[MOD] Star Blazers!

Welcome to the shipyards. Here you can discuss how to re-calibrate the positronic neutron flow to double power to the aft shields. Or you can discuss how to add new ships, new maps, new scenarios, new modules, etc. have fun!
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Re: [MOD] Star Blazers!

Postby Archduke Astro » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:33 am

tater, your SB mod is looking really sharp. That's even in spite of still being work-in-progress. I'm scouring various sources for quality top-down views of Gamilon ships, especially additional cruisers. My ability to work with .dds files (file conversion, color/shading, alpha channel) is seriously limited, though. I like what you've brought into the game thus far!
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞
tater
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby tater » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:26 am

I'm uploading a version for you to try right now. Stay tuned. I'm calling it version 0.5.

Needs a lot of balance testing. I can make a more stock GSB compatible version as well I suppose, too (shorter ranges).

Here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zzz4z3gnoyj

(still waiting on stupid filefront)

Note that if you want to be more SB-like, don't use any shields. I suppose in a later version I can give a huge, negative shield bonus.
tater
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby tater » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:25 pm

The Cosmo Tiger II seems perhaps a little overpowered. Of course I didn't give it a good counter on the Gamilon side. I think I need to give them the "Arrowlet"
tater
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby tater » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:04 pm

Musing on balance for ships with no armor (yeah, turns out there was a shield used once in the show—high resistance, low strength, perhaps almost zero recharge?).

I might tone all the damage values down, but have pretty good armor penetration on the big guns. I watched some youtubes of the show (had not seen it in decades, though the guy who wrote the miniatures game for SB is a friend of a guy I know from college, and I've met him a few times) and the shots seem to penetrate ships, punching loads of holes, then eventually they explode in a gratuitous way :)

So high penetration, low damage might be the way to go.
tater
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby tater » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:11 am

I did a quick test with all the hitpoints bumped via an integrity bonus increase.

Seemed interesting.

More definitively for now, I've been correcting some ranges I had wrong in 0.5. Now the Battleship triple beam (Yamato) has the longest range, followed by the cruiser triple beam, then the destroyer. I made the beams have faster ROFs as the range/size decreases. I also made a copy (exact, except for a HP increase) of the DD double turret for the cruisers. So you can put far lighter DD turrets on your CA/BB—the two triple CA turrets are VERY heavy. All have ranges between 1000-and 2400 (the huge range being Yamato's guns).

Sadly, I cannot make a "bullet" laser with 3 pulses at once.

I did similar tweaking on the Gamilon stuff. Since the Galmus turrets have 8 firing ports, I assumed they worked like a gatling gun of sorts, and gave them salvo_size = 8, and a longer reload time after those 8 quicker shots. In addition, I mapped many of the stuck turrets under the edf and gamilon "races" files to use the few turrets I already have. In addition, I made a "single barrel" gamilon DD turret.

Some weapons will be listed as "tubes" or "lower hull" and those have no visible turrets to mess up the ships.

I think what is called the "torpedo frigate" needs more standard boxes given that it is really an "old battleship." From a scale standpoint, it's clearly smaller in the show than the other BBs.

I also have a new fighter repair bay with fewer supplies that uses less crew and weight.

Tweaked the frigate damage control module (it's VERY slow now). The idea behind this was just good old fashioned damage control that assumes already existing crew for the most part. The notion is that set to cautious, a frigate might limp away and slowly repair.

I'm open to any and all feedback.
tater
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby tater » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:47 am

Need to do some color correction, etc...

Arrowlet II fighter added for Gamilons.

Cosmo Zero added for EDF.

Tweaked colors from above image. Improved some dds files. Slots in progress.

I expect version 0.6 to be up tonight or tomorrow.

Has anyone even DLed this and tried it, or am I just doing this for myself? :)
Last edited by tater on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tater
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby tater » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:05 am

The Cosmo Zero (still need to go back and tweak running lights):
tater
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby tater » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:26 pm

Strictly following a "no shields" rule in making ships has left me with heavily armored or quite fast ships.

One thing I need to adjust is cost of hulls, etc. My gut says the EDF and the battered Earth should pay more for everything.
tater
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby tater » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:17 pm

I'm sort of blogging my ideas so I don't forget them, and/or remember to test them.

I added (it's in the 0.50 version available above) a set of engines for frigate that produce twice the thrust at more than twice the cost, and around twice the weight (think the HPs are not quite twice). I wanted EDF and Gamilon ships to be faster but didn't just want a speed bonus, though that is also an easy thing to do instead. The idea was to have more movement of ships since:

1. I find piles of overlapping ships ugly.

2. Seems wrong for Star Blazers.

3. I made a couple HUGE maps, and I want placement, orders, and maneuver to matter more.

Regarding a suggestion post I made, it would be really, really useful for missile weapons (all weapons?) to have an entry that allows the designer to disallow attacks on certain classes of targets. I'd love to set missiles/torpedoes designed to attack capital ships to NEVER be fired at other fighters. Then you could set the fighter engagement range for a bomber at 150 or whatever, and they'd fly for their cruiser targets, and shoot fighters that attacked them—but not waste the torpedoes.

I realize that in the stock game where fighters magically carry 10,000+ torpedoes this is not a huge issue, but I want proper fighter/bomber interactions. This is clearly also an issue for the naval warfare mod.
Tavar
Line Manager
Line Manager

Postby Tavar » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:42 pm

Hmmm...tried to download it through crome or firefox, but got the same message both times: your browser doesn't support downloads from mediafire. Funny thing is, it worked a couple days ago. Anyone know what the problem could be, or how to fix it?
tater
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby tater » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:19 pm

Useful.

Thanks to hopefast, I now have some sense of what the DM needs to be. Downside is I'm redoing a bunch of damaged states :)
tater
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby tater » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:26 am

Working on some new icons for race-specific stuff. Old shot, I have a torpedo one now, too :)
tater
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby tater » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:48 am

Some more:

Revenge II (Gamilon carrier). I just finished the DM for her. Seems to work.
tater
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby tater » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:19 pm

I completely redid the Gamilon Destroyer I had before in photoshop.

Hmm, triple beam needs to be a tad more narrow.
tater
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby tater » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:30 am

I think this is to the point I can upload it for another test. That is assuming that anyone cares and I'm not talking to myself, lol :)

I have to take the kids to skating practice, but later tonight I'll up this puppy.

Return to “Gratuitous Modding”