[Guide] GSB Modding 101

Welcome to the shipyards. Here you can discuss how to re-calibrate the positronic neutron flow to double power to the aft shields. Or you can discuss how to add new ships, new maps, new scenarios, new modules, etc. have fun!
Dalan Inithis
Senior Line Worker
Senior Line Worker

Re: [Guide] GSB Modding 101

Postby Dalan Inithis » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:37 am

I tried downloading GIMP after seeing it mentioned on some thread or another,but my computer still doesn't like the .dds files. What should I do?

Edited: I have a Windows computer.
Last edited by Dalan Inithis on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby AcePalarum » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:41 am

Dalan Inithis wrote:I tried downloading GIMP after seeing it mentioned on some thread or another,but my computer still doesn't like the .dds files. What should I do?

If you have a Windows machine, I can vouch for Paint.net as a program that handles the .dds files pretty well. Some of the more GIMP-savvy folk around here may be able to help you if you want to stick with that program. (Never could get it to work worth a hoot myself.)
While my ability to succeed is finite, my capacity for failure knows no bounds.
*Basement Tinkerer and OCD Savant of the Friendly Community Mod Squad*

Mods: Matmos Rift, Antares Expanse, Great Powers Stations
BowlNwhsprer
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby BowlNwhsprer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:10 am

It sounds like you have a mac. PCs should be able to the .dds files, especially with gimp.
"Remember, the enemy's gate is down." ~ Andrew "Ender" Wiggin from Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game"
BowlNwhsprer
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby BowlNwhsprer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:11 am

Thats funny, (Noticed your edit there) I would think that pcs would have an easier time.

Maybe there's a .dds plugin you need to install or something?

Google do your magic!

.dds plugin for GIMP

If this isn't the one (since I'm on a mac), if you go to PROJECT HOME and then look under FEATURED >> DOWNLOADS you'll find what you're looking for I thinks.

Macs use .png files (which are bigger, bit wise) so I didn't need the plugin. Hope this fixes your issues.
"Remember, the enemy's gate is down." ~ Andrew "Ender" Wiggin from Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game"
AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby AcePalarum » Sat May 12, 2012 12:29 am

AcePalarum wrote:Here's a fairly basic question: Has anyone worked out the specifics of how the speed and fuel variables work together? I'm willing to figure it out myself if no one's walked that path, but I figured I'd check to see if that particular wheel has already been invented. :)

After some testing, here is what I have determined on the speed and fuel variables.

fuel = the distance the projectile will travel. (This is irrespective of the projectile's speed.)

Optimizing Weapons

This deals with what I call "effective fire interval" (EF), or the length of time the projectile exists (tying up the launcher) assuming it misses its target.

Missiles

For missiles, there are three variables involved: fuel, missilespeed, and trail_fade_time. The formula for missiles is:

EF = (fuel / missilespeed) + trail_fade_time

It turns out the launcher will actually wait for the missile trail to be gone before firing the next one. If you want the turret to fire as soon as possible after being scrambled, set your fire_interval to the value above.

Plasma

Plasma uses only two variables: fuel and speed. The formula for plasma is:

EF = (fuel X 10) / speed

Thus at speed = 10, your fuel will be the effective interval.

Also, a bit of testing on radiation payloads:

Background info:

Tohron wrote:Just a small comment regarding radiation weapons - I discovered in the process of developing the Collective Heavy Disintegrator that the total_damage stat seems to do nothing - radiation damage seems to involve the radiation_damage value being dealt regularly in decaying amounts until the damage_duration expires.

Kemp wrote:I always considered it a little odd that there was redundancy there, the total damage can only be calculated one way. One question though, does total_damage limit the damage dealt at all? (i.e. it will deal the appropriate damage until damage_duration is over or until it exceeds total_damage.)

Archduke Astro wrote:Very deep indeed -- these appear to be Cliff's only substantial public words on this rather complex & obscure subject. Hopefully this will light a candle to lead the way.

