[MOD] **Classic Dreadnoughts** now in service!

Welcome to the shipyards. Here you can discuss how to re-calibrate the positronic neutron flow to double power to the aft shields. Or you can discuss how to add new ships, new maps, new scenarios, new modules, etc. have fun!
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: [MOD] **Classic Dreadnoughts** now in service!

Postby darkstar076 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:24 pm

Kemp wrote:Not to invade the conversation, but those match up with what I have in Steam. Spike's should be the same, all being well.

Excelent, thanks Kemp, as i mentioned - i am unfamiliar with steam so it wouldn't hurt to have input from another expert :)
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
-=Modding Guru & Egon Spengler of the Friendly Community Mod Squad=-
Spike
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Spike » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:37 pm

darkstar076 wrote:As i am not familiar with the steam setup, i will need your help Spike.

Could you confirm for me the following directories exist:
/steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles/data/installs/ <- you should see the DLC txt files here

and any one of the following:
/steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles/parasites/
/steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles/nomads/
/steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles/swarm/
/steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles/order/
/steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles/tribe/

If your directory structure is the same then (in theory) to make the mods work you need
/steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles/data/installs/Classic DNs.txt <- this tells GSB that it has a new module/dlc
/steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles/Classic DNs/ <- in here should be a /data/ folder, inside that data folder will be the mod content

From my notes when installing mods into steam GSB, these are the paths that steam use, so if you could confirm or let me know what you have for your setup.
Once we determine your particular Steam setup, we will be able to get this mod working.

All sorted! First of all thanks for the quick and accurate help, much appreciated. The problem was that in steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles there was a folder called 'Classic Dreadnoughts v1.00' which contained the data/installs/classic DNs.txt and also the Classic DNs folder so i moved classic DNs.txt from that folder and into /steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles/data/installs/ and moved the Classic DNs folder into /steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles. Thanks again for the help, without knowing what the game was looking for I would have had no chance. :)
"This calls for a very special blend of psychology ... and EXTREME VIOLENCE!"
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:48 am

I will consider locking this thread until I have additional progress to report on the advancement of the Classic Dreadnoughts. What's being planned and refined is HUGE enough, and has had its scope CHANGE enough, that it's not going to grace the forum for some time yet. I am keenly aware of how long it's been since the expansions were first undertaken, and I apologize for the delays.

However, in the words of John Lennon, "life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." :/ I've had much more than my fair share of bad luck outside of this game and my modding efforts have been delayed as a result of this. I also have an obligation to a couple of other players who I'm working with, and that's an activity which also takes precedence (for the moment) over my own projects right now.

I don't want this thread to simply be a magnet for "is it ready yet?" kinds of posts. Alas, those don't help me speed up development.

However, questions or notes concerning problems you might be having when installing the present version of this mod are welcomed!

For now, this thread needs to go to sleep for a while.
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:07 am

What do I see in the future of this mod?

Somewhere off in the obscure reaches of coal-black emptiness, vast engines of war continue their slumber. Checked and cleaned by an army of maintenance 'bots and a tiny but fanatic cadre of organic caretakers, the Classic Dreadnoughts experience an uneasy sleep. Their rest is filled with electronic dreams of the terawatt-range mayhem that will ensue once they awaken.

And the unsuspecting populations of many star-nations (both large and small) and thousands of developed worlds continue their own dream, a waking dream: that violence from the skies can never possibly touch them again.

The former dream will come true.

Then the latter dream will end; suddenly, cruelly.

For now, both dreams remain just that: visions of a future not yet arrived.

But, however slowly, morning is coming. Enjoy the midnight peace while you can, o citizen of a Great Power.

Let the galaxy beware the dawn.

FirroSeranel
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Having trouble installing Classic Dreadnoughts

Postby FirroSeranel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:19 am

Help!

I'm trying to install Classic Dreadnoughts. I'm running Windows 7 x64, and I have the Steam version of the game.

I tried extracting the Classic Dreadnoughts v1.00 file to my game directory (program files x32/steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles), but it didn't put the Classic DNs file into the Data directory as I suspect it should have, and it left a lot of ._filename files everywhere, which I assume are supposed to be a tag to help a program like WinZIP know where to put stuff. Apparently Windows 7's inherent ability to unzip files doesn't obey those, so...

Does anyone know where I should actually put the files? Should I move each race's bitmaps etc into the appropriate folders for that race? I could do that, but the installation instructions say that the rest of the mod's files should live in the Classic DNs directory.

Or, is there anything like a mod manager for this game? Obviously I haven't done any modding of GSB yet.
FirroSeranel
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Re: Having trouble installing Classic Dreadnoughts

Postby FirroSeranel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:38 am

Ah. I think I figured it out.
dafrandle
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby dafrandle » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:02 pm

thought id let you know, your pictures died
having a job has allowed me to understand why Archduke Astro has no time to work on his mods
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:31 pm

I already saw that, but thanks anyhow -- I must wait until I have a large enough block of time to switch over to a new imagehost and re-upload all graphics.

