[MOD] **Classic Dreadnoughts** now in service!

Welcome to the shipyards. Here you can discuss how to re-calibrate the positronic neutron flow to double power to the aft shields. Or you can discuss how to add new ships, new maps, new scenarios, new modules, etc. have fun!
antonioaiello1992
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Re: [MOD] **Classic Dreadnoughts** now in service!

Postby antonioaiello1992 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:31 am

Hmm. I've done that, nothing. The game LOOKS like it's working at first, but before I can get to the main menu it stops working and crashes.

All the files are there, the directory is working fine, but the game doesn't seem to want to work with the mod. Could the problem be with the 00 Files included with the mod? Otherwise, I can't figure out why this isn't working for me.
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:45 am

When it crashes there should be some files in the debug folder (error.txt)
From there we should be able to determine the conflict.
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
-=Modding Guru & Egon Spengler of the Friendly Community Mod Squad=-
antonioaiello1992
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby antonioaiello1992 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:02 am

Hmm. Where is the error.txt supposed to be found? There doesn't seem to be a debug file in my GSB directory...
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:07 am

In theory somewhere around \My Docs\My Games\GSB\Debug\
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
antonioaiello1992
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby antonioaiello1992 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:43 am

12/6/2014 - 17::20 - Ship Hull not found ->Rebel Armageddon Dreadnought:..\src\SIM_ShipHull.cpp 509
12/6/2014 - 17::21 - Ship Hull not found ->Rebel Armageddon Dreadnought:..\src\SIM_ShipHull.cpp 509
12/6/2014 - 17::21 - Ship Hull not found ->Rebel Armageddon Dreadnought:..\src\SIM_ShipHull.cpp 509
12/6/2014 - 17::26 - Ship Hull not found ->Rebel Armageddon Dreadnought:..\src\SIM_ShipHull.cpp 509
12/6/2014 - 17::41 - Ship Hull not found ->Rebel Armageddon Dreadnought:..\src\SIM_ShipHull.cpp 509
12/6/2014 - 17::43 - Ship Hull not found ->Rebel Armageddon Dreadnought:..\src\SIM_ShipHull.cpp 509
13/6/2014 - 6::27 - Ship Hull not found ->Rebel Armageddon Dreadnought:..\src\SIM_ShipHull.cpp 509
13/6/2014 - 6::27 - Ship Hull not found ->Rebel Armageddon Dreadnought:..\src\SIM_ShipHull.cpp 509
13/6/2014 - 6::29 - Ship Hull not found ->Rebel Armageddon Dreadnought:..\src\SIM_ShipHull.cpp 509

Which is strange, cause all the files are there...
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:49 am

What is even stranger is that the Armageddon Dreadnought is not one of the Classic Dreads in the mod. (IIRC)
I would say that you have some designs that are linked to a previous mod.

Could you please:
- navigate to the \My Docs\My Games\GSB\ships\ directory
- create a new directroy called offline
- move all the ships \My Docs\My Games\GSB\ships\ into \My Docs\My Games\GSB\ships\offline\
- run the game again
antonioaiello1992
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby antonioaiello1992 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:10 am

Oh! Right. That'd explain it. The Armageddon was my stupid and terrible attempt at making a new tier of ship, I thought that a clean reinstall would've taken care of that... Although I guess that's the problem with Steam, it only deals with the Steam directory. I've deleted that particular ship design, and everything's working fine now. Thanks for the great help!
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:29 am

Not a problem, that is what we are here for.

Please note, if you would like some help with getting The Armageddon to leave drydock, feel free to start a new thread and outline the issues you are having, there are quite a few friendly modders that still lurk here and I am sure we will be able to help you very quickly.
antonioaiello1992
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Postby antonioaiello1992 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:16 am

Thanks for the offer, but the Armageddon worked fine (it was an OP version of the Valhalla), I simply removed it incompletely when I found the Dreadnought mod. One thing I would like to know, however, is how to increase ship size. The Dreadnought mod seems like it'd be better served if the ships were a tad bigger...
darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:31 am

Hmm, I would advocate against increasing the size of the ships for two reasons:
1) It makes them harder to kill as ships will only open fire once the Centroid of the Ships is within weapons range
2) They might look a little more pixalated than usual

But if you do not mind the drawbacks, then to alter the ship sizes you need to find the hull files located in \Classic DNs\data\hulls\
Open the text files and find the lines:
width = 340
height = 340

Since the image is square, keep these numbers the same
unknownhumanoid
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Postby unknownhumanoid » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:03 pm

What about Swarm, Tribe, Nomads, Parasites, and Order dreadnoughts? Will they be included in a future version? I'd like to play them so hard :D
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:54 am

Hello again, unknownhumanoid; it's nice to see you in my favorite thread. ;)

By the way, have you read the lore-filled posts that I wrote on the first page of this thread? They will truly blow your mind.....after you read them, you will never look at this game the same way again.