From what I can tell, the total_damage and damage_duration variables don't do anything on their own - they are just shown in the weapon stats block in the design screen. I.e., you have to follow Cliff's formula using radiation_damage and radiation_decay (found at the link in Astro's quote above) to approximate these values for them to be of any use. (At least, during my testing, total_damage and damage_duration failed to limit the rad damage being dealt.)

Hope folks find this stuff useful.

darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:54 pm

If your just starting out and would like to know how to make fighters for your mod, the process is similar to building cruisers and frigates, but it has a few extra parts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To start with, go about your normal shipwrighting and design the:
- Hull
- Damage
- Hulk

However, once you palce a ship in the FIGHTER class you need to have these extra bits.
1) _sprite.dds File: this file provides the damaged look for the ship. It is a combination of the Hull sprite and the Damage sprite placed side by side in the same image. NOTE: It is important to have the name of the Hull file and the _sprite file the same. For example
Federation Falcon Fighter.dds
Federation Falcon Fighter_sprite.dds

Now, when you combine your Hull and Damage file to create the _sprite file. Keep the damage file with the others. It will prove usefull when you use the ship editor and want to place the damage on the ship. (you can do the same for hulks but you then have to rename the hulk texture to your fighter hulk map)

2) The Fighter Hulk Map. In all fighter hull files which leave behind the twisted remains on the battlefield you will find 3 lines similar to this:
hulktexture = federation_hulks.dds
hulkUVstart = 0
hulkUVend = 3
This tells the game that when the fighter goes kaboom, choose a image between the start and end numbers and display that image as the chared remains on screen. So you desire, you can have several hulk images for a single fighter if you desire. (AFAIK - this image is static, there is no way to make it twist and turn like frigates and cruisers.) If you want (and you have the time) each fighter have its own fighter hulk maps so you can have multiple ways (max of 16) for each fighter to meet its demise.

If you use your hulk file (instead of the hulk map) like you normaly would for a cruiser / frigate and leaving out the hulkUVstart/end it will NOT crash the game. However when the ship blows up, nothing will remain apart from some little peices of debris . . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
-=Modding Guru & Egon Spengler of the Friendly Community Mod Squad=-
Praetors
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Praetors » Thu May 17, 2012 2:30 pm

Also, im experimenting with pulseglows on fighters, and seems like works perfectly fine. However it might be a different story for old PCs...
PI: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5698
TP: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6928
TG: positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7659

Engineer of the Friendly Community Mod Squad.
AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby AcePalarum » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:42 pm

OK, here's another query. We know that for the shockwave expanding from an exploding frigate or cruiser that A) more power produced = more damage dealt; and b) larger ship = larger shockwave.

Has anyone figured out the actual relationship between these various values? Specifically, I'm wondering about the ship radius to shockwave radius relationship (since I think we all know that for a ship intended to suicide, the right amount of power is LOTS). I've got an idea for how to do some testing, but I hate to reinvent the wheel if anybody has already been down this path.

War Rocket Ajax
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby War Rocket Ajax » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:54 pm

Hey all,

I'm a little late to the game - but thank the Goons at Something Awful for turning me on to it, because it's great fun without getting too involved, or dull like most "quick fight" kind of games. Anyway, I'm playing around with some basic modding, aesthetics only (at least as long as I have a job that requires me to actually work), and was wondering if the hull code allows shaders to be applied. In other words, can I stick a "shader = ...." line in the hull's text file and add an effect/animation to the ship?

I can do a few things with the order pulseglow, and probably with the engine glow and structural tractors. But - for example - I'd like to have a ship that looks like it's being run by one of Nicola Tesla's gadgets, with lots of "lightning bolt" type animations. Like the alliance lightning gun effect. A shader would work, I think, and I could probably put it together with the NVidia tools, but without a shader, I can't figure out how to animate it at all with the pulseglow, since the image it "glows" is static.

Thanks in advance!!

