Anyone up for a Gratuitous Space Battles Modding Cult?

Welcome to the shipyards. Here you can discuss how to re-calibrate the positronic neutron flow to double power to the aft shields. Or you can discuss how to add new ships, new maps, new scenarios, new modules, etc. have fun!
N3MES1S
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Re: Anyone up for a Gratuitous Space Battles Modding Cult?

Postby N3MES1S » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:02 am

Archduke Astro wrote:
darkstar076 wrote:(I do not think its appropriate to clutter this thread with the how-to)

Thanks, Darkstar; you're quite correct. Going forward from this point, further discussion of custom bullet sprites belongs in the Guide.

BTW, thank you for linking to the Guide itself. :) Too many people foolishly ignore it.

============================================================

All GSB1 modders:
Right at the very top of this forum, there is a special "sticky" thread named the GSB Modding 101 Guide. It's super-easy to see, so there is no excuse for not reading it. Because this forum for GSB1 Gratuitous Modding is a nearly uninhabited "ghost town", everyone with a modding question would be wise to read that guide before asking their questions. This is not merely a polite request from the site leadership to the public.

For more information, check the new P.S.A. (Public Service Announcement) I've just created for this subject.

============================================================

Now returning back on-topic to the GSB1 Modding Cult.

I am not one of those who ignores guides. In fact, before i quit it was one of my beloved most consulted sections of the forum. But i completely forgot about it lol. That happens when I stay away for 4 years lol.

About the topic itself, i could start posting my current mod in here, but my plan was to do it for GSB2. Meaning, that if someday clifski makes the modding in GSB2 more friendly and allow using custom elements without restrictions, i will probably will move the mod to GSB2.

If GSB2 was as modding-friendly as GSB1 is there will be no motive at all to keep modding for gsb1. Theoretically GSB2 will be exactly as GSB1 but better, with improved graphics, more special effects and ideal to make total converison mods. Remaining here will be pointless.

But until that time for GSB2 arrives.. (im afraid it doesnt look too good) GSB1 is the only one to mod for. Nobody moved to GSB2 because honestly the gameplay itself is not much better than GSB. If i move to GSB2 it would be only because of the modding possibilites. The people who left GSB1 modding forums are not in the GSB2 forums. They just left..

So, should i post my mod and start the cult with another member? :s
curtis.johnson
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby curtis.johnson » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:09 pm

I hereby pledge my allegiance to the Cult of Gratuitous Modding!

I haven't yet done much work on my current project, but when it FINALLY finishes it'll hopefully be appreciated ^_^
Download DookCraft Laboratories V1.2:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c95bpd6ubk0h5dh/DookCraft+Laboratories+1.2.zip

Download Enhanced Empire V1.0:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6rxxazdtby4x1a8/Enhanced+Empire+Mod+V1.0.zip
N3MES1S
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby N3MES1S » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:27 am

curtis.johnson wrote:I hereby pledge my allegiance to the Cult of Gratuitous Modding!

I haven't yet done much work on my current project, but when it FINALLY finishes it'll hopefully be appreciated ^_^

Any mod is appreciated specially now that looks like the forums are totally abandoned. Im also working in a mod, the problem is i always invest too much work on em because i like to do things right. And at the same time i love to "play" with sketchup and vray rendering the models. But my mod will be soon ok to release, but posting it here.. that i dunno. I dont know what will be the purpose since nobody comes at these forums anymore..
Archduke Astro
Positech Staff
Positech Staff

Postby Archduke Astro » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:32 am

Glad to see that the cult is making progress, even if right now it's measured in centimeters instead of megameters.

N3MES1S wrote:Any mod is appreciated specially now that looks like the forums are totally abandoned.

N3MES1S wrote:I dont know what will be the purpose since nobody comes at these forums anymore..

These forums are not, as you mis-stated, totally abandoned. The site staff, myself included, (who are also players of GSB1 and GSB2) are interested in what happens in these discussion areas. Of course, spam prevention & other backend concerns takes up much of our attention instead of the fun stuff.

There are plenty of lurkers visiting here who almost never post. There are also multiple forum members who are frequently searching these forums. Those folks have an interest, albeit not a actively social one. If one of you sparks something interesting, you might be surprised at what kind of attention may become pointed in the direction of your modding cult. As content creators, it's up to you to take the first step.

