[MOD] **Classic Dreadnoughts** now in service!

Welcome to the shipyards. Here you can discuss how to re-calibrate the positronic neutron flow to double power to the aft shields. Or you can discuss how to add new ships, new maps, new scenarios, new modules, etc. have fun!
N3MES1S
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: [MOD] **Classic Dreadnoughts** now in service!

Postby N3MES1S » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:53 am

123stw wrote:
Basically, big cost cut with big hull boost is a bad idea, because that means I can spam guns/cheap modules for HP, and skip defense entirely. Armor Boost > 0.2 also tends to be bad. If the goal is to make them expensive giants, don't give them cost cuts. Give them more of other things (except armor).

Hmm.. im afraid i cant understand this... u can skip defense on any hull type, not only on these, and it is supossed a super ship is based on high hp.. so wats the problem of spamming modules for hp?? isnt that the point (as well as others)?? y is armour boost > 0.2 bad?? lol. Please, explain so we can understand the GSB much better ^^ wat is the difference between make a ship to cost 1000 base credits+negative cost bonuse or adding a positive cost bonuse with standard base cost??

Y u said if u want a expensive giant, give it other things except armour?? wats the point then?? a super cruiser without armour is exactly the same fragile ship like any standard cruiser.. thats the reason u need more hp??

I know, in extra-power mods, its better to have a cost bonus on the ship cuz it will make expensive modules to be more expensive as well if u want to use em, and with "regular" ships or vanilla races ...maybe this is pointles... but y??
Cen2050
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Cen2050 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:10 pm

Archduke, I have very little I can say that can express the sheer epicness of your dreadnaught history lesson! it was absolutely phenomonal and I adored reading every single word! Darkstar did a WONDERFUL job on the hulls of these classic, wonderful and amazing ships you originally concocted.

Thank you for the inspiration to make my own ships...it's been more than a year in the making...but Union is FINALLY DONE, and will be posted tonight! I can't wait until the forums all see what you've actually inspired!

And let's not forget, I included the Senator-class dreadnaughts in my story I'll be reposting all 4 stories in sequence, with new images before a 5th story and the link to download Union!
ponyus
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby ponyus » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:56 pm

seems im the only one who cant see the pictures... wierd...

anywho... awesome work! seems the myths of these ancient creations were true afterall!!

just gonna, you know, clickiddy clack that linkidy!

btw, i might borrow some parts of your rebel ships and glue some order to them. full credit to you and darkstar ofcourse!
Gameplay Designer and balancing wizard for Gratuitous Space Battles 2

to me "gratuitous" means "awesome"

Winner of the 2011 community mod contest
123stw
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby 123stw » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:35 pm

Archduke Astro wrote:
123stw wrote:Well I dont know what to make of all this..

Hi and welcome, 123stw. The multiple posts prior to yours make everything clear.

123stw wrote:if this is going to be official in any way,

It is not. I'm really curious what brought you to that assumption; care to share?

123stw wrote:then I guess I should comment on the balance issues.

Sure, I enjoy feedback. But you make it sound like I committed some repellent social faux pas.

I really have to ask: is your misunderstanding of Cliff's words also serving as some passive-aggressive way of saying that you're simply dying to comment upon balance issues here? Please just do so, then. Prior to today I thought you and I were on friendly terms, but now reading your latest I'm somewhat unsure because of your scornful not-very-friendly tone.

123stw wrote:So immediate glance suggest that with some effort, the fed hull can be stupidly overpowered. as in, totally terrible. here's an example

123stw wrote:Or take the Alliance one; it's just as terrible

I assure you that I welcome candor, but it really helps if your candor is not phrased in such in-your-face snotty tones. I've seen you openly post that way about other players' mods and that style is not constructive. Frankly, it's rude; I thought you were better than that.