BTW - AcePalarum, that suicide ship would be one expensive bomb! :D
AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby AcePalarum » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:12 am

Welcome to the forums War Rocket Ajax!

War Rocket Ajax wrote:BTW - AcePalarum, that suicide ship would be one expensive bomb! :D

Expensive, yes, but also effective. I know both the Uni-T and Praetorian Industries mods have power plants for the express purpose of making ships go satisfyingly KABOOM. I can testify to the nastiness of the Uni-T brand - try the Point Blank survival mission included with the mod and you'll see the end result.

And I'm guessing the extended silence means there hasn't been any directed research at this point, so I suppose I'll charge ahead with my attempted testing. As always, I will report what I find.

darkstar076
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby darkstar076 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:43 am

Hi AcePalarum,

In answer to your question - I personally have not determined the relationship of X power = Y shockwave damage
The Uni-T Doomsday Generators were created using Imperial Methods. (i.e. put a DoomGen on a ship and launch it at an Imperial Ship, rinse repeat.)

But I would be rather curious to see the results of your research - it would help me tweak the different Doom gens
" . . wheres the KaBoom ? There was supose to be an Earth shattering, KaBoom . . "
Wisdom is something you generally obtain around three seconds after you needed it the most
-=Modding Guru & Egon Spengler of the Friendly Community Mod Squad=-
War Rocket Ajax
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby War Rocket Ajax » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:31 am

AcePalarum wrote:Welcome to the forums War Rocket Ajax!

Thanks!

War Rocket Ajax wrote:BTW - AcePalarum, that suicide ship would be one expensive bomb! :D

AcePalarum wrote: Expensive, yes, but also effective. I know both the Uni-T and Praetorian Industries mods have power plants for the express purpose of making ships go satisfyingly KABOOM. I can testify to the nastiness of the Uni-T brand - try the Point Blank survival mission included with the mod and you'll see the end result.

I'm looking forward to trying the other mods too, just scanning the posts here the ships are beautiful. When I first got the game I started thinking how cool the Yamato would look in it, and now I know.

AcePalarum wrote: And I'm guessing the extended silence means there hasn't been any directed research at this point, so I suppose I'll charge ahead with my attempted testing. As always, I will report what I find.

Bummer- But thanks for the tests. I tried one very simple test by throwing the rockwall.fx shader into a Crusader-class cruiser hull config file, but nothing happened. I think I have a substitute that may work using the pulseglows, but I'd rather do more tests to see if the shaders will work. I look forward to your results! :D
AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby AcePalarum » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:56 pm

Simple testing on hull size-to-shockwave size ratio has been completed:

Results seem to indicate that the shockwave radius is equal to the exploding hull length.

And remember that A) the distance is measure outward from the center of the exploding ship; and B) the opposing ship will only be damaged if its center is within the appropriate area. So tiny suicide ships - regardless of how much power they produce - are unlikely to destroy monstrous enemies unless the hull designs bring some exterior part of the big ship relatively close to its center (this would appear to be the one place where the Empire might actually have an advantage).

Tests have not yet been performed on the power-to-damage ratio, since as stated before, the proper amount of power for a suicide ship is P = Plenty.

AcePalarum
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby AcePalarum » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:09 pm

An additional bit of interesting - I know the notion of visible fighter turrets has been bandied about and as I recall it was determined you can't do it (aw poo). But a brief test of this theory provided an intriguing result.

Here are my test fighters. (I have a "Testing..." race to try out stuff that may or may not work.) These happen to be equipped with rockets, and they appear normally, as simple white ellipses:

Now here is the same fighter loadout with the rocket removed and replaced with a test weapon with turret size = 10 (same as the fighter size):

Rather odd, wouldn't you say? But interesting enough that I thought I'd share. Who knows, maybe someone will use this effect to do ... something nifty. :)

Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:01 am

Ace, thanks for sharing that. It's quite a surprise to see how the pseudo-turrets retained their full length but had their height compressed by approx. 50%. Curious, indeed.
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞

Return to “Gratuitous Modding”