Mac Friendly Mods [Gratuitous Mod Pack for Mac! (pg. 5)]

Welcome to the shipyards. Here you can discuss how to re-calibrate the positronic neutron flow to double power to the aft shields. Or you can discuss how to add new ships, new maps, new scenarios, new modules, etc. have fun!

Re: Mac Friendly Mods [NEW MACmod: Scavengers!!]

Postby BowlNwhsprer on Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:14 pm

@shugotenchi: Yeah, I have graphicconverter too but the problem with it is that some modders' files are encrypted differently as .dds files. My mac for some reason can't read them (they display as meshy blocks of black and white). I think if a modder uses gimp, I have to use the same program to convert the files. It's a slow process but I'll try out that hexmonkeysoftware, maybe that'll work.

@everyone else: I'm not sure when I'll have to time convert and upload. Maybe in a few weeks. I am teaching American Civics for A Hawai'i High School's Summer School Program. Really busy. Hope to jump back into the fray soon though!
"Remember, the enemy's gate is down." ~ Andrew "Ender" Wiggin from Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game"
BowlNwhsprer
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Urendi Maleldil on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:06 pm

Are the graphics files the only difference between mods for Mac and mods for PC?
Urendi Maleldil
Ships Engineer (junior)
Ships Engineer (junior)

Postby BowlNwhsprer on Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:27 am

Pretty much. .dds (pc) versus .png (mac). If the PC side ran on .png, it would be totally win/mac friendly!
"Remember, the enemy's gate is down." ~ Andrew "Ender" Wiggin from Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game"
BowlNwhsprer
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Mac Friendly Mods [Help! New Conversions not working!]

Postby BowlNwhsprer on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:04 pm

Hey fellows,

Recently I've jumped back into the fray of GSB after a long hiatus.

Anyway, I found a great new batch converter for mac called "Aorta." It converts great but for some reason I'm given this error message when I open the ship creator screen for the new race that I've converted. In the case below, it is for 123stw's "Ancient vs. Microbe" mod.

If anyone can help me with this issue, it would be muchly appreciate. Once I get 123stw's permission, I'll upload a broken copy of his AncientsvsMicrobe mod that is affected by this error.
BowlNwhsprer
Admiral
Admiral

Postby BowlNwhsprer on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:23 pm

Just an update folks.

I've scanned through mods that currently work and the files are the same (minus the obvious different mod names and such). The pictures, script, coding, everything seems similar. Maybe it's that I need the newer expansion pack? Could it be the converter? Am I missing key files? Is it the .pkg file? Argh! All these unanswered questions!
BowlNwhsprer
Admiral
Admiral

Postby magnus392 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:50 am

The converter works, I have used it. As far ans the error goes....I would check the race file code and make sure the race name jives with the hull file race names. Don't forget you also have to convert the .dds in the hull codes EXCEPT for the engine glows. If you convert that line of code to "engineglow.png" it will not work. It must retain the .dds extension for whatever reason.
Babylon 5 Mod
http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6946
B5 Shadows Mod - Beta-
http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7103
magnus392
Admiral
Admiral

Postby BowlNwhsprer on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:06 am

I see. I tested it while trying to leave the coding the same (in .dds form) as it worked with the legios mod. I also tried changing everything in coding to .png as well. Didn't know about the engineglow thing. Anywho, didn't work either way. I'll look into the hull / race name bit. Thanks!
BowlNwhsprer
Admiral
Admiral

Postby BowlNwhsprer on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:27 am

Thanks Magnus! The mod works now! :) Much appreciated.
BowlNwhsprer
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Mac Friendly Mods [New Mods soon macfans!]

Postby BowlNwhsprer on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:21 pm

Hey macfans,

Working on 123stw's Ancients vs Microbe mod and GATC's Xedilco mod. I just need author approval and I'll have them available for use soon.

If anyone wants me to convert their mod, let me know. I'll be happy to do so.
BowlNwhsprer
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Praetors on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:14 pm

BowlNwhsprer wrote: I just need author approval and I'll have them available for use soon.

You are going to have problems with that, they are pretty "dead".