Look, in order to head off any other snark from you, I'll be a mensch and openly state that this mod is presently neither complete nor conclusive. It's brand-new -- of course it's not perfect, 123stw. FWIW, the purely factual content of your objections is mostly valid and I intend to make use of them in a later revision. :)

Yes, there's still a great deal more work to accomplish here. Since the planned scope of this mod's creative content completely dwarfs this modest effort that I've just released, I'm honestly pleased to receive feedback from players who have played it.

But there's a certain clear undercurrent of worry in your thought that Cliff was going to make my Classic Dreadnoughts official. Why is that? Does your unease extend beyond the mere imbalances of the moment? Why does my mod actually bother you? [-puzzled-] Please help me understand, because right now I have difficulty detecting whether your unease & your dismissive attitude is my problem or whether it's your own problem. More decorum on your part would help a lot, 123stw. I expect some sincere disagreement (which is fine), but never rudeness. :(

I ask that because I've obviously made a nontrivial (indeed, strenuous) creative effort that encompasses much more than mere juggling of digits and fretting about edge cases, and I find it informative that the sole thing you choose to immediately post about is balance. If such thoughts of yours -- and I know you're very talented at this way of analysis; your efforts are potentially very valuable to my mod -- were part of a broader set of reactions to the Classic Dreadnoughts mod, backstory, artwork, fiction, etc.,as well as to the gameplay-specific content, that would earn my gratitude. Truly. But it's looking as if this is not meant to be.

There's really nothing else here that interests you? Nothing at all, 123stw??? :( I find that really unfortunate as well as surprising. You yourself are no stranger to creating your own original mod content...

You already know that my imperatives for creating, formatting and sharing this content have little to do with the kind of rampant minimaxing that others might enjoy doing. I thank you for your specific comments re:balance - I do; no sarcasm on my part - but I also strongly urge you, most sincerely, to come back again expressly to stop and smell the metaphoric roses, too. :) You're going to miss a great deal of what makes this mod interesting if you disdain them.

That's not really it. Put it this way, I am really only qualify to make comments on balance, maybe the aesthetic. You're right - I guess I could have expressed myself much better than I did. sorry.

Fictions, or writing in general, are just not my thing at all. They never have been. Not your fault.

N3MES1S wrote:
123stw wrote:
Basically, big cost cut with big hull boost is a bad idea, because that means I can spam guns/cheap modules for HP, and skip defense entirely. Armor Boost > 0.2 also tends to be bad. If the goal is to make them expensive giants, don't give them cost cuts. Give them more of other things (except armor).

Hmm.. im afraid i cant understand this... u can skip defense on any hull type, not only on these, and it is supossed a super ship is based on high hp.. so wats the problem of spamming modules for hp?? isnt that the point (as well as others)?? y is armour boost > 0.2 bad?? lol. Please, explain so we can understand the GSB much better ^^ wat is the difference between make a ship to cost 1000 base credits+negative cost bonuse or adding a positive cost bonuse with standard base cost??

Y u said if u want a expensive giant, give it other things except armour?? wats the point then?? a super cruiser without armour is exactly the same fragile ship like any standard cruiser.. thats the reason u need more hp??

I know, in extra-power mods, its better to have a cost bonus on the ship cuz it will make expensive modules to be more expensive as well if u want to use em, and with "regular" ships or vanilla races ...maybe this is pointles... but y??

Because beyond 20% makes it very easy to push ship with over 73 base defense while still maintaining firepower, or simply push defense over 100 and make it practically immune to beam as well. If you want some kind of controllable survivability, hull and shield is the way to go.

A normal armor tank with 70ish defense 1 missile cost over 3000, and people are complaining about that. Here with Alliance Dreadnought you can have a ship with 2 beam, 2 plasma, repair, and 76.41 defense at 3545. There are also no real hit rate difference from Templar or Hareeb. So yeah, armor tank with guns at no extra cost, go figure.

