[MOD] **Classic Dreadnoughts** now in service!

Welcome to the shipyards. Here you can discuss how to re-calibrate the positronic neutron flow to double power to the aft shields. Or you can discuss how to add new ships, new maps, new scenarios, new modules, etc. have fun!
Lonestar
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: [MOD] **Classic Dreadnoughts** now in service!

Postby Lonestar » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:00 am

AcePalarum wrote:
Archduke Astro wrote:I can see a light at the end of this tunnel, though. :)

It's Friday the 13th ... Better make sure that light isn't the headlamp on the train. ;)

Hey that's my family's saying You can't have it! :p
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:01 am

Lonestar wrote:
AcePalarum wrote:
Archduke Astro wrote:I can see a light at the end of this tunnel, though. :)

It's Friday the 13th ... Better make sure that light isn't the headlamp on the train. ;)

Hey that's my family's saying You can't have it! :p

Oh, you irreverent jokers. Friday the 13th.....sheesh.

It could have been much worse, though; I could have been aboard the Costa Concordia yesterday when it made history in the WORST possible way! :O

But considering the way my luck has been leaning lately, I did make sure to triple-check my updated links before I posted them.
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:30 am

Ladies, gentlemen,
and plucky starship crew of all species
:

It is my very great honor to announce that

my Classic Dreadnoughts mod has just racked up...

..........ONE THOUSAND downloads!!!

I've updated the first post of this thread with today's happy news. :) :) :)

To date, the Windows edition has been downloaded 872 times, and the Mac OS X edition has been downloaded 128 times.

I'm pleased that many more Mac-playing GSBers are using this mod than I assumed would be interested. It's nearly one-seventh the number of the Windows players. Let that be proof to any modder who might think that creating a Mac edition of their mod is a waste of time: if you make it, they will play it.

My heartfelt thanks to all of you who have chosen to play my introductory version of the Great Powers' crucible of fire.

I've celebrated today by putting in several consecutive hours of development work on the mod's next major version. I wish I could talk about it right now, but patience is indeed a virtue. ;)

Praetors
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Praetors » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:21 am

Awesome, man! Did you publish the mod in other forum or something like that or all of those downloads came from here?! if so, im even more impressed!

Also do you have any idea to how to know how many times was downloaded a file in mediafire?
Nevermind, i found the answer...it needs MediaPRO account :/
PI: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5698
TP: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6928
TG: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7659

Engineer of the Friendly Community Mod Squad.
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:25 am

Praetors wrote:Awesome, man! Did you publish the mod in other forum or something like that or all of those downloads came from here?! if so, im even more impressed!

No, it's not available anyplace other than my primary Megaupload links and my secondary Mediafire links. All publicity has been solely through this forum thread, the official Positech blog posting, and Cliffski's twitter feed. No communication channels other than Positech ones have been used to publicize my mod.

Cliffski is also mirroring the Windows download via an official Positech server, just in case my free download sites get taken out by a meteor strike. ;)

Praetors wrote:Also do you have any idea to how to know how many times was downloaded a file in mediafire?
Nevermind, i found the answer...it needs MediaPRO account :/

Well, the mirror links I set up via Mediafire are very recent, so their numbers are also very weak: only 5 downloads each for both Windows and Mac editions, so that's 10 downloads total via Mediafire. That's precisely 1% of the whole. I guess that the Megaupload service has had little difficulty in being reached by players who made the other 99% of the downloads. Of course it's really premature for me to make any truly positive statements -- I just don't have enough data to go on yet. We'll see how Megaupload continues to do the job, but for now I am glad that I finally have set up a working system of Mediafire mirror links.

By the way, Praetors, I do not have a MediaPRO account. The free Mediafire account I opened provides me with a counter that keeps track of total downloads accumulated to date. It's definitely not a fancy or complex feature, but it's all I need.

Praetors
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Praetors » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:34 am

Then i'm very impressed! Awesome man, 1000 downloads, that is a big bunch of people =D (yeah cpt obvious attacks again)

I've published the mod here and in Moddb, but there it has 107 DLs right now (and no idea here, cuz i made a small and way too long to explain mistake with mediafire), wich is more than i was expecting, i thought that just around 30 persons were going to download it xD

About mediafire, i didn't noticed that feature, i have to check, again. xD
PI: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5698
TP: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6928
TG: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7659

Engineer of the Friendly Community Mod Squad.
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:47 am

Praetors wrote:Then i'm very impressed! Awesome man, 1000 downloads, that is a big bunch of people =D (yeah cpt obvious attacks again)

Thank you for the compliment, Praetors; it's kind of you to say so. It's clear that my Classic Dreadnoughts really are:

:P

Praetors wrote:I've published the mod here and in Moddb, but there it has 107 DLs right now (and no idea here, cuz i made a small and way too long to explain mistake with mediafire), wich is more than i was expecting, i thought that just around 30 persons were going to download it xD

About mediafire, i didn't noticed that feature, i have to check, again. xD

I was nicely surprised that I didn't need a paid MediaPRO level of membership.