Moderators might kill me for saying this, but if you dont recieve any answer i suggest you to just jump that step and share the mac versions, i think that the authors are going to be happy about it anyways, and its not exactly "ideal" to leave dozens (and maybe undreds) of mac users without these excellent pieces of work just for two innactive users, even if they are the authors...
PI: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5698
TP: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6928
TG: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7659

Engineer of the Friendly Community Mod Squad.
Praetors
Admiral
Admiral

Postby BowlNwhsprer on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:47 am

True. I was going to ask Archduke about it but you beat me to the punch. When I get everything finished I'll upload and share. I'll take it down if the author has a problem.
BowlNwhsprer
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Archduke Astro on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:58 am

Here's my thoughts on this subject:

The great majority of the players who authored the mods which are stored here are not going to be coming back. Note carefully that I didn't say that none of them are coming back, though! :P But at this late date in GSB's lifecycle, many of the autumn leaves are already fallen to the ground; our shared spring & summer are far behind us. As recently as September 2011 or so, a few veteran authors of now-classic mods (such as our own honored Eich, of Legios fame from 2009!) were still checking-in with the forum every few months.

But modders like him are the exception and not the rule.

Take GATC, for example. His recently-rediscovered Xedilco mod has apparently had no updates or additions made to it in nearly a year and a half. And GATC hasn't logged-in at these forums in over five months! It's unlikely that he's coming back. Again, it's not impossible that he might, but I would be reluctant to bet on it.

BowlNwhsprer is attempting to make pre-existing modded content available and usable by a whole 'nother set of GSB players: our friends from the Mac side of the universe. They're a small group when compared to the huge majority of players using the (original) Windows edition, but they also paid for the game, and they deserve a better chance to enjoy the many mods that reside here. If BowlNwhsprer is willing to invest his own time and effort to help smooth the way for our often less-than-modding-experienced Mac comrades, then I applaud him.

He is not detracting from the quality of those mods, or altering the creative/aesthetic content of those mods, or removing anything of concern. Instead, he is simply format-shifting them.

I think that the service he's quietly, steadily providing is a valuable one and I strongly encourage him to continue with it. :)
••• Positech GLOBAL MODERATOR / Forum Sheriff •••
________Keeping the forums clean & useful_______
GSB Lore Master / Guardian of the Great Powers' history

∞¢∆……Curator of Creative Concepts for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆¢∞
Archduke Astro
Admiral
Admiral

Postby AcePalarum on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:09 am

I agree with Astro. I'm not a Mac user myself, but I heartily approve of any expanded use horizons for any mod. I would be happy for my current and future mod projects to be converted over to Mac.

The Matmos Rift: http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6621 (Yes, it's the thread here in the forums. Should be enough.) Note: This mod is still a WIP, expected to hopefully be advanced to a "complete" state in the next few months (i.e., you may want to hold off on converting it for a short while).

Admittedly, that's my only current project. I'll be happy to point the way to future mods as they occur.
While my ability to succeed is finite, my capacity for failure knows no bounds.
*Basement Tinkerer and OCD Savant of the Friendly Community Mod Squad*

Mods: Matmos Rift, Antares Expanse, Great Powers Stations
AcePalarum
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Wasabi of IP on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:55 am

As a former Mac user, I remember trying to convert Eich's Scavengers mod by opening every file in Gimp and converting it to .png. I support any effort to streamline this process and I will undoubtedly make any future mods I make come with a Mac version.
That is all.

Apprentice of the Friendly Community Mod Squad
Wasabi of IP
Admiral
Admiral

Location: In a classified location in the general vicinity of the United States.

Postby BowlNwhsprer on Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:58 am

Woah cool. Thanks for the support everyone.

I'll start of Matmos Rift soon Ace, Thanks.

Ancient vs. Microbe (Just got 123stw's PM of consent anyways) should be up in a few moments.

Xedilco (by GATC) soon after I play test it.

Praetorian Industries 1.0 will be up when I buy the parasites expansion (which is what I'm doing right now)
BowlNwhsprer
Admiral
Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Gratuitous Modding