May the cult experience all possible success despite the absence of a closely-engaged audience. Stay true to your motivation! :)
•• Positech Global Moderator & Forum Sheriff ••
GSB "Combined-Arms Combat" Advocate & Analyst
Enemy of Forum Lulz | Defender of Faction Diversity

∞∆……CURATOR OF CREATIVE CONCEPTS for GSB's Friendly Community Mod Squad……∆∞
N3MES1S
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby N3MES1S » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:21 am

I didnt mean the staff is gone, what i meant is, people who used to mod for GSB is already gone. I mean, if you post your mod in the forums to SHARE it with the community.. what will be the point if there is no one to share with? :p
dafrandle
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby dafrandle » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:51 am

you could try throwing a link up on steam, although it's doubtful any of the one actually become anything more than a lurker on the forums over here
having a job has allowed me to understand why Archduke Astro has no time to work on his mods
N3MES1S
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby N3MES1S » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:29 pm

Nah, i only considered to post mods if the community was at least active. Right now is totally abandoned (by the modders) so it will be dumb to post anything at all. If things change in the future we will see but i dont have hopes. Not in GSB2 not in GSB1... it seems that GSB reached the final destination..
Eich
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby Eich » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:32 am

Never Forget. ;)

PS: Please write me down as an inactive member.
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.
Zina Lazo
Junior Line Supervisor
Junior Line Supervisor

Postby Zina Lazo » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:05 am

Eich wrote:PS: Please write me down as an inactive member.

curtis.johnson wrote:I hereby pledge my allegiance to the Cult of Gratuitous Modding!

Both Noted and recorded, have been busy with my mod and trying to rebuild some of the assets as the computer repair is looking very far off at the moment.

P.S. Curtis, I also look forward to more from your mod, preferably any of that "huge story thing" you talked about :P
curtis.johnson
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby curtis.johnson » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:52 pm

Zina Lazo wrote:P.S. Curtis, I also look forward to more from your mod, preferably any of that "huge story thing" you talked about :P

It's taking longer than expected. Main problem is getting weapons to work on fighters and motivation. But I'll keep going :P And I think I realised the fighter problem as I post this.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c95bpd6ubk0h5dh/DookCraft+Laboratories+1.2.zip

N3MES1S
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby N3MES1S » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:47 pm

Im also going to post my mod soon enough. As soon as i solve the problem with the campaign. If i dont solve the campaign problem soon i will forget about posting any mod.

What problem you having with the fighter weapons?
curtis.johnson
Type III Robot
Type III Robot

Postby curtis.johnson » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:14 pm

Attempting to create a fighter hull in the editor. Turned a softpoint into a hardpoint, it appeared to disappear. I now know that it was because the hardpoint appears as a weapon for ease of aesthetic design, but I thought it was just breaking and wouldn't let me place hardpoints. It's fine.

N3MES1S
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby N3MES1S » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:40 pm

curtis.johnson wrote:Attempting to create a fighter hull in the editor. Turned a softpoint into a hardpoint, it appeared to disappear. I now know that it was because the hardpoint appears as a weapon for ease of aesthetic design, but I thought it was just breaking and wouldn't let me place hardpoints. It's fine.

Yup, thats a feature i dont like either. Sometimes it is too difficult to see the hardpoint when is switched to a turret graphic. Specially when working with big sprites that is a pain in the....

Well, now that i know that GSB2 is definitely abandoned, dunno if im going to post my mod in the forums, i am a bit dissapointed. But probably i will, before i stop modding for GSB (again..).
bradjames
Junior Line Worker
Junior Line Worker

Postby bradjames » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:45 am

My advised for you N3MES1S don't stop modding for GSB and don't get disappointed and take it as a challenge.
Last edited by bradjames on Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N3MES1S
Supreme Robot
Supreme Robot

Postby N3MES1S » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:56 am

bradjames wrote:My advised for you N3MES1S don't stop modding for GSB and don't get disappointed and take it as a challenge.

I never stopped modding for GSB. Even a couple of years back, when for personal reasons and not enough time i just literally abandoned the development of some of my mods, i still kept doing some work on modding but really really really slowly. I even finished a mod (Stargate, the Tauri race) that i started recently to continue slowly and it is the one that i will post here. The one i will post is the entire Tauri race completed (i was planning on doing more races) and thats it for now. When i have the time to take some screenshots and test the campaign, we will have another mod in the GSB community to keep trying to resurrect lol.

Return to “Gratuitous Modding”