Armor become impractical when you actually fill the module slot because of how armor resistance is calculated. You really can't make them useful on a full dreadnought without making some mostly empty uber armor tank with guns. This is a major problem with Earth Alliance too, armor fleet can be made with EALCS Sentinels which is impossible to beat by the stock race. I just never mentioned it because people tends to react negatively when I mention balance. Maybe i was rude to them, too. That would explain it. I'll try better.
Kemp
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Kemp » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:44 pm

I came here because Cliff linked it, thinking "This should be interesting, let's hope Randy didn't destroy a server farm trying to edit some of his crazy ships". Then I noticed it was the Archduke himself posting, and I realised I was in for something awesome that had presumably been in the works much longer than I thought. I wasn't disappointed. The problem is that I was going to make a post about the awesomeness of the ships and the fluff, but then I noticed my name. Now I don't know what to say, honestly. That was actually the most unexpected thing that has happened to me in a while. *bows to Archduke* You honour me, sir.

But seriously, freakin' epic. That is all I have to say on the matter.
GSBEdit - http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6121
Restricted Vanilla Modules - http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6230 (obsolete)
Lonestar
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Lonestar » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:23 pm

*picks up jaw from the floor and walks over to a mirror to put it back in place and then comes back."

HOLY COW This and Union has been released while i was off messing around. I have to get this and try it out. Wow and the story and background goodness That took a like to get it right. And is making me rethink a few things. I AM Glad that you got this done.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:29 am

I've mirrored the download file here:

http://www.positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles/media/Classic%20Dreadnoughts%20v1.00.zip

Because these 'anonymous download sites' can be unreliable as hell
Cheers
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:23 am

Thank you, Cliff! :)
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞
Eich
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Eich » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:17 pm

All your pics are down! Plz reupp I want to see the awesomeness! ;)
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:50 pm

Eich wrote:All your pics are down! Plz reupp I want to see the awesomeness! ;)

Believe me, Eich, I want you and everyone to see the awesomeness! :D The way in which my various free image-hosting websites were failing under the strain is highly embarrassing. However, the fact that it's happening due to overwhelming interest in my Classic Dreadnoughts -- interest coming from these varied sources:

* other players who frequent this forum

* by everyone who read Cliffski's wonderful blog post about my mod

* the even wider population who received his tweet about the subject

-- fills me with surprise and joy. :) From a certain point of view, I'm very happy to have this problem. My mod thread was "Slashdotted"! :P

Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:36 pm

UPDATE: Are any other players in Europe still having trouble viewing the images I posted on page 1 of the thread? With both ponyus (in Sweden) and Eich (in Germany) reporting problems -- and Eich's viewing problem is happening even after I've refreshed the thread and can view ALL images of mine again -- this makes me wonder if there's a different source for the trouble.

The image host that's serving those pics has a daily bandwidth limit for every single image, and once 24 hours had passed since I posted the final image in the thread, I refreshed the thread in my browser tab and all of them are viewable to me again. I suspect some sort of caching fault or traffic-shaping, but I'm no network engineer.
Last edited by Archduke Astro on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Praetors
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Praetors » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:48 pm

I'm from Argentina and i can't see them, sadly Px
PI: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5698
TP: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6928
TG: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7659

Engineer of the Friendly Community Mod Squad.
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:58 pm

Praetors wrote:I'm from Argentina and i can't see them, sadly Px

Damn! I'm sorry, Praetors. You're the third non-USA member of this forum to have trouble here. :( And yet Darkstar (in Australia) and Aradia (in the UK) could view the pics. It's a mystery!

I'm going to investigate a few alternatives. Will report back later if I have any success with it.

ponyus
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby ponyus » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:02 pm

seems like your interwebz doesnt like non english speaking countries :p
Gameplay Designer and balancing wizard for Gratuitous Space Battles 2

to me "gratuitous" means "awesome"

Winner of the 2011 community mod contest
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:10 pm

ponyus wrote:seems like your interwebz doesnt like non english speaking countries :p

I'll be certain to send a strongly-worded letter to ICANN to register my anger and disappointment with their interwebtron thingy. Perhaps I'll have it hand-delivered by a formation of Fed. Lion dreadnoughts? :D Nooooo, that might get me in trouble... :/ Instead, I'll pursue other options for image hosting.

Return to “Gratuitous Modding”