directory structure as mentioned above . .

To double-check the extraction process, navigate to:

c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\Gratuitous Space Battles\Classic DNs\data\bitmaps\ships\federation\Federation Lion Dreadnought\

and there should be 3 DDS files.

Start the game, click on the Fleet HQ tab, then click on the Hulls tab and there should be 4 new ships waiting for you..

Return to “Gratuitous Modding”