If you want to install this mod but have problems doing so, go to my first post on page 1, and scroll down to the "Tech Support for the Mod" section (it's near the end of that post).

====================

unknownhumanoid wrote:What about Swarm, Tribe, Nomads, Parasites, and Order dreadnoughts? Will they be included in a future version? I'd like to play them so hard :D

That's a good question. The subject is covered here. :)

As of this moment, most of the ships you asked for do exist in one form or another, and are in various stages of what I'd consider to be "playable" without crashing the game. The ones that aren't completed are (happily) not impossible to finish. The hull sprites deserve a lot of praise for Modding Guru darkstar076's renowned artistry. I have not compromised on functional quality, either; these dreadnoughts' details were very carefully selected and balanced. But you won't be seeing any of them soon -- please keep reading, because it's a tangled tale to understand.....

Four weeks ago, I wrote a new entry in the "Updates" section at the very bottom of this thread's first post on page 1. Even though it's not yet public, there has been -- and still is -- real progress going on with this incredibly popular mod. That's happening at a slow rate of speed due to my real-life obstacles.

However.....
The other problem (and it's a real shocker for some of you) is that most people do not know that my Classic Dreadnoughts mod -- even with all of the other Great Power DLC navies' dreadnoughts! -- is only a single, small part of a much, MUCH larger and vastly more complex & wonderful mod I have created. This has been my plan ever since the beginning. Quality takes time, but in 2011 I had no clue that it would take so long to get to the final boss fight. I still have not fought my last battle in developing the closely-related "other" mod, but I'm not giving up yet.

Because what I am creating overall is so very strongly inter-connected and inter-dependent, it is not practical or desirable for me to try separating the remaining dreadnoughts (for DLC races) away from the rest of the planned mod content, and then try to release only that small part to the public. I know that most people aren't going to be pleased by that, but it's the way that reality has dictated things. Even as the mod's creator, I personally found it hard -- but necessary -- to accept that. Instead, the dreadnoughts are actually a part of something greater that will offer those superships many more opportunities to shine -- and shine brighter than they ever could have had if they remained as a small, stand-alone mod.

The force that keeps me going despite the delays, the much more toxic pressures on my life outside of this hobby, and the time-eating delays that keep me away from gaming is the certainty that this mod is worth the wait. Believe me, I want it even more than you do! The thing that I have been and still am working on is what I would want to play within GSB if I was marooned on a desert island and could only bring one mod with me.

When the full extent of this titanic project is done, and IF I judge it to be a golden pyramid of win instead of a stinking bucket of fail, then the other dreadnoughts will be revealed at the same time as the rest of this other mod content. I have to sigh about that because when the public sees at the same time what else I have labored to produce, there's a good chance that the remaining DNs might not even seem that interesting by comparison with the full extent of this long-hidden mystery mod. Yeah, really. :P

Anyhow, I will probably keep giving updates as certain meaningful project mile-stones are achieved and passed. Hopefully there will still be interested and patient players around to read them. "So it goes," my friends.
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞
dafrandle
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby dafrandle » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:51 pm

What happens if GSB2 is released before you're finished?

will you just release for gsb1 or will you port it, or get help porting it to gsb2?

also
having a job has allowed me to understand why Archduke Astro has no time to work on his mods
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:14 am

Well dafrandle, there's plenty of CDN modding work to be done here in the present for me to be concentrating upon. Also, thanks for the expression of confidence, "Gabe N" ;)

Just to clarify for everyone how long I've been involved with the many various iterations of this mod, its predecessor, and its successor...
Between September 22, 2009 and today, it's been on my mind for 1,754 days.
That's not the record-setting status I would prefer to be known for -- "Longest Development of a GSB Mod Concept", indeed!
At least I have dedication and patience on my side. As for success, well, we shall see.
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞
Ash19256
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby Ash19256 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:05 pm

This is starting to sound like it will be absolutely EPIC when it's finished! Looks like it may very well outlive the official game itself too. Nothing wrong with that.

Return to “Gratuitous Modding”