Well, for a free imagehost my old one was worth every dollar I spent on it. :D

dafrandle
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby dafrandle » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:12 pm

have you considered making dreadnoughts for the DLC races? i think i speak for many when i say pleeeeeease dooo
having a job has allowed me to understand why Archduke Astro has no time to work on his mods
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:44 pm

dafrandle wrote:have you considered making dreadnoughts for the DLC races? i think i speak for many when i say pleeeeeease dooo

Thanks for asking! All that I can say publicly at this time is: the subject is under careful consideration.

Cen2050
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Cen2050 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:10 pm

*Admiral Bianco buries his head in his hand* "Great...MORE Dreadnought-class hulls...just when I thought the galaxy couldn't GET more screwed"
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:52 pm

No need for you or anyone else to be gripped with foreboding, speculation or worry; people are putting the cart waaaaay ahead of the horse, and here's why....

Real life has been a huge f'ing drag for me for well over a year now, and I am mired into several simultaneous sets of interlocking obligations & problems serious enough that I don't even have an estimate for when anything further is going to be available to the public. I could be forced to eat my words via unexpected developments, though.....believe me, I'd be thrilled to have time to work on this sort of hobby stuff at a rate faster than that of watching snails do drag-racing.

The only thing that is certain right now is that my modding is not yet dead. I aim to keep it that way, as long as the real-life cost doesn't become any higher than I can afford. That's why I refuse to discuss my own incomplete modding in any measurable detail, and shy away from the kind of between-modders banter which one would otherwise prefer.

Even going so far as to say (as in my reply above to dafrandle) that I was seriously considering some specific modding point is a kind of admission which I am uncomfortable doing. My firmness in not engaging in such discussion is not a lack of interest in others' interest here, nor is it my own disinterest in my own mod -- I want to make that very clear in a way that leaves no hard feelings.

It's deeply dismaying & frustrating to me, personally, not to be at liberty to comment about these things outside of a few intentionally very vague statements. I refuse to inadvertently get the community fired-up prematurely, or even wrongly about some feature, thing, etc. which may actually not end up in the finished product after all. I humbly thank the GSB community for its interest as well its patience. I am honestly not sitting here on top of a massive pyramid of fan mail, cackling in egotistical glee, as I scheme to lead my mod's devoted fans around Hell's half-acre again and again for as long as possible. :P

Despite the fact that these forums are pretty dead, I know that there is still considerable persistent guessing on the part of many persons about the mysterious jewel I've been cutting and polishing in such painful slowness. I appreciate that and really am grateful for it, but being the focus of other people's modding desires, hopes and pleadings is also sometimes terribly draining emotionally and does not help me concretely advance my work. [-deep sigh-] When this content of mine is ready, well, that's when it's ready. As a global moderator, I am keenly aware of the vast graveyard of incomplete, abandoned GSB mods out there and the broken dreams they represent.....I'm determined not to add to that.

Well, that was a fairly unhappy post. Such was not my intent. :/ At least I think I clarified some things to a degree which is hopefully useful to others, and without accidentally giving offense or being misleading.

[-comes back to reread this post-]

Oh God. Have to end on a better note than that. All that time, spent trying to talk about why I can't talk about the things I want to talk about, and trying and failing at not being depressing from top to bottom. Right now it sounds like Archduke Solo's being frozen in carbonite and being whisked off to Modder the Hutt. What do i say instead??? Uhhhh.....puppies. Yeah. Puppies are cute. And I like butter-pecan ice cream. What else? Just this; it seems very appropriate right now:

[peter quincy taggart]
Never give up! Never surrender!
[/peter quincy taggart]

dafrandle
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby dafrandle » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:17 pm

off topic
Archduke Astro wrote:Real life has been a huge f'ing drag for me for well over a year now, and I am mired into several simultaneous sets of interlocking obligations & problems serious enough that I don't even have an estimate for when anything further is going to be available to the public

Washington in a nut shell.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On topic(?)
what the heck is butter-pecan ice cream
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:39 pm

dafrandle wrote:off topic
Archduke Astro wrote:Real life has been a huge f'ing drag for me for well over a year now, and I am mired into several simultaneous sets of interlocking obligations & problems serious enough that I don't even have an estimate for when anything further is going to be available to the public

Washington in a nut shell.

An all-too-accurate analogy.

dafrandle wrote:On topic(?)
what the heck is butter-pecan ice cream

Oh man, do I have to do everything around here??? :P Read that, please; the stuff is delicious. :)

Amphouse
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby Amphouse » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:00 am

Mmmmmmm, butter pecan...do you like Ben & Jerry's or...whoops, getting off topic.

Anyways, no worries Astro, I'm sure the 5 people who still browse these forums can wait. I certainly can. It's better than a rushed project at any rate.

Oh, and thanks for the PM you sent me last month. I've sent a reply.

Return to “Gratuitous Modding”