One more time -- my thanks to everyone who has played the mod, been inspired by the mod, had their assumptions challenged by the mod, and ...most of all... enjoyed the mod.

TheKoyoteKid
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Postby TheKoyoteKid » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:46 pm

Given that MegaUpload is no more, will the Mediafire link now be the primary source for CD?
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:03 am

TheKoyoteKid wrote:Given that MegaUpload is no more, will the Mediafire link now be the primary source for CD?

For the time being. If anyone who wants to play this mod for the first time is having chronic (not acute) difficulty in reaching Mediafire, let me know.

Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:31 am

First post of this thread has been updated in order to deprecate the Megaupload links (which might or might not ever come back online). The Mediafire links are now clearly indicated as being the source of all that's right and proper. ;) Accept no substitutes!

Spike
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Spike » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:36 pm

Joecairo wrote:
darkstar076 wrote:No worries mate, we are here to help :)

I am assuming that when you open the zip file in winrar you see 3 folders
-Classic DN's
-data
-History of the Classic Dreads.

In theory if you drag n drop the folders into the c:\Program Files\Gratuitous Space Battles\
it will create the directory structure like I mentioned above . .

Yessss! You sir (or madam) are an absolute hero. I can't say thanks enough.

Also, thanks to your good self and the Archduke for giving us the chance to design the superships we've always wanted to. Absolutely amazing work on the backstories as well :)

Now to get designing a workable battlestar!

I have the same problem, I unzipped the files into program files/steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles with the other dlc packs, and after reading this thread tried dragging the three files across from winrar. The files all seem to be in the right places as described

darkstar076 wrote:c:\Program Files\Gratuitous Space Battles\data\installs\Classic DNs.txt <<Other install files will be unit and any DLC>>
c:\Program Files\Gratuitous Space Battles\Classic DNs\data\<<top secret stuff>>
c:\Program Files\Gratuitous Space Battles\History of the Classic Dreadnoughts\<<Some real good reading in here>>

Also in your c:\Program Files\Gratuitous Space Battles\ directory is other folders such as DLC like order tribe and other mods like Unity :)

but i'm getting absolutely nada when I run the game, assuming the parasite dlc didn't make any difference I must be doing something wrong- any ideas?
"This calls for a very special blend of psychology ... and EXTREME VIOLENCE!"
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:48 pm

G'Day Spike,

The locations that i mentioned earlier in this post are for people that have purchased the game directly and do not run GSB through Steam. (although i did not mention that in the post - sorry)

From what i understood from your post, you had them in the right location to begin with :)
(program files/steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles with the other dlc packs)

I would recommend you drag them back to the steam apps folder and see if that works.
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
-=Modding Guru & Egon Spengler of the Friendly Community Mod Squad=-
Spike
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Spike » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:48 pm

darkstar076 wrote:G'Day Spike,

The locations that i mentioned earlier in this post are for people that have purchased the game directly and do not run GSB through Steam. (although i did not mention that in the post - sorry)

From what i understood from your post, you had them in the right location to begin with :)
(program files/steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles with the other dlc packs)

I would recommend you drag them back to the steam apps folder and see if that works.

Sorry, my fault for being unclear- i meant to say i tried dragging the 3 files into the steam equivalent of the same location. So i have tried unzipping to, and dragging into, the steam folder for GSB with the other dlc packs but with no success in my case.
"This calls for a very special blend of psychology ... and EXTREME VIOLENCE!"
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:06 pm

As i am not familiar with the steam setup, i will need your help Spike.

Could you confirm for me the following directories exist:
/steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles/data/installs/ <- you should see the DLC txt files here

and any one of the following:
/steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles/parasites/
/steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles/nomads/
/steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles/swarm/
/steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles/order/
/steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles/tribe/

If your directory structure is the same then (in theory) to make the mods work you need
/steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles/data/installs/Classic DNs.txt <- this tells GSB that it has a new module/dlc

/steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles/Classic DNs/ <- in here should be a /data/ folder, inside that data folder will be the mod content

From my notes when installing mods into steam GSB, these are the paths that steam use, so if you could confirm or let me know what you have for your setup.
Once we determine your particular Steam setup, we will be able to get this mod working.
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
-=Modding Guru & Egon Spengler of the Friendly Community Mod Squad=-
Kemp
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Kemp » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:17 pm

Not to invade the conversation, but those match up with what I have in Steam. Spike's should be the same, all being well.
GSBEdit - http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6121
Restricted Vanilla Modules - http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6230 (obsolete)

Return to “Gratuitous Modding”