Original Lightwave Models: Federation Puma and Eagle Cruiser

Welcome to the shipyards. Here you can discuss how to re-calibrate the positronic neutron flow to double power to the aft shields. Or you can discuss how to add new ships, new maps, new scenarios, new modules, etc. have fun!
eRe4s3r
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Re: Original Lightwave Models: Federation Puma and Eagle Cruiser

Postby eRe4s3r » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:57 pm

Well because i am waiting for something to install...

Mod 1 = Playing around ;)
Mod 2 = Original Mesh with my fancy(TM) light setup/cel render voodoo

And because PSD files in zips suck.. here are PNG's .. actually wanted to use it before but thought it would go beyond the size limits ;)

Actually i am not sure the resolution is right for this one.. heh

Edit: And actually i just noticed that i didn't even zoom in fully.. .. ah well
Attachments
Mod 2.png
Modification 2
Mod 2.png (213.48 KiB) Viewed 9907 times
Mod 1.png
Modification 1
Mod 1.png (255.17 KiB) Viewed 9907 times
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:35 pm

That's great. It would be excellent to see a mod that added some additional ships using that technique.
Mr. Weedy
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Mr. Weedy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:22 pm

That mod 1 ship looks nice. :D Just make the engines a bit larger and a bit more far away from the hull and it will be perfect. :)

Nice job with the ships mate.
Xen_Zer0
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Postby Xen_Zer0 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:09 am

"I think it would be awesome to have a number of different textured versions of the same ships to choose from. This was something I thought about ages ago, but the workload just got ridiculous, because it also means re-applying all the damage and hulk stuff...
However I definitely like the idea, even though it also means a lot more to download. I need to scratch my ehad and work out a way to make this stuff easier to mod..."

what about a layered format....targa, maybe? for the tex maps? Ive done some texture modding for other games that use a color filter layer (or several!) to create a "team color" pallette...relic's "Dawn of War" jumps to mind. it basically uses a series of alpha layers to allow the different colors to show through on the model, and some areas are a "base" that cant be changed. I have no idea how that would work with your .DDS format...however failing something that elaborate, id really like at least 2 colors...home and away jerseys if you will. the "goodguy/badguy" button is nice but the shading means that you lose the immersiveness. This is my "fishtank" game, after all. i want to watch the pretty lights!

Anyway, thats a bit off topic....errr im gonna download one and put it in max, then move it over to my CAM software and see what happens. never fear. i wont sell anything i make
Xen_Zer0
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Postby Xen_Zer0 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:21 am

oh. right. any chance i can get that in lightwave .OBJ or even a neutral format like.3ds? funny. turns out theres no good way to import lightwave .lwo to 3d studio :) Im not concerned with the texture data at all, just the 3d model.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:47 am

Xen_Zer0 wrote: funny. turns out theres no good way to import lightwave .lwo to 3d studio :)

I can assure you that during the games development, this was not vaguely funny. it was a flipping nightmare!
Xen_Zer0
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Postby Xen_Zer0 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:48 pm

Eraser: If you would post the models as an OBJ (i.e. format compatible with free(er) software) or whatever, i can host it. ill even include an appropriate disclaimer. I think that between c4d and max we should have everything covered. I tried one of those 3d model viewers but no worky.
eRe4s3r
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby eRe4s3r » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:50 am

Hah, i would have done that already - but they are too large to be posted here, obj isn't exactly the most optimized model format ;p
Sorry for the late reply, i was kinda busy lately ;P

The path to import it to 3dsmax is via Cinema 4D or Blender (blender has a lwo importer) then from that to wavefront obj and from obj to 3dsmax ;) Though of course textures or even colors will be entirely borked

Lightwave could export to obj (pretty sure of that) but since now we have lwo files 3dsmax import is gonna be fun ;) I was pretty surprised c4d could open the lwo file like that, an it even contains the textures and texturemaps (of course, they aren't included so they are dead but it works pretty well) - Well yeah ;p

As for making the engine larger.. if only that were so easy ,p LWO has a entirely different way to group the mesh so when importing it the end-result is a huge mesh with many polygon tags with texture tag following - this means you can't easily select an element but only TEXTURE groups. Manually selection is too fiddly for my short attention span, since they are pretty high poly meshes...

To attach the OBJ format here the attachment would need to allow 2mb or so. (even compressed the files are rather large..)
Xen_Zer0
Line Supervisor
Line Supervisor

Postby Xen_Zer0 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:40 am

alright. sorry, im not that familiar with lightwave...even huge max models zip down very nicely, evidently OBJs do not. Dont worry, ill find a way!
eRe4s3r
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby eRe4s3r » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:59 am

Xen_Zer0 wrote:alright. sorry, im not that familiar with lightwave...even huge max models zip down very nicely, evidently OBJs do not. Dont worry, ill find a way!

Well i am not sure how cliffski sees this ;) Since its his copyright i can't just send the files via email otherwise I'd have offered that.
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:53 am

If anyone wants any converted files hosted here, just email me them, or a link and I'll set it up.
I tend to respond quicker to email than posts here to be honest.
eRe4s3r
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby eRe4s3r » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:19 am

Now i just need to know how to find your email ;p (no i am not kidding, i must be blind!) i will send the obj files to that.. ehm once i find it ^^
cliffski
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby cliffski » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:39 pm

cliff AT positech dot co dot uk
eRe4s3r
Senior Line Supervisor
Senior Line Supervisor

Postby eRe4s3r » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:13 pm

Lo ;) after much delay and thanks to cliff you can now download the ships in obj format.. i converted them but it wasn't rocket science - when importing them you *have* to fix the smoothing groups via smooth (in 3dsmax)

http://www.positech.co.uk/gratuitousspa ... ds/obj.rar

Things to note
- Smoothing groups are gone
- Textures are gone
- You can no longer select stuff by element

Might be useful to some
Hybrinoid
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Hybrinoid » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:37 pm

um... why the hell does text appear (A LOT OF IT) when i click the link...?
My Gratuitous Youtube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/hybrinoid

Return to “Gratuitous Modding”